Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt J's "Word Racing" timewaster/game for the stay-at-home COVID-19 days of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Matt.

Who liked it a bit to affront

Comment

This is a great idea for a theme for the week, though I confess I only approached mine 'poetically', as it were, rather than paying any heed to how it might score. I'm going to have to go and see where San Bernardhinault scored in Race 1 to find out I would've done there at any rate.

I really hope we'll have everyone's completed limericks published side-by-side at the finish line. I've had fun flicking back and forth between the two pages so far to see how they look to be shaping up, other than the more-than-slightly incomprehensible few that are being published in tactical order rather than line order.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        This is a great idea for a theme for the week, though I confess I only approached mine 'poetically', as it were, rather than paying any heed to how it might score. I'm going to have to go and see where San Bernardhinault scored in Race 1 to find out I would've done there at any rate.

I really hope we'll have everyone's completed limericks published side-by-side at the finish line. I've had fun flicking back and forth between the two pages so far to see how they look to be shaping up, other than the more-than-slightly incomprehensible few that are being published in tactical order rather than line order.
        Ditto

Comment

Ditto.

Er, I mean, surely everyone is taking the 'race' part seriously, right?

(For me, I realized (remembered) after writing that sonnet a few pages back that writing poetry can actually just be fun. I don't know why this seemed like a shock, but this whole timewaster has kind of made me try and get my head straight about doing more writing just for writing's sake.)

Comment

Heheh, what a happy upshot!

Comment

Limerick Week, Race 2 results:

Perhaps it's that every racing team is stuck reading Ulysses and arguing over the proper meaning of a false rhyme scheme and what exactly is the proper noun-verb relationship when discussing team sports, but fundamentally, in the 2nd week of our races, once again most team's entries couldn't manage to find the pacing required to keep up with the test racer.

Thankfully, this race, fan favorite sits, upon the stairs, like the stars upon the ocean, waiting, confidently like a cat waits for its owners to return, that proved at least capable of tying the test racer, if not defeating them.

Strong showings from the smasha Balderdasha and the cleano San Bernardhinault, kept both of those teams in the hunt for the first ever Limerick word racing world champion.

A three-way tie for fourth (horned-luge diable rouge, rambler lambers, track-star slackster) pushed perennial favorite the ad hoc ultimatum down the table to depths they've never experienced before.
              Racer Name Race Placing
              sits 1
              Test Racer X
              San Bernardhinault 2
              balderdasha 3
              diable rouge 4
              lambers 4
              slackster 4
              ad hoc 7
              sean of the shed 8
              nmrfox 9
              Southport Zeb 10
              Various Artist 11
              sporting 12
              Racer Name Place Race #1 Place Race #2
              ad hoc 2 7
              balderdasha 1 3
              diable rouge 9 4
              lambers 5 4
              nmrfox 8 9
              San Bernardhinault 3 2
              Sean of the Sead 10 8
              sits 7 1
              slackster 6 4
              Soutport Zeb 11 10
              sporting 4 12
              test racer X X
              Various Artist XX 11
              On-words to race #3:

------

Limerick week, Race #3:

So I went to a bar in Wisconsin...- scores 148
              said, "I will have a tonic and gin" - scores 151
              The bartender flipped his lid, - scores 141

Comment

Unhappy with self-effacement

Comment

She tried simmering lobsters

Comment

I think his rhyming was skeezy

Comment

A mishap with his clippers

Comment

A chicken crossed over the road

Comment

He's abusing his power

Comment

When in need of some ointment

Comment

Chloroquine laced peaches

Comment

Through this healthy routine,

Comment

I once met a gal from Down Under

Comment

A militant infant called Biff

Comment

While inscribing a limerick

Comment

Sorry, a little slow getting this posted....

Limerick Week, Race #3:

I would say that race #3 was in honor of some of James Joyce's less familiar works, but the more you look at his less familiar works and private letters.... well, let's just say don't.

Speaking of gas, it was time for the traditional 'watching of ad hoc slowly take command of the week' as the racer previously known as propterhoc got into high gear, and loosed his fumes at the trailing riders. various artist, working on the new album 'polka classics of the 1940s', found some of their schnitzel thing and claimed 2nd on the podium, while sits, booboo, sits, claimed third. These ended up being the only riders finishing ahead of our test rider for this race.

Down at the 'back end', smells were emanating from the the trio that couldn't quite find enough push to challenge. Sean of the Shed revealed the problem with mixing word racing and politics. One might say both nmrfox and San Bernardhinault had the same issue.
                                        Racer Name Race Place
                                        ad hoc 1
                                        various artist 2
                                        sits 3
                                        slackster 4
                                        diable rouge 5
                                        lambers 5
                                        sporting 7
                                        Balderdasha 8
                                        Southport zeb 9
                                        San Bernardhinault 10
                                        nmrfox 11
                                        sean of the shed 12

ad hoc's revival has put that squad on track for a the week title.

Comment

Limerick Week, Race #4:
                                          "We've only piss, hair, and Covid!" - scores 124

Comment

Keep your bowel squeaky clean

Comment

For fifteen biffing mobsters

Comment

I love that I grabbed 2nd without any attempt to 'race' whatsoever. I think there's a lesson to be learned here somewhere. I look forward to plummetting back to the rear of the pack anyway with my fourth line:

He must book an appointment

Comment

Minced up his new slippers

Comment

But for fifty fields of purple

Comment

Working...
                                                    X