Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt J's "Word Racing" timewaster/game for the stay-at-home COVID-19 days of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The second race:
    A one-way race through The City, with many tight turns. The worst of which comes after five sections (the first word). Racers on equal amount of points at this bottleneck will likely crash, causing themselves major delays (10 point penalty) and riders behind them minor delays (5 point penalty). There is a significant updraft at the 14th of 15 sections due to an exposed grate that gives of excess heat, causing a boost of speed (double-letter score).

Despite zero interest, no crowds are anticipated, and TV coverage remains absent.

Test racer: "Goats climb goofy." scores an slightly above average 90, even with the double score for the 'f' in goofy.

This race will run sometime tomorrow, at about the time of this edit. (Assuming at least 5 entries.)
    Last edited by matt j; 16-03-2020, 20:48. Reason: Clue and when the race will run.

Comment

Am I the only poster on here absolutely bamboozled by all this?

Yep, thought so. Looks great fun but.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
        Am I the only poster on here absolutely bamboozled by all this?

Yep, thought so. Looks great fun but.
        It's a puzzle, but not a serious one.

Tl;dr: You can join in the races just by submitting a sentence made up of three 5-letter words. That's it, the rest is window-dressing goofiness.

Comment

Moped bands moped

(context: a sub genre of mod were bands known as moped bands after their Vespas. When they failed to be successful they got rather downcast)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Moped bands moped

(context: a sub genre of mod were bands known as moped bands after their Vespas. When they failed to be successful they got rather downcast)
            Judge accepts the context and entry approved for Race #2. Good luck!

Comment

Fuck knows how I'm in the lead, but here goes: Suede pants chafe - because they do.

Comment

Fresh onion steam

Comment

Skink balls smell - lizards rarely wash down there.
                  Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 16-03-2020, 21:18.

Comment

Toxic tripe trope - the idea, prevalent among scriptwriters, that offal is so awful it's basically poisonous.

Comment

Three valid entries.(VTS, Sporting, SD)

delicatemoth Judge asks what word is acting as the verb there? trope?

Comment

Point north zippy – a polite instruction for the mouthy Rainbow character to fuck off

Comment

Potty mouth woman

Context: Mrs 7610 has just learnt that I am expected to continue commuting into London for the rest of this week.

Comment

Ninja kicks fluff

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post

Does there have to be a verb? It's the same construction as 'potty mouth woman', a noun preceded by an adjectival noun. Do I need to think of something else?

Comment

Quick khazi visit

Comment

Break Frank Zappa

Comment

Eight jolly squid.

Comment

Are late entrants allowed in or do I have to wait until the start of a new season?

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                                        Are late entrants allowed in or do I have to wait until the start of a new season?
                                        Late entrants welcome anytime during the season, you just miss potential points is all.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post

Can we have a ruling on this? English sentences don't have to contain a verb, but maybe in this competition they do.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Does there have to be a verb? It's the same construction as 'potty mouth woman', a noun preceded by an adjectival noun. Do I need to think of something else?
                                            Judge has ruled that declarative exclamatory statements qualify for sentence construction, though does ask that proper punctuation is used to avoid further confusion. Right! The Judge has also requested the governing body of World Word Racing (the WWR - currently under interpol investigation for multi-level marketing schemes) to review both proper nouns and sentences lacking noun-verb construction in the off season.

Fans, or rather fan, or rather Jeff has declared, "Never has a supposedly non-partisan official made such an egregious decision in any sport or competition ever. This is truly the end of word racing as we know it, and there is no turning back. What's next, allowing foreigners to play our national game with their fancy spellings, or poetry that doesn't rhyme? With no hyperbole, this is the end of days."

On the other side of the debate, Jeff's mum has said, "Oh, I quite like a good declarative exclamation. Reminds me of the good ole days of tabloid headlines. Like from the Munich Olympics: 'Spitz glitz blitz!' or that Rafael Nadal biscuit shocker: 'Raffa Jaffa Laugher' or from Hollywood: 'Jocko Docko Shocko!'"

Comment

also, all entries declared valid for race #2 so far.

Comment

When are we in the starting stalls? Or is it a taped start as in the Grand National?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  When are we in the starting stalls? Or is it a taped start as in the Grand National?
                                                  probably in 5-6 hours, roughly when I closed the race yesterday. Waiting for a few 1st race participants to give me what will surely be a perfect entry for race #2.

Comment

Plant mimes yodel

No idea what I’m doing but I enjoyed your first race report so much I want to be in one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X