No announcement yet.

Euro 2024 Finals - the Planning thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous for its smoked beer. Don’t get sucked in to the hype. It’s not great.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't sound that appealing. The days in Bamberg are supposedly going to be a bit more sober, but realistically with three games on TV each day we're going to end up in the pub / brewery watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        Famous for its smoked beer. Don’t get sucked in to the hype. It’s not great.
        That's a matter of taste. I love it.

Comment

Agree that rauchbier is over rated

Comment

Unsuccessful again.

Comment

4 of the 6 people in my group have received the results.... zero from 35 games applied for.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - just logged in and unsuccessful on all 16 applications. Now we wait til March and see if the resale platform offers even the slightest sniff of tickets. If not, or I can only get one game then I'll bin the flights off and maybe look to do a random European trip early next season (before the Champions League kicks off in earnest).

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                  4 of the 6 people in my group have received the results.... zero from 35 games applied for.
                  And nothing from all 6 people who applied. 60 games, zero tickets. Over 100 game applications between the two phases, not one ticket. Fucking joke.

Comment

Nada.

Comment

And you don't even need to book any flights.

Comment

Compare and contrast:
                        • 36 years ago for Euro 88 I got tickets to all three England group games, two other group games, both semi finals and the final by sending the FA a polite letter explaining which tickets I wanted and enclosing a cheque for about £60. By my reckoning the equivalent 8 games from Euro 88 in 2024 could set you back up to £3000 or thereabouts
                        • For Euro 2024 seand and friends make 100 applications and get nothing.
                        I imagine you can pinpoint pretty accurately where football at this level became utterly shit by plotting ticket prices and ease of purchase on the X and Y axes of a graph
                        Last edited by colchestersid; 25-01-2024, 23:40.

Comment

My wife's work placement in Mexico ends next year, but I keep trying to persuade her to take the option of a year extension so I can attend a few games of the 2026 world cup. But based on this thread, there's no point and I may as well give up hope on that ever happening.

​​​​​
                          ​​​​​

Comment

Is there any evidence of fans in other countries failing to land tickets? Any stats on applications/available tickets? Or other theories?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              Is there any evidence of fans in other countries failing to land tickets? Any stats on applications/available tickets? Or other theories?
                              This gives a few stats - they've had 50 million applications so far, so getting 0/100 isn't statistically impossible

UEFA EURO 2024: Fans of participating teams request 30 million tickets | UEFA EURO 2024 | UEFA.com

Comment

Reckon on the basis of the previous Finals I've attended, there will probably be a good few tickets floating about before games, especially for countries with smaller travelling supports, not ideal, but still allows some hope?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Not so much a theory, but my feeling is that it's just a perfect storm:

Hosts with a culture of groundhopping and matchgoing down to a very low level, therefore a huge number of locals who want to attend matches;

Located in Central Europe so easily accessible for pretty much everyone;

Several host cities that are popular destinations in themselves;

First 'proper' tournament in Europe since 2016;

COVID accelerating the (already noticeable) desire amongst people to spend their disposable income on 'Experiences' and creating memories, rather than just buying more stuff.

There's probably more factors I've not thought of. I've seen some figures for numbers of applications for individual games and they are clearly massively oversubscribed, but it still feels like more of the people we know should've got at least one game.

Comment

So, I've finally heard of someone who landed tickets. A colleague of frau imp's scored four tickets for... Slovakia v Romania here in Frankfurt. At €280 each. And which of course he doesn't want, and can't find any takers for. I'm waiting until late June when he decides to give them away.

Two hundred and 80 fucking Euros to watch Slovakia v Romania. Fuck me if football isn't fucking fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post
                                      Compare and contrast:
                                      • 36 years ago for Euro 88 I got tickets to all three England group games, two other group games, both semi finals and the final by sending the FA a polite letter explaining which tickets I wanted and enclosing a cheque for about £60. By my reckoning the equivalent 8 games from Euro 88 in 2024 could set you back up to £3000 or thereabouts
                                      • For Euro 2024 seand and friends make 100 applications and get nothing.
                                      I imagine you can pinpoint pretty accurately where football at this level became utterly shit by plotting ticket prices and ease of purchase on the X and Y axes of a graph
                                      There were other reasons why people weren't falling over themselves to go and support England abroad in 1988. Like getting cavalry charged by baton-wielding riot police and tear-gassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

There were other reasons why people weren't falling over themselves to go and support England abroad in 1988. Like getting cavalry charged by baton-wielding riot police and tear-gassed.
                                        Both of which happened to me in Dusseldorf before the Netherlands - England game so fair point

The semi final in Hamburg was pretty scary as well
                                        Last edited by colchestersid; 12-02-2024, 13:24.

Comment

So, UEFA have decided to change the way their ticket resale platform operates (at least, from how it operated in 2016) - instead of being open for a long(ish) period of time for both sellers and buyers, it's now only going to be open for a (unspecified) number of very short windows "to avoid fans having to constantly check for new ticket availability".

So the platform is open to sellers only at the moment, then it will open to buyers from this Weds 13 March at 11:00 CET to 14 March at 11:00 CET.

Uefa go on to say that:

• Tickets will be sold on a first come, first served basis.

• Considering the record demand for tickets during the previous application phases, long queues are expected. UEFA will show the availability of tickets on EURO2024.com/tickets shortly before the resale platform opens for purchase.

And obviously if the platform isn't open to sellers during the period that it's open to buyers, it stands to reason that once a match is sold out, no more tickets will be coming available (at least, not in that window of sale).

Comment

I am in the waiting room. There's a bar that fills up to indicate your place in the queue. I suspect this queue is very long, and that if I ever reach the front there will be a SOLD OUT sign on the shop door.

Comment

"The bar below indicates your progress to enter the Ticket Portal." Still a long way from spaffing my money into Uefa's coffers. At least it's not like the Eintracht site, where they give you a number of how many people are ahead of you and drain you of all hope. Maybe there will be something for Slovakia v Romania by the time I reach the front.

Comment

I am also in the waiting room. For the first 3 minutes after it opened, I got a message telling me it should have opened at 11:00 CET, then I got a Please Wait - Technical Error message. Then I had to do one of those Captcha things. Another technical error message. Tried hitting refresh. Technical error. Tried a second, then a third browser window. Got a puzzle to solve to prove I'm not a bot. Opened a new browser in Chrome in case it was Edge that it didn't like. That one has got me into the waiting room, although it is also giving me intermittent "There is a problem with the server connection" messages - which thankfully go away after a while and haven't lost me my place in the queue. I'm also now in the waiting room on my phone browser on Mrs TrLs login details, so whichever of them gets me to the front of the queue faster will be the one I use, in the unlikely event there are any tickets left by then.

Comment

Yes, I went through a lot of that too - no page at all, then a page with a technical error, then two captcha puzzles. Now my little green bar is about one eighth of the way along the queue. It will likely go faster when other people reach the front of the queue and decide they don't want to pay €400 for Slovakia v Romania. Neither will I, but a reasonably priced ticket for that game is likely going to be my only chance of seeing a live game in Frankfurt.

The other day I bought two tickets for Germany v Netherlands here in a couple of weeks. €80 each is going to seem like a total bargain.

Comment

Against my better judgement I just checked back on the ticket availability page, and all those green Available indicators that looked so promising at 10:30 this morning are gradually disappearing and being replaced by orange or grey ones indicating few or no tickets available. As my progress indicator is no more than 1/5 of the way across, I strongly suspect that no tickets will be available by the time I've wasted another 3 hours of my day and got in.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X