Player of the tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player of the tournament

Was there an official award for this? If not, I'd struggle to select one, on the basis that no-one stood out like Platini or van Basten in Euros past. Patrik Schick was a surprise top scorer, I thought Jorginho did an excellent job in his unsung role, I suppose after the semi and the final the player we'll remember is Donnarumma?

Donnarumma was announced as official player of the tournament in the ground, Bonucci as man of the match.

Comment

Yes, they gave it to Donnarumma.

Comment

Donnarumma was beaten on the inside by a good but saveable shot, and then had a nap for 2 hours - while the two old codgers in front of him were immense.

If we're picking a keeper, Sommer or Schmeichel.

Comment

Yeah it was an odd choice. I'd have given it to Spinazzola or Chiesa. I suppose neither of them played a full tournament.

Comment

Take it up with the jury

UEFA's Technical Observers

Packie Bonner, Esteban Cambiasso, Fabio Capello, Cosmin Contra, Corinne Diacre, Jean-François Domergue, Dušan Fitzel, Steffen Freund, Frans Hoek, Aitor Karanka, Robbie Keane, Ginés Meléndez, David Moyes, Mixu Paatelainen, Peter Rudbæk, Willi Ruttensteiner

Comment

The individual award will always be for someone who performs in the climactic couple of games so Donnarumma's two shootouts won it for him.

The team of the tournament should be more interesting and reflect what happened across the month a bit better, Ramsey was in the 2016 one despite not playing beyond the quarter-final due to suspension.

Spinazzola will probably be edged out by Shaw in that though.

Comment

It ought to be one of the Italy centre backs or England wing backs; I'd personally have no argument with Bonucci, Chiellini, Walker or Shaw, who were all immense.

Comment

Chiesa, Bonucci or Sterling (for the work he did getting England through the tourney rather than a nondescript final)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Take it up with the jury
                    An interesting bunch. Ireland did well to get two members on the jury, to England's 0.

Comment

Bonucci, Chiellini, Sterling and Mæhle are the names that spring to mind for me.

Comment

I wonder if the penalty Sterling "won" to get England to the final put off a lot of the judges?

Also, there were also periods last night and most games I saw England play where once opponents realised that you have to get your starting position right against him (the amount of times he is left unmarked from throw ins or long balls is ridiculous - though he has to get credit on that for the intelligent positions he takes up) you can nullify a lot of his pace advantage and accompanying threat.

Comment

Tournament Best XI (personal choice, not Uefa's): Goalkeeper: Kasper Schmeichel (Denmark). Defence: Denzel Dumfries (Netherlands), Giergio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci (both Italy), Luke Shaw (England) Midfield: Pierre-Emile Hjöjberg and Mikkel Damsgaard (both Denmark), Pedri (Spain), Jorginho (Italy). Attack: Federico Chiesa (Italy), Raheem Sterling (England).

Comment

Giving it to a Denmark player would make sense in the wider context. They should definitely have at least a couple in the XI.

On the XI overall, I'd have no problem with 4 Italians, 3-4 English*, 2-3 Danes.

*Walker, Shaw, Sterling, Kane/Dolberg/Chiesa?

imp's XI would be fine. Walker for Dumfries perhaps.
                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2021, 10:39.

Comment

Whilst Donnarumma is not necessarily a consensus choice, I'm pleased to see the award go to a defender or 'keeper for once. I'm still irked by FIFA giving the 2006 player-of-the-tournament award to Zinedine Zidane, who had precisely one good game in the entire event (which happened to be the Semi) but was a famous midfielder/attacker, rather than Fabio Cannavaro, who had put on some of the greatest individual defensive displays in the history of the world ever in that event.

Comment

Robbie Keane? Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                  Whilst Donnarumma is not necessarily a consensus choice, I'm pleased to see the award go to a defender or 'keeper for once. I'm still irked by FIFA giving the 2006 player-of-the-tournament award to Zinedine Zidane, who had precisely one good game in the entire event (which happened to be the Semi) but was a famous midfielder/attacker, rather than Fabio Cannavaro, who had put on some of the greatest individual defensive displays in the history of the world ever in that event.
                                  My false memory is that Cannavaro did get that award, but the internet is proving me wrong - a player red-carded for an act of naked violence in the tournament's showpiece game got it instead. Good old Fifa. And "most entertaining team" was Portugal, involved in one of the most disgraceful games in World Cup history. You just can't make Fifa up.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                    Zidane absolutely bossed Brazil off the park in the QF, and was very good in the second round match against Spain.

His performance against Brazil is up there with Cannavaro against Germany for my no. 1 best ever performance by a single player at a World Cup.
                                    Last edited by anton pulisov; 12-07-2021, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

My false memory is that Cannavaro did get that award, but the internet is proving me wrong - a player red-carded for an act of naked violence in the tournament's showpiece game got it instead. Good old Fifa. And "most entertaining team" was Portugal, involved in one of the most disgraceful games in World Cup history. You just can't make Fifa up.
                                      It was awarded before the final, which is clearly absurd.

Comment

Jesus. And looking at the results again, most entertaining Portugal - as well as being co-instigators in that disgrace of a match against the Netherlands - scored once in three knockout round games.

Comment

Cannavaro did get the Ballon d'Or in 2006, still the last defender to win it (only van Dijk and Buffon, who came second to Cannavaro have even been top 3).

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Zidane absolutely bossed Brazil off the park in the QF, and was very good in the second round match against Spain.
                                            Yeah, I was at that game and it was a Zidane & Viera masterclass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              Robbie Keane? Jesus.
                                              I'm fairly sure he isn't.

Comment

Ah, was it the QF where Zidane played to his potential? OK, that then. It was still a clearly unfair choice and biased choice. But maybe not as bad as Portugal as the most entertaining team. Though, per the NHL, some people seem to enjoy their sport more if sheer brutality overtakes the actual gameplay.

Comment

UEFA Team of the Tournament

Donnarumma

Walker
                                                  Bonucci
                                                  Maguire
                                                  Spinazzola

Jorginho
                                                  Hojbjerg
                                                  Pedri

Chiesa
                                                  Lukaku