Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt J's "Word Racing" timewaster/game for the stay-at-home COVID-19 days of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt j View Post

I have to admit, one of the little joys is seeing a few people get it and trying to guess when they got it, and then seeing the flailing from others and wondering what I've kept too obscure.

The 'answer-in-the-form-of-a-question' felt so blatant, I couldn't believe only a few people actually did it.
    Can I stick a question mark on the end of my entry for this race, e.g. Wrest every wreck?

Comment

Also:

If not obvious, 'Week 2' will extend into next week to finish off race 9 and race 10. I'll have a good long think about what I've done and reconsider my course of actions this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Can I stick a question mark on the end of my entry for this race, e.g. Wrest every wreck?
        the judge prefers proper punctuation for every entry, but a question mark won't really do you any good for this race.

Comment

The 'answer-in-the-form-of-a-question' felt so blatant, I couldn't believe only a few people actually did it.
          Jeopardy! is not really a thing in the Netherlands.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            Yes, as DR has it, Hewed is the verb, Eider is the noun
            I was working under the assumption that the order "noun, verb, other word" was imposed. But I appreciate that the original instructions did leave room for your and DR's interpretation.

Comment

the judge prefers proper punctuation for every entry, but a question mark won't really do you any good for this race.
              Fair enough, leave it as it was then!

Comment

Bored sheep excel.

Comment

Results coming in probably a few hours for Race #9. There is still some time for missing racers to submit their sentences.

(Results will also be delayed until I come up with a plan for Race #10, so there is that too.)

Comment

I was basically off the boards last week (for sanity reasons), so didn't have the chance to follow up my encouraging late debut in Week 1. I assumed today would be another fresh start, yet I see from the posts on this page the previous set of races are apparently not complete yet – was there some controversy holding things up?

I'm wondering if it's still possible in that case to run in today's race just as a pacemaker and see how long I can hold up for, or will I need to train another day or two to get match-fit once more first?

Addle every devil.
                    Last edited by Various Artist; 30-03-2020, 15:25.

Comment

Yes, the controversy being that I was much slower getting results posted than I planned last week.

Judge badly plans.

Comment

Results of Race #9:

The sticklers race...

or sorry, not a race but a 'competition', since this particular 'competition' although it does cover a distance... okay, so it doesn't actually cover a distance, but instead, is on the basis of time... well, not an actual deadline of time, but instead is a 'competition' based upon travelling as far as one can... in a certain amount of time allotted, going as far...

wait, isn't that still a race?

At any rate, after the traditional selfie-stick-of-violence-battle, the race began in earnest!

The 12-panel board of observers were quite ecstatic to see that all racers came prepared with a classic sentence, though at least 11 of them got the vapors from the ad hoc team's formulation. "Oh, I feel faint," each one of the 11 exclaimed. (The 12th, Jimothy Moe Bob, just stuck his horn to his ear and led out a long drawn-out "EHHHHhhhhhh, whipper-snapper?")

At any rate, the ad hoc team looked likely to be in the running for the race for the podium of the position that represents the top 3 spots of the finishers. Big "D", Wouter D, also had his engine clearly tuned and running like hot butter off your garlic bread into the oven burners, letting off an acrid smoke. Excuse me for a moment....

Also in the top 3 from the get-go was late entry, Various Artist, turning from his lucrative recording career to the Word Racing Circuit. "I love your 'Greatest Garage Rock hits of the 70s'," screamed the fans.

Struggling from the off, indigestion sufferer delicatemoth, nmrfox, and daffy or donald-ish elguapo04. Also Sporting.

"Noun-verb-other-werb" chanted the fans in attendance, or rather fan, or rather Herbert.

Into the second stretch, known locally as "the good time for a nap", where Various Artist couldn't keep pace with the two leaders, falling behind to sign a few Motown box sets. Sits, around the house, Shen of the Sead of the Sean , and ye olde S-B found a gear they'd forgotten about, and put in a good effort. A real solid effort the boys should be proud of, real 100%, leaving it all there on the track. Something to build on for the future, really contributing to the overall competition.

Not really finding his groove thing was slackster, his turbines whining and exhaling a strange purple haze.

