Let's all go to the White House?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's all go to the White House?

Right, so we know Rapinoe won't go. Hopefully she won't be the only one to decline (Ellis?). But will the sexual abuser duck inviting the team, given the snub he knows would be coming. Could he get away with that?

I'm sure he would paint it as being persecuted in some way. And his support base would turn all their hate on the players who didn't go. Rapinhoe would be out of the game like Kaepernick in gridiron.

Comment

Isn't megan Rapinoe more "Popular Tom Brady" within her sport rather than "Colin Kaepernick" figure.

Comment

The president is not very popular among supporters of women's football here.

Whereas Brady is a Trumper, which makes Berba's suggestion perplexing.

Comment

Kaepernick offended the racist Christian MAGA brigade for daring to suggest black lives matter. I'd have thought that constituency would go after Rapinhoe regardless of her current popularity.

Comment

They already have (though nowhere near as much as Kaepernick).

An Important difference is that those people don't own women's soccer clubs or go to games.

Comment

See, e.g.

[URL="https://twitter.com/skenigsberg/status/1147922695188881409?s=21"]https://twitter.com/skenigsberg/status/1147922695188881409[/URL]

Comment

Trump's already invited them I think, win or lose.

Ali Krieger and Alex Morgan have both said they wouldn't go to the White House as well, so I'd imagine no one will.

Comment

Rapinoe was asked after the match and said "few, if any", while acknowledging that she hadn't discussed it with every member of the squad.

Tickertape parade here on Wednesday

Comment

I do hope she accepts AOC’s invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Kaepernick offended the racist Christian MAGA brigade for daring to suggest black lives matter. I'd have thought that constituency would go after Rapinhoe regardless of her current popularity.
                      Rapinoe was the first non-American Footballer to kneel for the anthem in support of Kaepernick, wasn't she? She certainly knelt, I think I have the timeline right as well. The MAGA crowd have clocked where she stands a long time ago. It doesn't seem to have held her career back noticeably so far.

Comment

Bwahahaha
                        The best bit is the way it continues for ~10 seconds. Someone is screaming at the anchor to get the f*ck back to his desk so they can cut to the studio...

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          Whereas Brady is a Trumper, which makes Berba's suggestion perplexing.
                          I was thinking old, well established serial winner rather than marginal up and comer with potential. I remember listening to someone talking about how things would have worked out considerably differently for Kaepernick if the 49ers had narrowly beaten rather than narrowly lost to the Ravens.

Comment

Yes on Rapinoe and kneeling.

The Brady comparison just doesn't work for all kinds of reasons, but one significant one is that this is the first tournament in which Rapinoe has been the recognized leader of the team. Then there's the fact that women's football has a small fraction of the broader cultural influence of the NFL.

I don't think that having won a Super Bowl would have saved Kap, either.

The NFL ownership, on the one hand, and the core NFL fan base, on the other, represent the two key elements that brought him to power. Sociopathic zillionaires and reactionaries. Kap was too perfect a target, especially after he was repeatedly identified as one by the likes of Fox (a major NFL broadcaster).

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                              Trump's already invited them I think, win or lose.

Ali Krieger and Alex Morgan have both said they wouldn't go to the White House as well, so I'd imagine no one will.
                              I hope she does. And spits in the asshole's face.

Comment

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1147969200201326593

Comment

This is a weird comparison attempt. The NFL are reactionary arseholes, and the people who watch the NFL are largely reactionary arseholes.

The people who watch womens soccer in the US are mostly the coastal-ish liberal middle class. They're people who might vote for a socially tolerant low-tax Republican, but they're already massively offended by MAGA-ism.

Rapinoe's constituency are almost certainly delighted by performative resistance and Fox news anger. It will make them feel like they're fighting Trumpism without actually having to do anything themselves.

Comment

I guess this stand off is really indicative of the polarized nature of the US in the year 2019.

Trump supporters and USWNT fans are two distinct camps, demographically, socio-economically, geographically very different.

Comment

Yes, but not especially in terms of attitude. Rapinoe's response to criticisms of the USA's "in your face" behaviour, is pretty Trumpian. As was Lindsay Horan's loud chanted interuption of "USA! USA" while Canadian Steph Houghton was being interviewed on radio after their match. It's asshole behavior as is Trump's and his ilk. They may be on the other side politically but in terms of respect some of them are just as boorish.
                                      Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 07-07-2019, 22:11.

Comment

"Canadian Steph Houghton"

I missed the news the news of this switch of allegiance. I know the English can be harsh on those who miss key penalties for the national side (appointing them manager and other such tortures), but fleeing the country seems a bit of an overreaction...

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                          "Canadian Steph Houghton"

I missed the news the news of this switch of allegiance. I know the English can be harsh on those who miss key penalties for the national side (appointing them manager and other such tortures), but fleeing the country seems a bit of an overreaction...
                                          Doh! I mis-edited (it was right before... honest,)

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            Yes, but not especially in terms of attitude. Rapinoe's response to criticisms of the USA's "in your face" behaviour, is pretty Trumpian. As was Lindsay Horan's loud chanted interuption of "USA! USA" while Canadian Steph Houghton was being interviewed on radio after their match. It's asshole behavior as is Trump's and his ilk. They may be on the other side politically but in terms of respect some of them are just as boorish.
                                            That sort of thing predates Trump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8grGedzAw

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That sort of thing predates Trump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8grGedzAw
                                              You're right it does. But he's mainstreamed those attitudes and, validated them for a large number people.

Comment

True.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                  We've reached a point where everything the USWNT do is framed as arrogant.

Sticking 13 past Thailand was arrogant. Not a team looking ahead to a group game against the side that had knocked them out of the Olympics and realising that if Sweden outscored them against Thailand and Chile they could win the group by holding US to a draw (which seems to me to be the opposite of arrogance idk). The President dredging up a several week old candid interview in the middle of a tournament to embarrass one of their players and get them harassed online by fascists was apparently arrogant. Celebrating goals is arrogant. Celebrating important goals (against France, England) was arrogant, and celebrating unimportant goals (against Thailand) equally so.

If the US are arrogant, it doesn't extend to their football, which if anything gave their knockout opponents too much respect and let them back into games that the US were superior in.

Rapinoe has a big mouth, sure, but she's a mercurial genius and a lightning rod for criticism. She talks big, but she has to and she backs it up big time. We should celebrate that in the way that Eric Cantona is celebrated.

For all the talk about US arrogance, they weren't the team whose coach lectured the entire world about "how the game should be played"; or who declared one of his players "the best in the world" before a match where she was handed her arse by the second choice US player in that position. Even though it would have been true, I don/t think Jill Ellis ever said that losing a semi-final would be a failure (or decried the third place playoff as a "nonsense" game). Or appointing himself coach of a different team mid-tournament. The difference between the US and England, though, is the US backed up their pre-game words on the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X