Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online cycling and/or baseball manager type timewasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tolers is sadly it for me. Don't think it's worth putting Millar in when there are better all around riders to put in there.

An IoM head-to-head tomorrow in the Div 5 Mal?l? - Pointe-Noire race in the Congo. While Hog Bay CT's Chingis Saihan looks the obvious winner, Veridian Dynamics' Jerome Vencill faces Fox River's Crumley (with Kavanagh turning super-domestique for this race) for a top ten place.

I have it basically an even race, Vencill just edging it over Crumley. Kavanagh just outside the top ten.

Comment

And just Treadwell for me, in an extreme CL-heavy situation only.

Comment

14th in the Hamilton ITT. Not good. Perkis has mechanical issues but still...

Koops came in 43rd and Tolers 44th

Comment

Hamilton ITT was a bust all around.

Good results in Mal?l? - Pointe-Noire, as far as I'm concerned. Crumley got his last top 10 of the season (I expect) with a 6th place finish, even while having an off day.

Vencill got a 3rd. Hog Bay CT won the race (Saihan), and didn't put a rider outside the top 30. Sheesh. Division 5 is a cakewalk for that team.

Comment

Well... the race IoM was eligible for is now full, and we've missed signing up for it. I didn't know this was possible, I thought there were 60 national teams split between the races on the basis of ladder position, but I guess not.

So that's the second missed sign-up already (the first was because I didn't realise there was a two-day cut off for entry). Given that I had to beg our way back in after missing five last season I'm not sure we'll be around next time. I'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again, but I'm moving towards the conclusion that - assuming IoM are still on the WT - someone more organised than me should take over for next season.

Comment

From my limited understanding, at the beginning of the new WT season, there are a lot of teams at the bottom of the list fighting to get in the Division C race. Hopefully not as many from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                Well... the race IoM was eligible for is now full, and we've missed signing up for it. I didn't know this was possible, I thought there were 60 national teams split between the races on the basis of ladder position, but I guess not.

So that's the second missed sign-up already (the first was because I didn't realise there was a two-day cut off for entry). Given that I had to beg our way back in after missing five last season I'm not sure we'll be around next time. I'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again, but I'm moving towards the conclusion that - assuming IoM are still on the WT - someone more organised than me should take over for next season.
                Obviously I kind of stopped playing, but how can they punish you for missing a sign-up when there aren't enough places to go round? That seems rather cynical.

Comment

The World Tour give the appearance of being cutthroat, but last season you could miss 2 races and still hang in there. Apparently up until last season, you could miss up to 5, and still stay NT manager. But the NT demand has gone up.

There are a lot of low ranked teams right now (only 3 races in), because there was a high turnover from the long waiting list (e.g. the formerly on the waiting list teams have no points, so Div C of the World Tour fills up fast).

What 'should' happen is that the early races should have shaken out the numbers so Div A and Div B got filled, but there were some high-ranked NTs that folded before this season, so since the rankings don't 'start at zero' after a season break, they are still clogging up the top. It's not ideal in any sense.. I personally think that the sign-ups should allow for some 'flex' to go into a higher ranked race that isn't full, but that isn't how it's set up. The Division B race is nowhere near full. It's very irritating admittedly.

Comment

This rider was posted on the Free Hire thread lately in case anyone’s interested:

Name: J?rn Thune
                    Team: Denmark Denmark

Birthday: Day 48

Experience: Level 4
                    Top form ready

Average Skill: 30
                    Potential:
                    CL: Average
                    DH: Good
                    HL: Small
                    SP: Average
                    FR: Small
                    CB: Small
                    TT: Very good
                    TQ: Small

Comment

Scouted this Manx youngster today. Hope nobody else already had and I missed it:

Ethaniel Utt (20)
                      DH: Small
                      HL: None
                      SP: Small
                      CB: Average
                      TT: Small
                      TQ: Good

Comment

I don't think he's been up yet, so thanks.

I expect to be releasing Hugh Millar in the next few weeks (INC TT, AV TQ). He's just falling too far down the training priority at the moment. I've taken him to 64 TT already, but need to keep focus on SP.FR teammates.

