Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finalists & Draw (date tbc)

Qualified as host- England

Group Winners- Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, France, Spain

Best Runners Up- Iceland, Austria, Italy

Play Off Winners- Russia, Switzerland, Northern Ireland

Scandinavia seems very well represented - 5/16 countries (if we include Finland which does seem to get lumped in with the others these days). No Eastern European teams apart from Russia.

Would I be wrong thinking this is indicative of how established the women's game is in certain countries?

Comment

Speaking only for this part of the World, the Women's game in Scotland, Wales and RoI has been much stronger and better resourced than in NI for decades, yet none of them got close to qualifying

Actually I'll speak for Ukraine. 1-4 in the playoff was deserved, they were lethargic and sloppy for 180 minutes

The draw will be based around 4 pools seeded according to combined results in the current qualifiers and last 2 completed tournaments. Details below

Pool A

Netherlands, Germany, England, France

Pool B

Sweden, Spain, Norway, Italy

Pool C

Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria

Pool D

Iceland, Russia, Finland, NI

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
        Speaking only for this part of the World, the Women's game in Scotland, Wales and RoI has been much stronger and better resourced than in NI for decades, yet none of them got close to qualifying
        I mean, two of Wales, RoI and Scotland got fairly close to qualifying.

From a Welsh perspective, had Laura O'Sullivan not dropped the ball at the feet of Ashley Hutton in the 95th minute against NI, or had obvious penalties for Wales not been denied late on in either game against Norway, or had goal difference across the group taken precedence over away goals in head-to-heads, Wales would have finished second in the group.

Hey ho, NI performed in the games they needed to and we didn't - but it's just patently false to say we didn't get close. Similarly, Ireland were close, but they were very poor in the crucial game that should have secured a playoff spot against Ukraine. Even so, they were far better than Ukraine in that game. Scotland, fair enough - they were top seeds and they lost every important game without scoring a goal. Dismal.

I actually think for Wales this failure to qualify is a blessing in disguise in that it has already lead to structural improvements in the women's game in Wales - for a start, new coach Gemma Grainger is only in charge of the senior side rather than the age groups as Jayne Ludlow was - idk if NI have less resources than Wales, but Kenny Shields is/was only in charge of the seniors over the qualifying campaign.

You could see the changes immediately in the friendly against Denmark (who won 9/10 of their qualifying group games) - it was a breath of fresh air to see our best players playing in their preferred positions - playing high-tempo possession football and frequently playing the visitors off the park.
        Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 17-04-2021, 09:38.

Comment

I did wonder if #3 above might read as a dig, but given Bizarre Löw Triangle point-missing sulk I needn't have bothered.

Wales didn't get close, as I said. They messed up early by failing to beat NI over 2 games, couldn't get even the draw against Norway that would have been enough, then were left relying on a favour from Belarus or Faroes in the last 2 rounds. From which point NI were the clear favourite to progress, duly achieved.

The South had at least an arithmetical chance going into their final game against high-flying Germany, but weren't seriously expected to win it, as predictably ensued

Gurning about the countback system confirmed before the series started is just childish.

NI are less well resourced than our neighbors, evidenced not just by FA turnover but that many of the players are students or employed to coach kids etc. Of course I'm not complaining, no-one is forcing us to play international football.

We're agreed at least that the Sweatlanas were mince ​​​​​​

I wish our 3 neighbors well in their forthcoming friendlies. Hopefully their er, defences will be more effectively defensive...

Comment

It's always refreshing to see such a graceful winner.

Comment

Truculent Taff, Sanctimonious Scot...wonder if there'll be a Frothing Freestater to complete the set?

BLT was suggesting that either I dissed the non-qualifying 3 as a pisstake, or didn't know or understand the qualifying process.Wrong on all counts. I tend to reply to witless snides in kind. Shall we move on?

​​​​

Comment

I did wonder if #3 above might read as a dig, but given Bizarre Löw Triangle point-missing sulk I needn't have bothered.

Wales didn't get close, as I said. They messed up early by failing to beat NI over 2 games, couldn't get even the draw against Norway that would have been enough, then were left relying on a favour from Belarus or Faroes in the last 2 rounds. From which point NI were the clear favourite to progress, duly achieved.

The South had at least an arithmetical chance going into their final game against high-flying Germany, but weren't seriously expected to win it, as predictably ensued

Gurning about the countback system confirmed before the series started is just childish.
                By any measure RoI and Wales were "close" to qualifying but whatever. Not being close enough is the important thing.

NI are less well resourced than our neighbors, evidenced not just by FA turnover but that many of the players are students or employed to coach kids etc. Of course I'm not complaining, no-one is forcing us to play international football.
                You realise this is also true for Wales - aside from genuinely world class players like Jess Fishlock (who missed most of the qualifying campaign) and a few other fully-pro first-teamers, the bulk of the Welsh squad is semi-profesional with a few amateurs (including goalkeeper Lauren O'Sullivan). And, as I said, we didn't even have a dedicated senior coach. Fair play to NI for clearly using their limited resources better than we have - I think the FAW have been coasting on the coattails of FA investment for years and tbh it's not good enough.

