Group E: NED-CAN-NZL-CAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group E: NED-CAN-NZL-CAM

This group looks, on paper, very easy to call. Canada have been one of the top sides for a good while, and the Dutch are the European champions. New Zealand are not ranked in the top 16 - perhaps not helped by the fact they have to qualify against New Caledonia and Fiji - and Cameroon are ranked as one of the weakest sides in the tournament.

But then New Zealand beat England on Saturday, so anything goes really.

Though no one's saying it old loud, this is probably the strongest CWNT in some time. The ageless Christine Sinclair leads the attack and is now just four goals away from passing Abby Wambauch as record goalscorer in International football, men's or women's. Defence, led by Kadeisha Buchanan and Allysha Chapman has been strong for some time and Jordyn Huitema, though still only eighteen, brings skill and vision to what's traditionally been a relatively weak midfield. I wouldn't say I'm optimistic, that'd be far too un-Canadian, but I am hopeful.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 05-06-2019, 16:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
      Though no one's saying it old loud, this is probably the strongest CWNT in some time.
      You certainly wouldn't want to ask Ray de Galles to read that out loud.

Comment

Heh! Yeah it's local shorthand, CWNT and CMNT. They get, more or less, equal attention so you have to easily identify who you're talking about

Comment

I guess here is a good a place as any to state that Holland are my predictions for the title.

I see that Van de Sanden has had her hair dyed in a panther pattern especially for the tournament. Just to make her a bit more scary to defenders.

Comment

OK here we go. From Canada's PoV easiest match in the tournament, but that's only on paper.

Comment

Canada working the space well, just need to find a killer pass in the final third.

Comment

So far as advertised. Canada dominating possession. Most of the play in Cameroon half but we lack a final bal.l

Comment

1-0 just before HT. String of corners finally produce something. Buchanan is a handful from set-pieces.

Comment

Oh it's the North Korean referee, who played in one of the previous World Cups. I presume that she is the only person to have played in and refereed a World Cup match.

Comment

This has become a repetitive (if not predictable) contest. With Cameroon parking the bus and hoping for breaks, and Canada trying to string enough passes together to work an opening. Another goal for Canada will kill it as a contest.

Comment

Canada's passing has been a bit loose this half. Cameroon looking the better side for the last ten minutes or so.

Comment

Not a whole lot of final third product from Cameroon

Comment

FT

Not a classic, but it was never set up to be.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              Not a whole lot of final third product from Cameroon
                              No, that's true. I thought they generally looked good in the air, and nearly scored from a corner of their own but otherwise they didn't offer much.

Three matches tomorrow, and we'll have seen everyone.

Comment

The next couple of games for Canada are against the same opponents, played in the same order, as the last World Cup. The were both draws. They should offer a yardstick as to how each team has advanced, or declined, since 2015. And in case you forgot Canada won their opening match 1-0 then too.

Comment

----------NZL-NED----------

Quite a slow pace in this game so far compared to some of the others but I think both teams are sussing each other out a bit.

Comment

Tough crowd

New Zealand have hit the bar and Holland keep threatening to break the deadlock only to fail with their final ball or be frustrated by the strong NZ defence.

Comment

Yeah, this is a better game than either of yesterdays

Comment

And now we know why Bloodworth plays in defence.

Comment

I'm warming to the match - mainly disappointed by the Dutch approach of knocking it very slowly between the back four before launching it hopefully at Miedema.

Comment

Last Saturday the Netherlands walloped the Matildas 3-0 in Eindhoven and it looks like New Zealand were watching that game closely, as they've got plenty behind the ball to make life difficult for the Dutch.

Comment

This is beyond ridiculous now

Comment

PT will be pleased. Paige Satchell is getting ready to come on.

Comment

Satchell unlucky there. Nearly bagged the winner.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X