Against Hereditary Mascots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Against Hereditary Mascots

ettie, the France 2019 mascot, is, canonically, the daughter of celebrated France '98 mascot Footix.

It's disappointing, IMO, that for all of France's republican traditions, World Cup mascots are restricted to a hereditary dynasty of privileged poussins.

Mascotry should be a meritocracy and the highest levels of the field should be open to all anthropomorphised animals, rather than confined to a nepotistic elite.

Shame on the FFF.

It's also irritatingly cishetnormative, which seems inappropriate for furries.

Comment

I was impressed that Footix, post tournament, had landed the part of Marius Pontmercy in the recent BBC version of Les Miserables, kicking against the long tradition of landing a big tournament mascot role being an even bigger career killer than being a Bond Girl.

Trix and Flix, from Euro 2008, were last heard of playing the vertical and horizontal bars of the cross in the 2010 Oberammergau Passion Play.

Comment

This kind of cultural appropriation is very offensive to the chicken population.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
          I was impressed that Footix, post tournament, had landed the part of Marius Pontmercy in the recent BBC version of Les Miserables, kicking against the long tradition of landing a big tournament mascot role being an even bigger career killer than being a Bond Girl.

Trix and Flix, from Euro 2008, were last heard of playing the vertical and horizontal bars of the cross in the 2010 Oberammergau Passion Play.
          Mascosts for the European Championship have been very conservative in recent decades. 2016's Super Victor, 2012's Slavek and Slavko and 2004's Kinas have been forgettable. The last good mascot was 2002's Benelucky.

It remains, to my knowledge, the only experiment in combining the colours and iconography of two host federations - Benelucky boasts a lion's mane and devil's tail - like some terrble Chimera of the Low Countries.

Comment

Bloody hell, I never clocked Benelucky. How many people are inside operating that thing?

Comment

"Curses, my deadline for submitting the design for the mascot is tomorrow morning, I have nothing to show and I am wasting the few hours that remain sitting in front of this late night showing of The Fly..."

Comment

Benelucky does look like a surreal dog toy.

Comment

It looks like a surreal Wheel of Fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                    It's disappointing, IMO, that for all of France's republican traditions, World Cup mascots are restricted to a hereditary dynasty of privileged poussins.
                    i'm going to defend the choice of ettie on the following bases:

1 Her dad was a good luck charm for the national team (and the family link might help sell tickets);

2 She doesn't have a minuscule waist;

3 Her own apparent immaculate conception might bother the catholic Right;

4 We need to eclipse the other prominent father-daughter dynasty in French public life.
                    Last edited by laverte; 06-03-2019, 20:00.

Comment

Excellent points, really well made

Comment

A reminder of previous tournaments' mascots
                        Canada 2015's Shuéme

Germany 2011's Karla Kick

China 2007's Hua Mulan

Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 08-03-2019, 12:03.

Comment

USA 1999's Nutmeg

Comment

On the one hand, Nutmeg seems to be the last mascot not to have been focus-grouped right down to her very shoelaces. On the other, she looks like she's been drawn up in less time than it takes someone in a beret outside the Sacré Coeur to do a crap caricature of Cher.

i had to look up what the Canadian mascot was supposed to be. Apparently my language skills are lacking, for: "Shuéme['s] name is inspired by the French word for owl (chouette) as a tribute to Canada’'s status as a bilingual nation." Well, i guess both words begin with sh/ch. i'm still wondering what to make of that acute accent: it doesn't work in French. Strange tribute. i think ettie would be a better name for an owl. In any case, my first thought was that with a wingspan like hers, Shuéme would be a goalkeeper, but the marketing blurb suggests otherwise: "with stylish hair that exudes self-confidence and pride, Shuéme'’s flowing contours suggest grace under pressure, while her wings and tail ensure precise control and agility." Has there ever been a goalkeeping (tournament) mascot? Or are keepers unjustly marginalised and excluded in the world of leaping up and down and remembering to hydrate?
                            Last edited by laverte; 08-03-2019, 15:47.

Comment

I have a vague recollection that the accent was ignored when her name was pronounced (in both English and French).

Comment

Do all female mascots have to wear thick mascara lest we mistake them for - gulp! - blokes? FFS.

Comment

was going to say owls don't even have eye-lashes, but, apparently snowy owls actually do

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth...00/9344054.stm

Comment

In today's social media updates, Ettie is sky diving over Valenciennes.

It seems a little mean to make a flightless bird jump out of a plane wearing a parachute, adding insult to evolutionary injury.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                      It's also irritatingly cishetnormative, which seems inappropriate for furries.
                                      I was dragged along by a visitor to see a connaught vs Leinster Rugby game. I learned a number of things. Firstly an open Greyhound track on top of a hill overlooking the sea is a very cold place to watch anything. Connaught mascot Eddie The Eagle, hates being called a seagull more than any crystal palace fan. But not as much as he hates being asked about the local furry scene. I thought I was going to get attacked. TBH I was quite surprised. This is 2019 and being a furry has got to be a lot more socially acceptable than being a sporting mascot

Comment

Ha ha ha

Comment

Ettie has been stolen

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/co...rss_to_twitter

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                            X