We're a team which at its strongest can compete with the best, but ultimately is a couple of injuries away from being totally toothless. I think at least part of that is Ludlowball - by using our best players to tighten the defence, we don't really have anything going on up front, and I'm looking forward to Gemma Grainger changing that paradigm up a bit.

We're agreed at least that the Sweatlanas were mince ​​​​​​

I wish our 3 neighbors well in their forthcoming friendlies. Hopefully their er, defences will be more effectively defensive...
                Wales only conceded four goals across the campaign - it's northern ireland's defence - which shipped 17 goals across eight group games - that you need to be worrying about.

Truculent Taff, Sanctimonious Scot...wonder if there'll be a Frothing Freestater to complete the set?
                I'm not sure you're in any position to accuse anyone of being childish. my original post was perhaps a still slightly bitter bite at your obvious bait before moving on to talk about Wales and the recent friendlies which somehow you interpreted as a "witless snide" and a "point-missing sulk" before chucking around tedious xenophobic slurs. Well done on your qualification go fuck yourself.
                Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 17-04-2021, 10:54.

Comment

If it was that tedious you'd have ignored it; if you merely thought I was exaggerating you'd have said that and we could have agreed to differ. Instead you dived in, got a predictable response and then started crying. Lighten up or fuck a duck- but make sure to take the thesaurus out of your hole first.

As I was saying, shall we move on?

Comment

If it was that tedious you'd have ignored it; if you merely thought I was exaggerating you'd have said that and we could have agreed to differ. Instead you dived in, got a predictable response and then started crying. Lighten up or fuck a duck- but make sure to take the thesaurus out of your hole first.

As I was saying, shall we move on?
                    you gonna apologise for calling me a "taff" or what?

Comment

Bizarre Löw Triangle ​​​​​​I apologise sincerely for calling you a Taff.

Comment

apology accepted

Comment

Blimey, I missed this thread - 15 odd months ahead of the tournament and an intra-UK, old school-OTF style blazing barney. Can't wait for next summer, even though Scotland won't be there for all the reasons painted so lyrically above.

Comment

I was hoping to avoid reviving this one until the draw in September

Apologies again to the Welsh nation (oafish insults), the RoI team (missing how close they got) and of course the Scots (although in my defence it would be pointless pretending their collapse didn't prompt a giggle...)

Comment

Tickets are on sale for the tournament today and are very cheap. Just go here to set up an account and use the access code VISA.

I've bought for all the games at Brentford, the England game at St Mary's and the Final.

Comment

I thought it was a ballot, so was pleasantly surprised when I progressed through the system and found I'd purchased actual tickets. So I'm currently going to the first group game and quarter final at the New York plus the semi final at the Lane which might feature England, and I'll possibly add more to those nearer the time. No booking fees either I see.

Comment

Thanks Ray de Galles. Me and Mrs Etienne are going to the opening match at Old Trafford, and we're taking Little Miss Etienne to the first group game at Leigh.

Comment

I registered but can't buy tickets - presumably because I'm in Germany. This Brexit thing is working so well on so many levels.

Comment

I'll ask the group I'm on to see if I can find a workaround on that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                        Thanks Ray de Galles. Me and Mrs Etienne are going to the opening match at Old Trafford, and we're taking Little Miss Etienne to the first group game at Leigh.
                                        We'll be at Old Trafford too and at the Academy Stadium the following Thursday.

Comment

Bagged myself tickets for the final and for games at Brentford and Brighton. I've not been to either of those grounds and this seems a great opporunity to visit them rather than a moribund early round League Cup tie.

Comment

We’ve got em for the final, Brentford and Brighton I think. Possibly the semis if they’re at Wembley as well. If a visit to Bletchley Park can be fitted in I think we’re going back in for a game at mkd. Sorry. We went to a Woman’s and Youths FA Cup Final double header there a few years back as well so I’m a repeat offender.

Comment

The Semis are due to be in Sheffield and Milton Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                I'll ask the group I'm on to see if I can find a workaround on that for you.
                                                Thanks, Ray. Would it be as simple as using a VPN and using a UK address for tickets? Only problem is that the credit card address would still be Germany... Do you need actual names on each ticket for this tournament?

Comment

I've bought tickets for nine games in all, at the two Manchester venues, Leigh, Sheffield and Rotherham.

I did nine games last time the Euros were in England as well, although back then that was more than half the tournament. Also none of this pre-booking lark - it was turn up on the day and pay your fiver to get into which ever one of the stands at the ground they'd decided to open.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X