Warmup friendlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warmup friendlies

In case anyone wants to watch it, Utah Valley University are currently playing Argentina, who are on a mini tour of the USA playing four friendlies in preparation for the World Cup. Utah Valley have just gone 1-0 up, five minutes in. It's being streamed live on YouTube.

I confess to never having heard of Utah Valley University, but it has almost 40,000 students and its women's team has won two Western Athletic Conference championships.

Comment

They gave a good go of it, especially in the first half, but Argentina turned it round after the break, and won 3-1 with a nicely worked equaliser and two goals thereafter which were less subtle, but just as spectacular, both from well outside the box.

https://twitter.com/TyCSports/status/1113284573142581248

https://twitter.com/TyCSports/status/1113286134128349189

Comment

Spain beat Brazil yesterday 2-1.

Comment

And Scotland followed suit tonight: 1-0, Kim Little with the goal. That is the biggest scalp (that I'm aware of) that Scotland's women have ever taken.

Comment

Just watched the highlights of Sco 1 Brz 0 in YouTube: overall we were lucky, but we'll take it.

The sight of Lizzie Arnot bamboozling a Brazilian fullback with feints and stepovers before setting up the only goal is one that'll stay with me for a while.

Comment

Brazil had a goal wrongly disallowed according to reports.

England are clinging to a 2-1 lead over Spain in Swindon, in front of a crowd of 13+k. England's opener was rather against the run of play, got confidence from that and scored again but now look shaky after Spain essentially walked through them to pull one back.

Comment

Yeh, she's some player.

Comment

18,000+ at Hampden as well, previous record attendance for the team was under 5000.

Comment

Any news on how bad the injury that forced Khadija Shaw off is? She is clearly absolutely vital for Jamaica, for it to be her going off unable to put weight on one leg was very concerning.

Comment

Answering my own question, Shaw's injury is being reported as a sprained ankle, and not something that puts her World Cup in doubt. However the other Jamaica player substituted with injury, Kayla McCoy, is at much higher risk of missing out. Hyper-extended knee, MRI scan needed. Must admit I missed McCoy's injury as I was cooking my dinner by then and relying on the crowd noise to see if I should pop back through and glance at the screen (I don't find BBC Alba's commentary very informative!).

Comment

I'm watching Wales v NZ from Cardiff Leckwith Stadium on the BBC red button and I'm not entirely sure it isn't being filmed on an iphone.

Comment

Wales get the only goal of the game in the 91st minute of a rain-lashed match, though you would imagine some of the New Zealanders would be used to those conditions.

Comment

I don't think New Zealand are going to do much except make up the numbers. Their number 8 was a decent player.

Decent game. Nice friendly atmosphere. Lots of kids, especially girls.

It's a shame Laura O'Sullivan can't play for the men's team as well. She is so good.

Comment

New Zealand beat England 1-0 at the weekend. Which is either an immense worry for England, or a sign that New Zealand didn't play as well today.

Comment

I'm surprised, given what I saw last night, that New Zealand beat England. I can only assume England were in 'don't get injured mode' and possibly giving squad players a run out.

I mean, New Zealand weren't bad. They had a good winger in number 11, but they subbed off their best player at half time (number 17) and for all their pretty play their shots on target were all easily saved. Even the penalty was poor, although obviously Laura had to dive the right way. They forced one really good save from the keeper and that was about it.

I don't think they'd be at the World Cup at all if they'd had to qualify from a European group.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  I'm watching Wales v NZ from Cardiff Leckwith Stadium on the BBC red button and I'm not entirely sure it isn't being filmed on an iphone.
                                  I didn't see any proper cameras or broadcast equipment there, so you might not be far off.

Comment

Working...
                                  X