Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online cycling and/or baseball manager type timewasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheesh, it had to be longer than mine...

Comment

Only because I can't be properly concise. My posts on this thread for example.

Comment

Originally posted by matt j View Post
        Have recently had a lively message back and forth with a 4th division flat race rival who has almost convinced me to let Crumley be a captain more often, and if not, to sell Crumley to him.
        That sounds great, the potential for actual emergent interaction really is there in this game. I was actually elated when I got a message from a manager saying I should pick his rider more often for IoM, it's one of my favourite moments playing.

Comment

I've had a lot of really helpful guidance from other managers. He said from the foot of Div. 6. Actually I don't think about league position any more, just about building the team.

Of course the big piece of advice I've consistently ignored is "don't train support riders, buy them".

Comment

Ditto, also too, of course. Though I am always hopeful that some of these riders I'm training max out in ways that make them alternate captains rather than just teammates. (e.g. a 90 SP/ 70 FR rider - Pontien's potential - would be very competitive in Div 4.)

Comment

Reminder day for WT delicatemoth .

Not much new to report on Fox River's front. Big race for Crumley today in the Sicilian tour (hoping for podium), tomorrow is the first of big races for Kavanagh.

Couldn't resist putting in a 60k offer for a VG SP, VG TQ rider. Expect it won't last as he's a 200+ SP, which has been more likely in 140k range lately*. Would give me way too many riders to train, but three more seasons to really to get it done.

*I'd put it lately a 190+ is somewhere in the 40k-70k, 200+ in the mid 100s, 210+ 200ish. Side stats and age obviously change that.

Comment

Thanks Matt. Having a lot of connection problems this week after breaking my phone but I managed to get the entry in. One new cap (Pile) for an interesting profile. If it had been a pure up/down Prochnow would probably have been captain, but high HL and SP scores meant I stuck with Carder.

Carder (cap); Prochnow, Dominguez, Louramore, Benjamin Pile, Paulus

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                  Thanks Matt. Having a lot of connection problems this week after breaking my phone but I managed to get the entry in. One new cap (Pile) for an interesting profile. If it had been a pure up/down Prochnow would probably have been captain, but high HL and SP scores meant I stuck with Carder.

Carder (cap); Prochnow, Dominguez, Louramore, Benjamin Pile, Paulus
                  Benjamin Pile!? Now I feel bad for releasing him!

Comment

In other news, I’ve successfully secured this rider who I will pick up for $50k on Day 30 of next season. Friedrich, Vaduz’s manager, has him in the Talent pool and will hire on Day 1. He reckons: “Btw, he will be the youngest he can be hired day 1, his she resets every year if he isn’t hired. i.e. If I hired him now he’d be 21 but hired day 1 he’s 20”. Clear?

Chris Hagenhofer
                    Team: Vaduz

Nation: Liechtenstein

Birthday: Day 65

Potential:
                    CL: Good
                    DH: Good
                    HL: Average
                    SP: Average
                    FR: Small
                    CB: None
                    TT: Average
                    TQ: None

The delay is perfect as I hope to have Vidigal and Niedziela mostly finished by then and can’t really spare $50k right now. Friedrich wants him in “good” hands for the Liechtenstein team so I hope DM doesn’t mind me helping the enemy, what with this guy and Hunzberger for Luxembourg...

Finally my foundation Captain Clayton Gaby is ready to retire, but I’m not ready for him to yet!

Comment

That is a solid, solid pick-up sits. I saw him on the threads and couldn't believe he was going for that cheap (200+ and that young!).

My offer got outbid pretty quickly for that rider I mentioned. two Division 1 moneybags in there, though I think 75k is still a steal for a potential captain. Will sleep on it (and see what results I get tomorrow in Streets of Cairo - anything less than 2nd is a major disappointment) before seeing if I can push them to break into their bank more. As mentioned, he's not really necessary for my team (and probably too many trainees already), but two very goods is tough to pass up.

Crumley and team a no-show in the Sicilian tour. Just not good enough there at all in the 3rd stage (in a race I hoped for 3rd or better).

It looks like a tough one in WT again, but I won't put it past Carder (who has been a beast for the national team):

I would assume with Carder as the captain, he'd swap rough position with Prochnow, but enough duplicate teams in the ranking to hope that IoM can put somebody in the top 9.
                      South Africa Sandile Banzi (Alpine)
                      Iran Soleyman Zarindoost (Team Oasis)
                      Romania Cornel Lascu (Woogadler)
                      Iceland V?geir ??rleifursson (Jubalon ProCycling)
                      Laos Kholadeth Ammouayphone (Velo Club Bored Man)
                      Namibia Berhold Ketjijere (Goege Team)
                      Isle of Man Dean Prochnow (Manisaspor)
                      Laos Soukaphone Ammouayphone (FretexHIBAS) Top form
                      South Africa Alastair O'Neal (Rabobank ProCycling)
                      Iran Govend Ardebili (Team Oasis)
                      Liechtenstein Mirko Diesmann (KRV Rapid Habsburg)
                      Colombia Ulises Gavaldon (Jubalon ProCycling)
                      Slovakia Gusto Drozd (Lokomot?va Zvolen)
                      Taiwan Mao Haodong (Team Chili)
                      Isle of Man Abner Carder (Man 2 Man)
                      Colombia Nataniel Viloca (Alpine)

Comment

I have about 300k, 60 points in D11 races and have to work out what to do from here. I think it might be easier to stagnate a while longer.

