No announcement yet.

Off field antics tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason I have seen is that control of Wembley Way has been ceded to the real estate developer and that they would not countenance any security that cut into the volume of foot traffic.

Which sounds absolutely on brand for the current government.

Comment

We chatted about that on one of our OTF zoom calls last summer. I’d been to wembley before, but did not recognize the area from the scenes I saw during the final. Incredibly built up.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The reason I have seen is that control of Wembley Way has been ceded to the real estate developer
        You'll catch it when Ray de Galles wakes up

Comment

Olympic Way isn't the fundamental problem in terms of security, even if it was vile to walk down prior to England games in the tournament. It's still broad enough to place lines of stewards and/or police along to stop/filter the crowds, the problem is that nobody bothered.

Where the escalation of buildings really is a problem is immediately around the ground where retail and office developments come right up to it's footprint. That means there is no space to effectively put in place kind of multiple cordons that are needed for security (and, in this case, Covid checks) around a game of this magnitude.

Comment

I presume that control.of.securoty in that area was also ceded to the same.developer

Comment

Don’t worry, there is a happy ending ;

https://twitter.com/netflixuk/status/1778060398786171075?s=46&t=YPTuyXx_pzpV4Wjm6pdF-Q

Comment

Never change, Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  The reason I have seen is that control of Wembley Way has been ceded to the real estate developer and that they would not countenance any security that cut into the volume of foot traffic.

Which sounds absolutely on brand for the current government.

<Olympic Way Klaxon>

Comment

Has anyone seen the Netflix documentary? Is it a serious analysis or just wallowing in the violent footage with voiceovers (or falling halfway between the two)?

Comment

I've just watched it and it leans towards the latter. Does a reasonable job of showing the scale of it, which wasn't completely apparent from the news coverage at the time, but a lot of the stuff early in the day is shown as japes. The story of one guy who bunked in comes across too much as a noble quest ending in a personal victory, rather than something which contributed to a collective threat to lives.

It did expose some organisational fuck ups, such as have a very basic police presence up to 3pm on the day of the game.

Comment

It barely touched on the failures of planning and organisation or the layout of the stadium and surroundings

Looking at the events on the day (and what happened at the Stade de France in 2022) it feels like we're heading for loss of life again at one of these big games

Comment

Was there a contribution by the jingoistic tabloids to the pre-match hysteria, as there had been in 1996?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            Was there a contribution by the jingoistic tabloids to the pre-match hysteria, as there had been in 1996?
                            Not really, how many people under the age of 35 actually read a newspaper these days? In 1996 The Sun had a distribution of 4.7 million - now it's closer to 1 million. The cultural impact of newspapers like the Sun today is massively reduced from 30 years ago

Comment

Working...
                            X