Things that are a bit rubbish about this world cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    And for the Lindahl one I remember reading immediately "that is strange - she didn't do much other than the penalty save" (the guardian MBM IIRC)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Indeed. It's intersectional concern-trolling, combining ignorance about soccer and condescension toward women.
      hahaha. Beautifully put.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
        The player of the match awards (or at least the ones voted for by fans on twitter. Which I assume are the official ones). They have nearly all been for a player who has scored a goal for the winning team. There seems very little appreciation for any other contribution to the game. For example in the Holland v Japan game last night it went to Lieke Martens, who IMO had a poor game apart from her first goal and the fact she was the nominated penalty taker.
        Completely. Megan Rapinoe got MVP against Spain despite half a dozen US players alone having a better game than her, Abby Dahlkemper was brilliant in the back four in terms of both distribution and defence and was easily the best player on the field, with no real expertise required to make that judgment. I like to imagine that the players laugh about it.

Comment

The US President deciding to go after Rapinoe on his Twitter feed.

Though it did induce this fine response from Ali Krieger

[URL="https://twitter.com/alikrieger/status/1143941893086162945?s=21"]https://twitter.com/alikrieger/status/1143941893086162945[/URL]

If this becomes a thing, it has the potential to make him even more unpopular among many relatively well off suburban women who voted for him in 2016, but consider the USWNT to be genuine heroes.

Comment

Thank god you lads aren't privy to the selection of the motm in Ireland internationals.

Comment

Ponytails- I am simply objecting to sameness and will happily compile an XI of short-back-and-sidesers who have bucked the trend. Ms Felicity also points out that in the era of Argentine and other male longhairs players, while there were occasional ties and hairbands there were almost no ponytails (Redondo..?)

Comment

That the Japanese team has departed, from the teams I've seen they were by a distance the most fluent in their movement, the technically most accomplished and the most entertaining.

Comment

If only they were so damn goalshy, eh? 3 scored from 40+ shots in the tournament. But then, if that wasn't the case they would still be here.

Comment

Going back to haircuts, I believe this particular style is known as the Ribery. It is not often requested...

Comment

Related to all the VAR and silly handball law complaints, it feels to me that the ratio of proper goals to goals from penalties seems inordinately high (certainly if you take out the blow-out wins against Thailand). I think that's rubbish. It may be increasing the goal count, which FIFA likes, but it seems to not really be real football. I just don't like it when too many games are decided by free-kicks and penalties rather than from proper goals from open play. And this tournament feels like it's fallen particularly heavily on the penalties.

(Expect someone to produce some stats to show that I'm wrong, but it's definitely how it feels)

Comment

There have been 126 goals scored of which 17 have been penalties, which does seem like a high percentage.

Comment

Dion Dublin as the token man in the BBC studio. He's not needed at all.

And why do we have to repeatedly watch David Beckham high fiving people in the crowd. I mean, it's good that he's there, but come on, we don't need to see that more than once. He's not the story!

Comment

Sadly, for many of those organising the competition he is. His presence, along with his daughter, validates it as a major event.

Comment

To be fair to the man himself, he has been a casual but definite supporter of the Women's game for a while (also true of John Terry). He should be able to attend a match along with his daughter, if that is what they want to do. Yes, he will be aware that it will be used and marketed and that he will be the 'face' of the England supporters in the stadium, but he is the face of everything he does. Possibly excluding using a mobile whilst driving and therefore losing his licence.

Comment

Yeah, and he's mates with the manager. I'd be a bit disappointed if he wasn't there tbh.

Comment

Does Jonathan Pearce have blackmail material on senior BBC Sport staff? Or is his style viewed as more entertaining to non-football fans watching as "event tv"?

Comment

I'm a latecomer. (Group games a bit 'meh'.)

American TV coverage. Not because it's bad. But (Alexi aside) it's a little biaised? Understandably.

Comment

And of course, Germany being really quite good.

Comment

Working...
                                      X