No announcement yet.

Calling an ABE Brigade EGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone considered that "the Lionesses" winning is the sort of thing that will provide no happiness to most of the annoying elements that have inspired the AEB, and will in fact likely just wind them up and put more pressure on the men's team?

Comment

I'm going to watch tonight and will feel reasonably happy for the England team if they win. It's a different team and generally a different fanbase. The worst Ingerland fans are being confronted with reality that shakes their world view on gender. And its refreshing hearing so many women talking about the game with joyful enthusiasm instead of the angry grumpy men pundits we usually have to endure.

Whatever the result, Ellen White will cry. That's a given.

Comment

So which thread are we using come the actual match?

Comment

Dear lawd, not this one surely?

Someone needs to start a specific one, the occasion demands it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            Has anyone considered that "the Lionesses" winning is the sort of thing that will provide no happiness to most of the annoying elements that have inspired the AEB, and will in fact likely just wind them up and put more pressure on the men's team?
            Considered that but also fuck England and any expression of Englishness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
              Dear lawd, not this one surely?

Someone needs to start a specific one, the occasion demands it.
              You're good with puns...

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

I hope you enjoy your evening and drift off to Footballs coming home!

Comment

Skinner & Baddiel back at No.1? Fuck me.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

I hope you enjoy your evening and drift off to Footballs coming home!
                    Made me smile, it's wonderful watching the Lioness' win, the sheer joy on their faces is something to behold. Well done to all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      Skinner & Baddiel back at No.1? Fuck me.
                      Jesus, seriously? It's worse than I'd imagined.

Comment

England's men winning the cricket World Cup in 2019 seems closer to this event than the men winning Euro 2020 would have been, in terms of the hysteria, but again I'm 5000 miles away so less affected.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Jesus, seriously? It's worse than I'd imagined.
                          No, just a thought that it might happen.

Comment

Oh, thank god. I was worried.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              In my experience, the country needs to be minimally competent in order to be notably jingoistic

The least jingoistic coverage of an Olympics I experienced was Belgium in 1992, at which they won a total of three medals (a silver and two bronzes).
                              Not so in Portugal, sadly. In the build up to every Olympics, the main channels go crazy for the judo fighter Telma Monteiro. She appears in adverts, she carries the flag and she always goes out in the first round. Other than that, there's a lot of pride in the size of Nelson Evora's manhood, but the most successful athletes, like Evora, Obikwelu or recently, Pedro Pichardo, were not born in Portugal and are not embraced in the same way Monteiro or some kneeling canoeist is (Portugal are good at that sport).

Might I say, this is only the main terrestrial channels, Eurosport coverage is always unbiased and outstanding in Portugal.

Comment

Nah that's too much. This seems broadly OK as long as it doesn't become some bullshit Olympics opening ceremony type meme nonsense for soft brained people

Comment

Had a nice time at the game. Was less awful than I was expecting when England actually won

i think there's a lot of good people in women's football who deserve this but in conclusion death to England

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

Made me smile, it's wonderful watching the Lioness' win, the sheer joy on their faces is something to behold. Well done to all of them.
                                    Me too. I enjoyed it.

You’ll never hear from me again.

Comment

i think there's a lot of good people in women's football who deserve this but in conclusion death to England
                                      Yeah, I was very happy for all the people I've met who've put so much into Doncaster Belles over the years... but at the same time it wasn't the German FA that completely fucked the Belles over.

Comment

"AEB"?

Comment

Yes, that's what I should have written in the OP, but couldn't quite remember the acronym for the "Anti-England Brigade" (as in the media hype, rather than all English individuals).

Comment

Working...
                                          X