Group F: SWE-USA-CHI-THA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janik View Post
    I'm sure the US team have all participated in many blow outs through their careers, both senior and junior. Mostly, but maybe not entirely, on the winning sides.

As for celebrating more against the Thais than in an Olympic qualifier (vs Puerto Rico not T&T), it's almost like scoring a goal at the World Cup Finals is more personally significant, isn't it?
    The US has never thrashed somebody like that in the World Cup or Olympics, as far as I know. In qualifiers, perhaps, but not in a recent group stage or knockout, I don’t think.

The occasion seems to matter.

They’ll probably lose to Sweden, so everyone can mock their arrogance soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      Germany is richer than Brazil. By your logic, they should have let them win. But, of course, nobody would say that about a men’s game.

How dare you accuse me of pinkwashing - which doesn’t mean what you seem to think it means - when you have such a condescending attitude toward the Thai players. They’re grown women and excellent athletes by any normal standard. They don’t need you to protect their honor.

The US players are not, probably, the kind of people I’d want to hang out with. Wound too tight. Too competitive. Too confident. But that’s probably true of the Thai team too. They just aren’t quite as good at soccer. No shame in that.

And, has been explained, this isn’t fucking t-ball. There is no mercy rule and goal differential matters, so each goal was actually something to celebrate. And, btw, nobody told Thailand to just give up.

Besides. It’s just mostly non-contact game. It’s not boxing or American football. Nobody was in danger because the score was so lopsided.
      "Pinkwashing" here is dismissing criticism of the blatant display of poor sportsmanship by the USWNT as misogyny.

The USWNT draws from a huge talent pool of literally millions of players, with a very large tranche of well-funded higher echelon of players receiving six figure scholarships. Thailand draws from a pool of a few thousand amateurs, in a country where the median salary is $450/mo.

Beyond that, there is a definite national cultural trait on display here, something that you're alluding here ("too competitive, too confident, wound too tight"). Yeah "this isn't fucking t-ball", it's the world cup, and the leading team of this competition have been remarkably poor ambassadors of the game. Up 10-0 at the 84th minute they not only keep going for the jugular, but go on celebrating as if they've just scored the winning goal in the final.

Comment

Looks like it might be another difficult afternoon for Thailand.

Comment

Only three at half-time. But that is on pace with the US worm (a bit of Cricket jargon, for any Americans wondering), however. 20 shots in the half from Sweden tells a story. The Cricket score could still be in the offing.

Comment

3-0 down at half time.

As indeed they were on Tuesday...

Comment

So Sweden matching the USA so far. 3-0 at Half Time. Hopefully the Thais won't capitulate in the second half, as they did against the US.

Comment

Great minds think alike, eh?

Comment

Every time the commentator mentions "Fischer", I immediately have to say "German Bight".

Comment

On another matter entirely, but why do arriving male journalists have this thing about plonking their bags down heavily on a desk in the media room as though they need to announce, "It's okay everyone, I'm here, I made it!" And then, when they get again up to go to the press box, it's like they're warming up for the big event - they start packing everything away again with such verve and intensity, it's like they're waiting for someone to say, "So, you'll be off to the stand now - good luck! You can do this, big guy!" And then, finally, they're off, hauling their bags off the desk again with a disturbing flourish.

After the game, they do it all over again in reverse.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. Paris in the spring is lovely. Though I'd forgotten how badly American men especially dress at weekends, on holidays, and at soccer matches - in this case, a combination of all three has lead to the ultimate sartorial Vietnam. Jesus, this is Paris, make at least a token fucking effort!

Comment

Oh, and I'm hoping that the US women celebrate the fuck out of every goal they may happen to score. Or, if they don't, that they stand and formally shake hands with each other in the manner of Victorian gentlemen.

Comment

Well, well - are Thailand going to survive a half unbreached?

Err, no they aren't. Much improved, however...

Comment

Get in.

Comment

Good lord. Nice finish.

Comment

Worst penalty decision in the history of the game. And she gets a yellow too. Jesus Lord fucking Christ, pelt me with stones for ever having advocated VAR.

Comment

Harsh, but those are being given now, VAR-confirmed or otherwise.

Comment

That VAR/new handball rule combo is just the worst.

Comment

I don't think the late penalty can take anything away from the delight of that Thailand goal. Sung-Ngoen has been great all game as a lone striker willing to run for anything and everything and she really deserved something.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                      That VAR/new handball rule combo is just the worst.
                                      Indeed. The player was jumping for the ball perfectly naturally, wasn't looking at the ball, and then it brushed her arm at point-blank range.

Oh joy for all us refs at the amateur level next season with gobby fuckers loudly appealing every single incident like that and yelling, "You've got to give it, it's the new rule!"

Comment

Chile have a goal disallowed - rightly, IMO - but was it any 'more' an offside than that given the other day in the Aus/Brazil match?

Predictably, the US then score almost straight away to lead 2-0.

Comment

And when reviewing the incident on screen, the on-pitch ref gets no context, no real-time replay of the build-up, just a slow-mo of the split second when the ball hits the player. It's ludicrous.

Edit: In response to the conversation about the Sweden pen.
                                          ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                            Chile have a goal disallowed - rightly, IMO - but was it any 'more' an offside than that given the other day in the Aus/Brazil match?
                                            Agreed that it seems completely inconsistent. I think both goals should have been disallowed.

Comment

Agree.

Lloyd grabs her second and USA's third. Another landslide is a distinct possibility.

Comment

A domestic scene at Furtho Towers.

Comment

Chilean keeper has made some amazing saves.

Comment

Yep, definite Player of the Match - prevented an embarrassing afternoon for her team.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X