Pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pandemic

I don't see why Games should be left out.

Anyway, the basic board game is a lot of fun, slightly susceptible to quarterbacking but may well suit Bored with his co-op games class.

I love the android version on my Kindle Fire.

Never played Legacy.

I played that once. We lost.

Comment

Pandemic is a great game, I'm probably guilty of being the quarterback, but I try not to by reminding myself that I can play it on my own to do that sort of thing.

I haven't played Legacy, not sure I can justify I spending £50 on a large board game that (as I understand it) you can only play once, even if that 'once' would be spread over many sessions. I like games that I can replay and refine my tactics.

Comment

I mean, you play it a lot of times. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is a minimum of 12 games, assuming you win all of them. There aren't many boardgames I've played 12 time (physically, anyway)

Comment

Great game. Supremely well balanced.

The app is maybe the second best board game app I've seen (behind only Galaxy trucker).

Legacy is highly rated, but I haven't had a chance to play myself either.

Comment

I played the original when visiting friends a couple of years ago. I found it much more enjoyable than your average board game because the competitive element was absent so you don't have to worry about winning or losing in the conventional sense – that is, it's played in a collaborative spirit with all the players pulling towards the same goal. There's a moral in there somewhere.

Comment

"Quarterback"?

Comment

I've played pandemic about 10 times and never lost. I worry that I've missed a rule somewhere. But I keep rereading them.

Comment

Guy, try 'midfield general who stands and points'.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                    "Quarterback"?
                    To heavily influence the moves of the other players, to the extent that some players may accuse you of trying to take over.

Etienne, I can imagine doing that on the easy setting, perhaps medium if I have a bit of luck on card draws, but if you can keep winning on the difficult setting then you're some kind of Pandemic savant and should be working at WHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                      I mean, you play it a lot of times. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is a minimum of 12 games, assuming you win all of them. There aren't many boardgames I've played 12 time (physically, anyway)
                      You're tempting me, although I will have to persuade my partner that we can fit another large game box in our house.

Full disclosure, there's probably about eight board games at home that I've played over 12 times, maybe another half dozen card/dice games - plus many others that are owned by friends. I'm probably close to being a board games junkie.

Comment

lambers, yeah, it's been approx 3 games on easy, 3 games on medium, and 4 at difficult. Two of those difficult ones were very close.

Comment

See, I find the thing about being a board game junkie is that you're always playing the hot new thing, not your old games. So I think the only non-family games I've played more than a dozen times (except on PC/phone/iPad) are BSG, Terraforming Mars, Twilight Struggle, Pathfinder ACG, Splendour, and maybe Roll for the Galaxy.

Comment

I can relate to that for stuff I have bought since having a proper job, but the likes of Talisman, the Judge Dredd boardgame, Fury of Dracula etc. from mine and my mates' childhood got real hammer and get a bit of a runout today from time to time.

Comment

Junkie is probably hyperbole, but it's definitely a habit...

The latest game we got was Tokyo Highway at Christmas, I'm pretty sure I've played that more than a dozen times already. The rest on my list of other (owned) large games that would complain about being overworked are: Ticket To Ride (multiple versions); Splendor; Carcassonne (plus expansions); Pandemic; Hare and Tortoise; and Between Two Cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                lambers, yeah, it's been approx 3 games on easy, 3 games on medium, and 4 at difficult. Two of those difficult ones were very close.
                                Savant [winky thing].

I probably have a 40% success rate on difficult, I find that a couple of epidemics in quick succession in the wrong location is frequently too hard to come back from. I like to blame luck rather than incompetence, please don't burst my bubble...

Comment

I'll send my CV off to Public Health England today.

Comment

Working...
                                  X