Comment

Ah balls, I just wasted 4k when I should have looked here! I might fancy Millar though.

Comment

Millar's: Release value: 43.838.

IoM private deal? take a chance and wait for the hire list?

Comment

I misjudged Rebild Bakker, I thought with 6 HL it was made for my man Vencill but he came in 33rd and the winner, well he has a bit of climbing and downhill but I I just don't understand.

Comment

There were at least four good Hill Helpers supporting him (assuming that’s the role Schippers, Baars, Hulshof and Willemson were given).

That’s quite interesting to learn, tactically.

Comment

Rebild Bakker, oof. Horrible performances from Fox River. Didn't help that my best hiller was still injured.

And that winner looks 100% like a true breakaway to me. No way was he set as captain over Schippers.

Comment

I really need to learn about breakaways. Especially after matt j said my boy Remco Hooiveld should be one. I just don't get the mechanics of it.

Will do some Forum reading over the break.

Comment

Scouted by someone else on teh free hire list:

Name: Durwin Lafountain
                                      Team: Isle of Man Isle of Man

Potential:
                                      DH: None
                                      SP: Good

Close, but not quite (170+ sprinter, 230+ Cobbler).

----

As far as the breakaway riders go, fundamentally it appears that it is just luck. But (I think) having a rider with some bit of skill in the race may help a bit (to make sure you beat the other breakaway riders). The hilly races are apparently the typical breakaway 'choice', hinted at in the manual and forum. Having a half decent Hill rider or two rotating between breakaway and teammate seems (I think again) to be a good method of keeping up TS while also occasionally getting a surprise result or two.

Not that I know, since I've never gotten any results from Breakaways. It's what I eventually hope for both Mannes and Chandler in my squad.

looking back at Hooiveld , an AV 48 teammate and 200+ Hilly sprinter. Can't build a team on that, but definitely handy.
                                      Last edited by matt j; 22-12-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Name: Durwin Lafountain
                                        Team: Isle of Man Isle of Man

Birthday: Day 25

Team Spirit: N/A
                                        Experience: Level 3

OCM Tour Rank: 4489 th
                                        OCM Tour Points: 0

Isle of Man Tour Rank: 21 st

Top form ready

Potential:
                                        DH: None
                                        SP: Good

Above from the Free Hire list below was 4k of my own money I've wasted
                                        Name: Ferguson Runciman
                                        Team: Isle of Man

Birthday: Day 74

Team Spirit: N/A
                                        Experience: Level 3
                                        Potential: CL: Small
                                        DH: Small
                                        HL: Good
                                        SP: Small
                                        FR: Average
                                        CB: None
                                        TQ: None
                                        I quite like Runciman apart from the None TQ

Comment

Yup, another near miss.

Comment

I've had a few meaningful results from breakaways, even winning a race once. Usually the best bet for them is in the hilly rather than mountainous races. It does feel like a complete lottery though, you do sometimes look at the results of a breakaway win and think "how on earth did that rider manage to beat such and such?"

Comment

I was shocked at my one breakaway win, didn't expect anything at all but a jobber came through to take it.

Changed my mind re Millar, sorry matt j.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                Changed my mind re Millar, sorry matt j.
                                                No worries, I changed my mind too on him. Thankfully I didn't go to far in training.

Comment

And speaking of hill races, the next WT races are open:

http://www.cyclingsimulator.com/?pag...Llanelli%20(WT)

So a Eddie Snowden/Merlin Tilson race, with Farnum, Carder, and Vencill along too? Crispin Prochnow or Harold Paulus as the sixth? Not really our preferred race for IoM. Anybody on top form worth a shout as a breakaway rider?

The week after though is a Miles Illingsworth race for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts on Breakaways peeps. Seems a good role for Hooiveld and perhaps Hansson in my squad, plus young Moga once trained up. If they’re alternating between HH and Breakaway that’s fine. Hooiveld has a win in D7 as Captain so may manage a few of those.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X