Last Covid-19-free country / territory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for spotting that Discordant Resonance

I'll update the first page to add Palau. Nobody seemed to have selected it, so it doesn't change who's still in the game.

Comment

With these Pacific islands, the Judge will have to decide if a visiting ship in quarantine counts as being in the territory.

Kiribati (Sean of the Shed) has registered 2 cases a while back, but did they go ashore?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/...id-discoveries

Comment

The Wiki page records Kiribati as May 18th, and has Covid-free status restricted now to North Korea*, Turkmenistan*, Nauru, Tonga and Tuvalu of sovereign states, with Cook Islands the most populous dependent territory.

Comment

I thought North Korea had declared a Covid-19 case.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
            The Wiki page records Kiribati as May 18th, and has Covid-free status restricted now to North Korea*, Turkmenistan*, Nauru, Tonga and Tuvalu of sovereign states, with Cook Islands the most populous dependent territory.
            The link I provided outlines that Kiribati case, and the issue raised. Still in the clear, officially.

Comment

Worldometers, which is the main site I refer to, still has Kiribati in the clear, and from reading that link, I don't think any cases have been reported on the island itself, only on a boat moored there, so I continue to consider Kiribati Covid-free. Good luck to them keeping it that way.

Comment

American Samoa has joined the chat

American Samoa reported its first coronavirus case, 18 months into the pandemic, after a traveler tested positive after flying to the U.S. territory from Hawaii. The positive case was discovered during a quarantine period required upon arrival in American Samoa. The traveler was fully vaccinated, according to a news release published Friday by American Samoa’s Department of Homeland Security, and the positive result was confirmed by the Health Department Thursday. Officials say the individual tested negative before traveling. The traveler was asymptomatic when tested, according to the news release, and will continue to be monitored.

Comment

Thanks. It's not showing up on worldometers yet, possibly because it's a territory rather than an independent country? I don't think anyone chose it so it doesn't affect who's still in the running.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                    A surprising number of posters are still in the running to win this competition:

ursus arctos : Tristan da Cunha

longeared : North Korea
                    lambers : Nauru
                    tee rex : Tokelau
                    ​​​​​​@Greenlander : Pitcairn Islands
                    delicatemoth : Ascension Island
                    Sean of the Shed : Kiribati
                    Various Artist : the Cook Islands
                    Antepli Ejderha : Tonga
                    Stobart : Tuvalu
                    It's reached Tonga (from NZ). The gong sounds for Antepli Ejderha.

Comment

Local media are reporting a case in the Cook Islands.

Comment

Oh crap. I've been in the game for 20 and a half months, looks like I might be out at last though. I hope the Cook Islanders are OK and any outbreak can be contained as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I'll have to transfer all my attention to Whamageddon instead by the look of things.

Comment

You might be in the clear. It's being reported as a "historic" case so not yet showing up in the official numbers.

Comment

The Pacific Islands are interesting to me - I remember reading early on that they were a critical problem because their isolation meant that the residents generally don't develop the kinds of immunity to disease that people who're in constant contact with people from all over develop. The theory was that if one case got to an island it would run out of control, and cause widespread problems. Yet with the exception of Fiji and French Polynesia, it appears that the few cases that have appeared so far have been rapidly identified and isolated, and that overall case and death numbers are pretty low across the region compared to everywhere else.

Comment

Palau is now showing up on the worldometers page with 8 cases (all recovered at the moment) so I'm adding it to the list on the first page.

Comment

Actually scrap that. I'd already added Palau.

Comment

But Tonga has also officially recorded a case now which means Antepli Ejderha is out.

Comment

​​​​​​Kiribati has succumbed

Comment

Kiribati still isn't showing up on worldometers but I think there have been enough cases there to call it. Including community transmission. So I'll update the first post accordingly.

Comment

Which means Sean of the Shed is out.

Comment

Boo!

Comment

A case reported in Niue, arriving from New Zealand. Seems nobody chose it though.

Comment

longeared you've had a good run but North Korea has now finally admitted that it has some Covid cases: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-61416760

Comment

I'm checking other countries still with competitors in the game.

lambers Nauru apparently recorded its first Covid cases on 2nd April 2022: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVI...demic_in_Nauru

Comment

delicatemoth according to Wikipedia, after several false positives which were later confirmed to be negatives a positive case of Covid was confirmed in Ascension Island on 8th February 2022.

​​​​​​https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVI...istan_da_Cunha

Comment

ursus arctos Tristan da Cunha still seems to be Covid free, also from here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVI...istan_da_Cunha

Comment

Working...
                                                    X