The final lap! elguapo04 found some speed, a really good bag of, and then the Hot! Hot! Hot! Orange did as well, but let's be clear, in the first ever sticklers race, there was no competition for a duo of Wouter D and the ad hoc team, the latter slowed slightly, but the former didn't, and under the rules of word racing, the first ever tie for first place!

Not too far of the pace, VTS, putting in fine last leg (don't sue us), as did Of the Shed Sean of the, who speaks for the trees.

A sad day for delicatemoth, slackster, and nmrfox. No soup for you.

Comment

Team/User Place Race #9 Points Race #9
                          Wouter D 1 33
                          ad hoc 1 33
                          Vicarious Thrillseeker 3 30
                          Sean of the Shed 4 28
                          lambers 5 26
                          Diable Rouge 6 24
                          San Bernardhinault 7 21
                          Various Artist 7 21
                          Hot Orange 8 18
                          Balderdasha 10 16
                          elguapo04 11 14
                          sits 12 12
                          Sporting 13 9
                          Southport Zeb 13 9
                          nmrfox 15 5
                          slackster 15 5
                          delicatemoth 17 2

Comment

Team/User Week 1 points Race 6 points Race 7 points Race 8 points Race 9 points Week 2 Total Season Total
                            lambers 118 36 32 28 26 122 240
                            ad hoc 126 34 20 32 33 119 245
                            San Bernardhinault 82 26 27 30 21 104 186
                            Wouter D 120 7 22 34 33 96 216
                            sean of the shed 122 14 30 22 28 94 216
                            Vicarious Thrillseeker 48 7 27 26 30 90 138
                            hot orange 96 11 36 20 18 85 181
                            diable rouge 88 32 12 14 24 82 170
                            sits 54 23 16 24 12 75 129
                            Balderdasha 14 19 18 16 16 69 83
                            Southport Zeb 68 16 34 2 9 61 129
                            slackster 68 30 12 6 5 53 121
                            elguapo04 60 23 4 8 14 49 109
                            nmrfox 56 3 12 18 5 38 94
                            Sporting 68 3 8 12 9 32 100
                            delicatemoth 88 19 6 4 2 31 119
                            andrew7610 104 28 2 30 134
                            Patrick Thistle 10 24 24 34
                            Various Artist 46 21 21 67
                            ursus arctos 70 11 11 81
                            s.aureus 0 10 10 10
                            Kevin S 110 0 110

Comment

Race #10:

The end of the season! The end of the official week 2 closure cup competition! The last chance for individual glory, respect, the love of your parents, free toilet paper, and lots and lots of imaginary money! Like so much, I'm waving like millions of it right now.

What are the rules for Race #10? None but the following, to proceed around a bird watching path through beautiful suburban <redacted> you must submit:

1) 15-total letters

2) they must form at least 1 word, or 3, or 5, or 7. Any number of words, even an even number of words.

3) The letters and words, in their proper order, must also have, to be judged by the judge, proper punctuation. Indeed! (e.g., they still must be 'sentences' but a declaration/exclamation like "Indeed!" would qualify as a sentence, if it had 15 letters, which it doesn't.)

4) Everyone must provide context. Just cause I think it's funny when you do.

Final Clue for this week:
                              "Accomplishments?" - a dreadful scorer

Comment

How does this work?

(That is both a question about the game which I have no longer got any clue how the scoring works, and my submission for this week).

Comment

Reused shreddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                    Reused shreddies.
                                    I would ask for context, but having googled shreddie... no, I don't really need to. Do they at least add some sugar to them?

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                      How does this work?

(That is both a question about the game which I have no longer got any clue how the scoring works, and my submission for this week).
                                      Well, it makes you feel better, your results are certainly coming to a middle.

Comment

Confusion reigns.

Comment

Drive me to drink.........and I never had the courtesy to thank you.

Comment

Vodka never helps. Which explains my pitiful showing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              no problem. and "drives" probably?

Comment

I would ask for context, but having googled shreddie... no, I don't really need to. Do they at least add some sugar to them?
                                                There is a completely different context if you look up shreddies on Urban Dictionary

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  I've just realised that's only 14 letters so,driven me to drink.

Comment

We ride or we slide!

This was the proclamation from the organisers of an early edition of the Giro when there was black ice for most of the descent of the Stelvio. They refused to cancel the stage and said that the riders could choose to descent on two wheels - riding - or on their arses down the ice - sliding.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X