No announcement yet.

Player of the tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-3-3 is an odd choice and means you are on short in midfield and have a surplus striker (unless one of Chiesa and Sterling plays much deeper). Kante has to be in there IMHO and I think Pogba has to be very close (certainly one of the 5 subs if they go 1-0 down).

Comment

The tournament winners played 4-3-3.

Walker and Spinazzola's presence easily make that a 3-4-3 too (though Pedri would not be the most defensive other wide player).
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2021, 09:55.

Comment

Another +1 for Zidane in 2006. He was a true delight to watch. I didn't think he had it in him at 34 but he was everywhere in those knockout games, always looking for the ball, seemingly aware of everything going on around him.

Comment

Lukaku is probably the right choice for best centre forward but, in terms of a breakout artiste in that position, an honourable mention to Patrik Schick.

Comment

Chiellini will just have to console himself with the trophy.

Comment

Kicker's Best XI:

Donnarumma

Kjaer
              Chiellini
              Maguire
              Dumfries

de Bruyne
              Pedri
              Spinazzola

Schick
              Kane
              Ronaldo

The best thing you can say about that forward line is that they didn't pick Lukaku, who I thought had a middling tournament, especially in the important knockout games. Kicker tends to base its selections and ratings really heavily on goals and assists, which is fair enough up to a point, but potentially superficial in assessing a player's value to their team. I don't think any of those three strikers were outstanding enough to feature in the Best XI.

Comment

I love it that Donnarumma had no idea that his save off Saka had won Italy the Euros. He had thought Italy had lost when Jorginho missed his penalty. He thought that when he saved Saka's, it was still tied. I was wondering why he was so calm after that save.

Anyway, I reckon Chiellini was the Player of the Tournament. Kicker has the best average ratings for him as well, even with De Bruyne.

Taking of, here's the kicker team:

Donnarumma -- Kjaer, Chiellini, Maguire -- Dumfries, De Bruyne, Pedri, Spinazzola -- Schick, Kane, Ronaldo

I'd have Sommer in goal, and Sterling or Lukaku ahead of Kane. I'm not sure Pedri was all that brilliant either. Jorginho insread of him is a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                  Kicker's Best XI:

Donnarumma

Kjaer
                  Chiellini
                  Maguire
                  Dumfries

de Bruyne
                  Pedri
                  Spinazzola

Schick
                  Kane
                  Ronaldo

The best thing you can say about that forward line is that they didn't pick Lukaku, who I thought had a middling tournament, especially in the important knockout games. Kicker tends to base its selections and ratings really heavily on goals and assists, which is fair enough up to a point, but potentially superficial in assessing a player's value to their team. I don't think any of those three strikers were outstanding enough to feature in the Best XI.
                  Spinazzola in a midfield three and Kane up front? That's ridiculous.

Edit : actually, did they lay it out as 4-3-3 because the selection of three centre backs and the two full backs choices make a 3-4-3 a more sensible use of the players listed.

Second Edit : ah, I see G Man has cleared that up in a cross-post.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2021, 12:06.

Comment

I'm sure there are loads of statistics that'll ram my words back whence they came, but Kjaer's defensive headers were often pretty dodgy. Too flat and bang into the middle of the defensive final third. He used to do it at Wolfsburg as well. Back in the day, I used to get ripped a new one for headers like that. ("Wass 'e got, a fuckin' shammy ledder on 'e forredd? Moy nanna can 'edd be'er 'an nat, and she bin washin' 'erself in a fuckin' baffchair for the last ten years!"

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      I love it that Donnarumma had no idea that his save off Saka had won Italy the Euros. He had thought Italy had lost when Jorginho missed his penalty. He thought that when he saved Saka's, it was still tied. I was wondering why he was so calm after that save.
                      Really? I wondered exactly the same when I saw the highlights afterwards and thought he must just be playing it cool. He very classily went to commiserate with Simon right after the semi-final shootout so it would have been in character.

I'd love to see footage of his face when realisation hit as he saw the squad charging towards him.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2021, 12:08.

Comment

Here you go
                        https://twitter.com/Slasherrrr/status/1414914393570267136

Comment

Belissimo! Grazie mille.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2021, 12:32.

Comment

I still don't get what the rest of you guys see in Sterling. Italy nullified his sole attacking threat on Saturday just by not going near him, and letting him run the ball out of play all by himself, much as a group of dads would do at a wedding garden party kickaround when a toddler gets the ball and excitedly runs after it.

Comment

He gets on the end of crosses and through balls at pace. 7 goal attempts on target, 3 scored, 1 assist.
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-07-2021, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                Robbie Keane? Jesus.
                                Growing up, he dreamed of being a UEFA Technical Observer

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  Donnarumma was beaten on the inside by a good but saveable shot, and then had a nap for 2 hours - while the two old codgers in front of him were immense.

If we're picking a keeper, Sommer or Schmeichel.
                                  He didn't even see that shot. We've got to start factoring in not just where the ball is going, but how fucking fast it's going and how long the goalkeeper has to react. If someone gets to volley a long cross, from a distance of eight yards out, you're just sticking out your arms and praying that he hits you, because you can't possibly react to something flying at you at 60 mph plus over such a short distance.

This thing of "goalkeepers shouldn't be beaten at their near post" comes from a time when you didn't have forwards who were consistently able to aim inside the near post and disguise their shot until the very last second.

I don't understand how spinazzola gets in the team of the tournament ahead of shaw. Shaw had a really good knockout stage, which spinazzola unfortunately missed out on nearly entirely.through injury.

Comment

I think it's that Spinnazola had an amazing game every time he played, I think his ratings were consistently around 8 every match, many people were talking about him being Player of the Tournament before he went down.

Comment

Perhaps but after he got injured shaw set up three goals, and scored in the final, which must have surprised him as much as anyone. The crosses from open play against Germany for sterling's opener, and for kane's second were so slick that even i could have scored, and the free kick for maguire's header was as good as you could ask for. Also without his runs upfield in support of sterling, England didn't have a whole heap else going on from open play.

I don't know who would have been more surprised at their tournament form. This is theoretically what shaw is supposed to do all the time, but doesn't, and spinnazola plays for roma, who are known for many things, but quality defending is not high among them.

Comment

Could you not play them both in a 4-4-2?

Comment

Working...
                                        X