The crowds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The crowds

Currently (16 March), the two semi finals and final in Lyon are listed as sold out, along with the opening match and the Nigeria-France and Sweden-USA group games. Sold out is of course an enigmatic and shifting concept in the fast moving and hospitality package orientated world of international sport.

A ticketing email sent out before single matches went on sale cited the USA (25,000) and England (3000) as notable purchasers of ticket packages. Content possibly tailored for the English language mailout?

Good runs for the hosts and the USA will be the biggest factors affecting how well the pre-sales translate into filled seats in the stadia at the business end of the competition, presumably.

Today in Madrid a crowd of more than 60,000 turned out to watch a women's game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJXzsLu1rb4

Comment

39,000 for Juventus-Fiorentina today.

Comment

What are people's opinions on the free-ticketing policy that helped both of those huge crowds Sporting and Benjm mention? I think it makes sense to a point to grow the audience, but runs the risk of setting a precedent as well.

A few weeks ago down here, Boca Juniors v Lanús was played in the Bombonera ahead of the men's Superliga match between Boca and San Lorenzo. Watching on TV, the fans (who were just early arrivals for the mens' game) didn't seem bothered, but it was the first time that a Big Five club has let the women play in their main stadium. I believe Racing have followed suit since.

This sort of ties in with the big news about women's football in Argentina, which is that the top flight is going (mostly) professional starting at the end of the current season. A big step in a country in as parlous an economic state as Argentina.

Comment

Managed to get two cheap seats behind the goal for ENG-SCO in Nice, €9 each, very reasonable.

Comment

I'm beginning to think that FIFA used the same people who did ticketing for Roland-Garros for this.

The Stade Océane in Le Havre looks half empty for Netherlands-New Zealand, and Canada-Cameroon in Montpellier yesterday was only marginally better.

Comment

Less than half empty at Montpellier I think, 11k-ish

Comment

Article from the BBC with some numbers on this. Not that those make a whole load of sense. England-Scotland, for example; 11,323 tickets sold to UK postcodes plus another 2,000 via the respective FAs. And yet the total reported attendance was 13,188. That suggested that, um, -135 locals etc. attended! Erm...
                Also, there is the total capacity of all the games/venues of 1.59m and yet only 1.3m tickets on sale. Corporates? Or was it always the organising committee's intention that sections of grounds wouldn't be opened and they are just not admitting it. In which case why play games in ~35,000 capacity venues like Nice? A full or nearly full house in a 20,000 stadium such as for the Brazil game in Grenoble gives a much better atmosphere.

Comment

One of those 135 was a friend of mine, and she went with a couple of other people

Comment

Minus 135...

Obviously that wouldn't (couldn't) be true. Neither was it going to be nil. So where were all the other missing ticket holders?? Nesta, did you make it to Nice?

Comment

No, alas I'm part of the problem. As it turned out I've too much on this week, it wasn't practical. Would like to get over for at least one game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                        What are people's opinions on the free-ticketing policy that helped both of those huge crowds Sporting and Benjm mention? I think it makes sense to a point to grow the audience, but runs the risk of setting a precedent as well.

The Atletico Madrid - Barcelona game was free for home season ticket holders but others had to pay between 5 and 25 euros.

Surely the lack of walk-up tickets has contributed in part to some of the lower attendances. Yeah, security concerns and that...but I can buy, usually, a ticket to watch Levante 20 minutes before the match.

Comment

Barca has a similar policy (all home matches are free for socis) and I completely agree about the ban on walk up sales

Comment

Working...
                          X