No announcement yet.

Group F: SWE-USA-CHI-THA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck Dangda. Imagine coming on as a sub when you're 0-7 down. What on earth can you do?

Comment

You can do that, of course. A lunging tackle that earns you a yellow card.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        Good luck Dangda. Imagine coming on as a sub when you're 0-7 down. What on earth can you do?
        A couple of years ago I went to the semi final of the Liverpool Women's Cup. Burscough Dynamo were eleven or twelve goals down with around five minutes left. At this point I did wonder what was the point of the seemingly fairly lengthy instructions the manager was giving to a sub about to come on.

Comment

Bit of a different situation when a team's bench players brought on when way ahead during a rout are...Carli Lloyd and Christen Press.

Comment

Shot on goal from Dangda!

Comment

Oof. Nine. Three more to outdo Germany's evisceration of Argentina in 2007.

Comment

What proportion of the tournament goals so far have been scored by the US?

Comment

Record tied. With 5+ minutes to go, it's almost certain to be broken.

Comment

And there it is.

Comment

My stepmother is Thai so I have decidedly mixed feelings about this (I like my stepmother).

Comment

Jonathan Pearce finally realises that this is a new record win at the World Cup.

Comment

Just looked back at the 2007 group and Argentina followed up the 11-0 loss with a match against Japan where they almost held out for the draw, losing 1-0 to an injury time goal.

Comment

'bout fucking time we taught Thailand a lesson.

Comment

The one Southeast Asian country we hadn't already obliterated.

Go us

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                What proportion of the tournament goals so far have been scored by the US?
                                13/38 = 34%

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The one Southeast Asian country we hadn't already obliterated.

Go us
                                  Those celebrations didn't even ease off, did they?

Comment

I deliberately didn't watch this match, figuring it would be totally one-sided. Tell me, are the US just running up the score for the hell of it, or have they have eased up a bit to show a bit of compassion/respect?

Comment

The US could have gone into the Four Corners offense, I guess, but Thailand were really hopeless while also knackered, so if the US played a decent one-two, there was a chance on offer.

Comment

They did not ease up a bit.

Comment

I don't know if it's more cruel to be on the end of having 13 goals put past you, or to see your opponents stop playing and basically taking pity on you. I feel like neither is a great option, and since there's no mercy rule and the competition isn't completely evenly matched, something like this is always possible.

I'm not a huge fan of players being told how they should celebrate scoring a goal, though. It's the World Cup. I feel like someone should be able to celebrate however they want after scoring a World Cup goal no matter when it comes. I don't see a lot of hand-wringing over male players celebrating in blowouts either. Don't recall Germany being told they weren't doing it the right way when they hammered Brazil. At a certain point, I'm in complete agreement with the "if you don't like it, then don't let it happen" school of thought.

Comment

Comment

I think it’s different when both teams are highly paid professionals. I doubt Thailand are that.

I guess the US sees it as a practice and team-building exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                I'm not a huge fan of players being told how they should celebrate scoring a goal, though. It's the World Cup. I feel like someone should be able to celebrate however they want after scoring a World Cup goal no matter when it comes.
                                                I agree, but I also think it says something about an individual who celebrates wildly after scoring on a vastly inferior opponent.

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                                Don't recall Germany being told they weren't doing it the right way when they hammered Brazil. At a certain point, I'm in complete agreement with the "if you don't like it, then don't let it happen" school of thought.
                                                Not a similar comparison though. Brazil and Germany are equally skilled and experienced. A 1–-7 blowout for either side was, and would always be, a surprise, not just to spectators but also the players themselves. USA v Thailand OTOH are not remotely comparable in that sense.

Comment

USA outperformed their xG by 5

[URL]https://twitter.com/Caley_graphics/status/1138554083281899532[/URL]

Comment

So are teams like the USA, Germany, and France to blame for uneven results when they play teams like Thailand? It seems insulting to think along the lines of "this is the World Cup, and everyone has earned their places here, but this team really isn't up to snuff, so take it easy on them." It's obvious that the disparity between the teams are vast, but that's not something that the giants can control. Thailand's women's team is 34th in the world. That they're in the top 50 but so far off the level from a team like the US is something that's on FIFA, the federations, and the individual FAs.

This is a good thread:

[URL]https://twitter.com/lgbtqfc/status/1138558424118112256[/URL]
                                                    Last edited by Incandenza; 11-06-2019, 22:09.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X