QF3: Oranje v Azzurri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QF3: Oranje v Azzurri

I'm in the press centre and the Aussie commentator next to me is desperately trying to get the Italian journalists to confirm his narrative that the country is only now starting to take women's football seriously, but they keep undermining his assumptions with inconvenient facts.

Fifa testing their cameras - Dutch family of four appears on the big screen. Daughter immediately takes phone footage of herself on the big screen, taking footage of herself on the big screen...

Comment

Martens starts, despite injury scare this week. The Dutch apparently asked Fifa to change the kick-off time because of the heat (32 degrees Celsius right now, an hour before kick-off). Fifa, you'll be amazed to hear, declined. Which is good for me as I'm driving straight back to Frankfurt tonight after the game.

I'm sitting next to a hack from the Falkland Islands who works for Penguin News (I'm not making this up). He put a spread-bet fiver on Luton, Lincoln and Leyton Orient to win their respective divisions last season (he went for the three Ls) and won 10.5k. That'll buy him a lot of tinned corned beef ("comes from bloody Argentina").

Comment

Fray Bentos is in Uruguay.

Comment

Comment

He didn't say it was Fray Bentos - he offered me half a corned beef sarnie and said it was from his former occupiers. But frankly, I'm giving zero bollocks either way. (I declined - I hate corned beef.)

Comment

Far fewer Dutch fans here today than were here for the group game against Cameroon two Saturdays ago. Perhaps spontaneous planning is not a Dutch thing.

Edit: I may have to revise that. I go for a piss and by the time I come back there seem to be twice as many fans in the stadium. In town this morning it just didn't seem anything like as full as a fortnight ago. You could probably fit all the Italian fans into a medium-sized pizzeria.
              Last edited by imp; 29-06-2019, 12:51.

Comment

Definitely. Also, in these temperatures, we melt.

Comment

Who's the Aussie commentator, imp? I'm currently watching SBS's coverage with the egg-headed David Basheer as commentator.

Comment

Big chance for Bergamasci there. Who is playing right-back today, nominally. She was the furthest player forward in open play. Obviously. She covers some ground, that girl.

Comment

And again. Brilliantly created, but then a complete scuff when she tried to shoot with her left (i.e. 'wrong') foot. Bergamasci pushes Bronze hard as the best right-back of the tournament.

And we also have an Italian singing section. Good.

Comment

Cooling break gives the French TV director the perfect chance for a montage.

Comment

Bergamaschi isn't (she's from Varese), but here national and club teammate Giacinti is in fact from near Bergamo.

Given that they are 22 and 25, respectively, they should have quite the future ahead of them as a partnership.

Comment

Basheer could pick up some extra cash as an Infantino impersonator

Comment

Or as a body double for Luca Zingaretti.

Comment

National stereotype ahoy - the Italian back-four are rather well organised. A very well-oiled unit.

Comment

Montalbano with an Aussie accent would fry circuits all over the peninsula

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                    National stereotype ahoy - the Italian back-four are rather well organised. A very well-oiled unit.
                                    Particularly impressive given that they each play for different clubs.

Comment

Crickey, that free-kick was close. The Dutch are so dominant now but need to score here otherwise they may regret it.

Comment

Italy seem to be losing it with the ref (and now the oppo). Guagni had a point and didn't back there. She did give Beerensteyn a little nudge, but the Dutch player only went to ground due to a complete dive.

Comment

That will help

Comment

And a goal from the niggly free kick that preceded the pushing. The ref has got a job on to stop this simmering over.

Comment

The keeper will be a little disappointed with her attempt on the goal. She got a full palm on the ball, but didn't really divert it at all. It's not as if the header was particularly powerful, either.

Comment

Looking forward to an England - Netherlands final. The atmosphere with both those bands there will be AMAZING!!!

Comment

That is surely that. Proper defenders header. Really thumped home.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X