Game 2: Norway vs N.Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game 2: Norway vs N.Ireland

Dunc may well be in the pub and therefore busy, and he already has his rolling thread going on his side, so I'll start a standalone one for tonight's game.

Thoughts are mostly about whether the Irish girls will be able to compete or get blown away. The 1-4 against Belgium was worrying from that perspective as Belgium are pretty green-behind-the-ears in terms of making tournaments themselves... and whilst it's true the Irish goalie got red-carded with the score at 1-1 that was a massively against-the-run-of-play scoreline at the time from the sounds of things. So 1-4 might be indicatively bad.

Norway are not the force they once were, of course. That is as much as anything else from everyone else catching up overtaking them from their early start of taking the Women's game decently seriously. Not equally seriously to the Men's as Ada Hegerberg would explain (if she had the patience for such stupid questions), but closer than others. Hence the Olmypic golds, World Cup wins and Euros titles back in the day. But, well, the last three World Cups read: out in the groups, knocked out in last 16, knocked out in the QFs. Euros - Semis, Runners-up, ... but then bottom of their group with a 0-0-3 0-4 record five years ago. Olympics? Not been there since 2008. So, you know.

All the fuss will be about Hegerberg's* return to International tournaments for the first time since the 2017 Euros... and as noted that didn't go well. She will be determined to shine, which ought to worry everyone Norway come up against... if her teammates can give her the platform to do so. But it isn't really fair to portray Norway as a one-woman team when they have other players such as Maren Mjelde, Guro Reiten, Frida Maanum (all familiar to WSL audiences) and possibly most particularly Caroline Graham Hansen (just familiar). One main area of concern would be goalkeeper though - clear first choice Cecile Fiskerstrand got injured at the back end of the season and is not in the squad. The three goalies included have a combined four caps between them!

* - should clarify that is Ada as her older sister Andrine is also a Norwegian international... except Andrine hasn't come back into the fold.
    Last edited by Janik; 07-07-2022, 12:46.

Could be a long evening for the North - Blakstad gives Norway the lead, and the women in red are getting acres of space. 2-0 now!

Comment

Graham Hansen converts a penalty for 3-0.

Comment

Must say, both Wade and Burns have stood out for NI.

Comment

What a perfect moment to switch on. Awful defending but NI are back in it.

Comment

If only briefly. 4-1 from a well placed free kick.

Comment

And 4-1 now, with the most predictable free kick goal since Ronald Koeman against england in 1993

Comment

I was about to post that Norway look really good and are a class above Northern Ireland, when NI made history and scored their first goal at a tournament.

Comment

I want Jonathan Pearce to fuck off ideally forever

Comment

I don't understand how that challenge from McGee on Hegerberg is permissable

Comment

I don't understand how McFadden's still on the pitch there.

Comment

I think the Norwegian players were making the same point directly to her. Lip readers will have picked up McFadden’s response to this (it was fruity).

[the actual answer is poor refereeing standards, and a dubious assumption that women play fairer/cleaner so give way too much benefit of the doubt]

Comment

Thanks all for comments. I enjoyed the game despite its one-sidedness. More in the morning

Comment

I rarely see Northern Ireland internationals so I forget they, like England, love a good rendition of God Save the Queen before they get started.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but when NI play England next Friday, will they decide to just play GSTQ once and tell both sets of players & fans to just go for it and have a big royal love in? Or if they decide to play it twice, will each set of supporters boo the others version? The suspense is killing me!

Comment

There was no booing of the Austrian anthem on Wednesday, which was nice (I felt like booing its poor quality as an anthem). I'm sure they will play it twice on Friday. Lucky crowd.

Comment

Poor timing in finishing my pint meant having to sit through GSTQ

Comment

I'm back eventually after some (largely self-inflicted) logistical problems

Janik fear not, my beer intake stayed modest not least to the probs above. 2 pints at lunchtime on matchday, one at the ground and one yesterday. Honest. didn't want to get sunstroke while blocked

Discordant Resonance in yer honor I saluted the couple nearby in Antrim GAA shirts with a chant of "Green White and Saffron Army"

CY_Boaby dont forget Liechtenstein who also use the melody

I can't see why Shiels and son persist with playing out from the back. Fine against Nordie Mac and co, not when playing the elite. It just means the keeper taking two back passes from each goal kick, then hoofing it barely 35metres upfield.

Shame about Simone Magill's injury. More positiively Abbie Magee did well- she gets some stick from fans, I think due to fitness issues, but some quality interceptions there

Comment

This was the last game I attended

Comment

Working...
                                    X