Comment

So here's my (unsolicited, sorry!) opinion on probably the approach that the Blomstrands need.
                          1) Race Shape is dreadful, sign up for a race every 5 days until the whole team is back to 80+ RS, however see the rest of this...
                          2) Make sure you pick up a sponsor every week, try and get the 'maximum of 3' concurrent sponsors, as that seems like the money sweet spot, main thing is just don't miss another sponsor for a while and get your funds up even higher
                          3) You won't be able to take any jobs with RS that low, so ruthlessly cut riders and replace with cheap riders from the hire list. Don't worry about training anybody or scouting anybody. You need jobbers and race ready bodies. Race and jobs, race and jobs.
                          4) Probably only Persson, Berg, and Vanleene are worth keeping at this point. The first for temporary Captaincy then trainer, the rest for future trainers. Maybe Raposo if he looks like he could be a 200+ rider, but at 24 you'd have to commit to training this season.
                          5) find a 200+ plus rider you like and plan to invest in making him the new captain.
                          or
                          6) find a support rider from the higher divisions you like and buy him from the transfer forum (have to get a wildcard if you don't have it yet), buying teammates is cheaper than training, and you could get very, very high in the rankings never spending a dime on training camps.

Unfortunately, winning races is irrelevant at the moment, you need to dust off the squad first.

It is also possible to just restart completely. I know teams have done this, I think the main thing is to start a new team and never touch the old one again for any reason.

Comment

Oh cool, welcome back caja-dglh. If you're unenthusiastic about your current lot might you be interested in starting a new Isle of Man team?

SIts, he looks great. And I am a huge fan of Luxembourg in all sport but especially cycling, as those who were present at the Zoom Thon when Tactical Genius challenged people to name a famous Luxembourger will remember ("Charly Gaul! Bob Jungels! Kevin Geniets!") so I am happy that you have Hunzberger. I think I may have one of Iran's star riders, Sagharchi has 14 caps for his country making him our most experienced international (Carder has 10, Neville 7, obviously all awarded by me).

Comment

Whoo!

Carder does the business again with the national team, a 3rd place. Prochnow being a reliable teammate in 19th. Means IoM have officially cracked the top 20 for the past 90 days. Will watch the forum updates as to how this might shake out for Cup of Nations qualification.

Next up is the sprint races! This 'should' be an Illingworth race, with Kavanagh, N Crumley, Sollee... Vest? Combs? Vencil? (Perkis if you can set a LO1?)

Comment

Donated again, so have some free scouts.

This guy isn't bad, 180+SP with GD TQ, 240+CB. I'd have hired him if he showed up 4 months ago.
                                Name: Hardy Renshaw
                                Nation: Isle of Man Isle of Man
                                Team: None

Birthday: Day 45

Team Spirit: N/A
                                Experience: Level 1

OCM Tour Rank: 4088 th
                                OCM Tour Points: 0

Isle of Man Tour Rank: 28 th

Top form ready

Average Skill: 30
                                Stats:
                                CL: None (25)
                                DH: None (25)
                                HL: None (26)
                                SP: None (42)
                                FR: None (33)
                                CB: None (28)
                                TT: None (28)
                                TQ: None (29)
                                Potential:
                                CL: Average
                                DH: None
                                HL: Small
                                SP: Average
                                FR: Small
                                CB: Average
                                TT: None
                                TQ: Good

Comment

This rider has amazing potential: http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/forum/transfer/430266

Currently no bids and on offer at 100k.

(I'm throwing money at an already maxed 200+ Sprinter with high TQ. We'll see if I get him.)

Division 4 Baltimore classic was a decent though somewhat boring result. 7th for Kavanagh, same as last season (and this year's team - I think - is much better).

Comment

Ha, I scouted Renshaw with what I thought was a free scout (from sponsor) but then 4k was deducted, so that's odd. I've passed on him too, I need better talents now. Maybe I should consider selling one of my three 200+ helpers so I can look at the transfer market.

Comment

Oh cool, welcome back caja-dglh. If you're unenthusiastic about your current lot might you be interested in starting a new Isle of Man team?
                                      If I had any idea how to I would.

Comment

Ha, I scouted Renshaw with what I thought was a free scout (from sponsor) but then 4k was deducted, so that's odd. I've passed on him too, I need better talents now. Maybe I should consider selling one of my three 200+ helpers so I can look at the transfer market.
                                        sometimes you need to refresh the sponsor page to make sure your cash/scouts show up.

My bid on the 200+ already maxed sprinter was gone pretty quickly after I posted. I may have another bid in on a different forum post, but it needs to be kept very quiet or I'll jinx it.

delicatemoth any thoughts on the WT sprint race?

Comment

caja-dglh and depending on whether you are fully 'in' again, and everyone else too, this thread is nice 3-spot of potential sprint talent

http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/forum/transfer/430457

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

If I had any idea how to I would.
                                            How to restart with a new team. Handle with care: http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/foru...string=Restart

Comment

Yeah - that is way too complicated. I am gonna try and extract some marginal value and flip the whole thing.

Comment

Uh, wow. 100k I didn't expect to spend, for another trainee, but this time it's a 210k sprinter with loads of side potential: I'm astonished I picked this one up.

http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/?pag...ile&id=1203551

Potential:
                                                CL: Good
                                                DH: Average
                                                HL: Small
                                                SP: Good
                                                FR: Good
                                                CB: Small
                                                TT: None
                                                TQ: Good

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                  Yeah - that is way too complicated. I am gonna try and extract some marginal value and flip the whole thing.
                                                  It's a project, but it can be done. There are loads of guys on the transfer and free hire list (already scouted) forum right now, you can go any direction.

Comment

Isle Of Man team is here - http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/?pag...am=Isle+of+Man

No new faces this week.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X