QF1: Norway v England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QF1: Norway v England

There are injury doubts around England's defence with Houghton a major doubt after the Cameroon game, and Bright recovering from a virus. Abbie McManus and Leah Williamson would replace them. McManus played in the win over Brazil, and Williamson in the win over Japan, when England won the SheBelieves Cup earlier this year. So while the names may be less familiar to some, they would be good, experienced replacements.

Which will be needed against one of the competition's outstanding players in Caroline Graham Hansen. Norway have been a strong side so far, with her at the heart of the attacks, in a free role behind Herlovsen. Norway's triangle of CGH, Engen and Risa are also going to be stern competition for Scott, Kirby and Walsh. So perhaps the difference in the sides will come down the flanks, and there I would have to favour England.

Could be tight, this. Let's hope it gets a huge audience, too.

I have a fixture clash with live football in the Europa League extra ultra preliminary round tonight, which is a shame, because I would have liked to have seen this match.

I feel able to support England Women much more easily than the men's team. <<KLAXON>>

Comment

BBC football site seems unaware of the Europa league games taking place tonight.

Comment

Hoping I get to watch this but the odds aren't good. On holiday tomorrow, so much to do and I feel I've already used up my weekly football allowance on the US-Spain and Netherlands-Japan games. Expecting Toni Duggan to be match-fit and back to something like her usual standard after two games of rustiness. Think we're going to need her to perform tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
          BBC football site seems unaware of the Europa league games taking place tonight.
          Yeah, I'd noticed that while checking the fixtures on their site. I almost tweeted them about it but really, who can be bothered? They're on Groundhopper.

Comment

Beaten to the punch starting the thread - I was going to add the subtitle 'Northern Europeans wilting in the heat?'

Actually, the weather at the Stade Oceane is not going to be that bad because Le Harve is by the, um, oceane. The peak temp today is 'only' forecast to be 27°C with it having dropped to 24 by kick-off. Better than tomorrow's game in Paris, which is meant to be 29°C or Saturday's early afternoon kick-off in Valenciennes at a ridiculous 32°C and rising, (that could be Dutch-defying).
            However, despite not being as bad as what is coming in the next couple of days, mid-20s is still very warm for physical activity for those unused to dealing with it*.The game will likely be a fitness challenge as much as anything. It's also likely to be slower and more technical, and I think that favours England marginally. They play a more pass-based game than the Norwegians, who use more direct running from Graham Hansen and Reiten. Google has the win percentage predictions at 46% for England, 25% for Norway and a draw (which presumably means penalties) at 29%. That feels about right.

Steph Houghton being fit for the game feels important, though. Apparently she trained yesterday, whilst Millie Bright didn't. Houghton-Bright as a centre-back pairing feels just about good enough, Houghton-McManus would be a tad scary, and untried pairings such as Bright-McManus and McManus-Williamson and I look at those predications and think Norway are underrated. As far as I know there are no doubts about Norway's experienced Centre-Back due, Mjelde and Thorisdottir. A pair who are very, very experienced at working together because they do so at club Football as well as International, playing as they do at... Chelsea! D'Oh.

* - recently dealing with it, as the WSL last played a summer season in 2016. That is long enough ago that the fitness of the players has developed considerably with the rapid professionalisation of the game in England since so probably isn't applicable.

Comment

Nice to see the Sheffield FC flag just then, given that they were one of the clubs diddled over by the FA's desire to have bigger names in the top divisions.

Comment

Good luck to the Lionesses!

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                It would be really useful if there were a site that included all senior fixtures: Sky's app seems completely unaware of the CONCACAF Gold Cup, for example...

Comment

Nice feint/dummy/complete miskick...

Comment

That'll do for starters. Jill Scott tucks one away after a flowing move (and an air-shot).

Comment

On Spanish TV the commentator is female and doing a very good job at the moment,

Comment

You are lucky, I am stuck with Jonathan Pearce. Why the dickens did the BBC dig him up?

Comment

Norway seem to be suffering from Anglophilia, not uncommon for Scandis in world cups

Comment

Norway have some kind of glaring problem in the area around their left post. England look annoyingly good, but capable of making a howler.

Comment

Sensible non-penalty decision for once after accidental handball.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand how that's not a penalty under the idiotic modern handball laws.

Comment

See post above

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    I'm struggling to understand how that's not a penalty under the idiotic modern handball laws.
                                    An intelligent referee?

Comment

It's still baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                        You are lucky, I am stuck with Jonathan Pearce. Why the dickens did the BBC dig him up?
                                        Radio 5 commentary on red button. I switched over as soon as Pearce starting believing he was on TMS and commenting on pigeons.

Comment

Norway look pretty dangerous but fall apart in the England penalty area, usually by playing the wrong pass. England should be at least 2-0 up, but haven't been too impressed really. Seem to be overplaying (like their male counterparts) and putting themselves under unnecessary pressure.

Comment

Played off own foot = hardly accidental

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              It's still baffling.
                                              Especially the absence of any signal/on screen evidence they even looked at it

Comment

Then it begs the question of why FIFA don't appoint sensible referees more often

Comment

Thought that was offside, it was so easy. Terrible defending. Parris is a real handful.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X