Kick off times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick off times

Has there been any discussion about the kick off times? Given that the Euro's audience is primarily European why is the prime time kick off 9pm in central Europe and even later the further east you go, 11pm in Baku.

Normal time, I would have said. Main TV audience in W. Europe.

Comment

It's the same time as Champions League.

Comment

Also odd it's on a Sunday. Why not Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          It's the same time as Champions League.
          In this part of Europe that feels late too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Normal time, I would have said. Main TV audience in W. Europe.
            Hmmm. That feels a little... off

Richest TV audience more like.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Yeah, sponsors and advertisers are usually the biggest influence with regards to kick off times.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                Also odd it's on a Sunday. Why not Saturday?
                This this this. The CL final change to Saturday from Wednesday had kids not getting up for school next day high on Platinis reason list. I can only assume it’s for player rest reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

True

Comment

Of the 16 finals played (including tonight's), 11 have been played on Sunday. There have been two Saturday finals, in 1968 (replayed on the Monday) and 1988, and two Friday finals, in 1960 and 1992. The only final not played at the weekend was in 1984, on a Wednesday.

There have been two finals kicking off in the afternoon (1972 and 1988), one that started in the early evening (1964) and the remaining 13 being evening kickoffs.

1960 - Friday 10th June, 20:30
                    1964 - Sunday 21st June, 17:30
                    1968 - Saturday 8th June, 21:15 (20:15) - replay Monday 10th June, 21:15 (20:15)
                    1972 - Sunday 18th June, 16:00 (15:00)
                    1976 - Sunday 20th June, 20:15 (19:15)
                    1980 - Sunday 22nd June, 20:30 (19:30)
                    1984 - Wednesday 27th June, 20:00 (19:00)
                    1988 - Saturday 25th June, 15:30 (14:30)
                    1992 - Friday 26th June, 20:15 (19:15)
                    1996 - Sunday 30th June, 19:00
                    2000 - Sunday 2nd July, 20:00 (19:00)
                    2004 - Sunday 4th July, 19:00
                    2008 - Sunday 29th June, 20:45 (19:45)
                    2012 - Sunday 1st July, 21:45 (19:45)
                    2016 - Sunday 10th July, 21:00 (20:00)
                    2021 - Sunday 11th July, 20:00

(UK kickoff time shown in brackets where different)

Comment

So the last two finals have been later than all the previous 11, and the latest since there was any real expectation that travelling supporters might be involved like they are for proper tournaments nowadays. I wonder why the creep to later times, especially now UEFA has been courting markets to the east? Do Russians prefer to watch football after midnight?

Comment

9pm is prime time in France, not sure about the rest of Western Europe (I'd imagine it's earlier further north)

Comment

I like a 9.30 pm kick off. Enough time to digest one's dinner before watching.

Comment

The switch to Sunday in 1996 coincided with the expansion to 16 teams, maybe to match World Cups. The expansion to 24 teams caused the final to be moved back a week (to the 2nd Sunday in July). I'm not sure why a Friday was preferred in 1992: maybe due to the hosts' traditions? Having a Wednesday final in 1984 meant that the great semi-final (France v Portugal) was on the Saturday.

An odd feature of World Cups and Euros in the late 70s and up to 1984 was playing the afternoon group games at 17:15 CET, perhaps because 17:00 was seen as a news slot?

Comment

3pm on a Sunday afternoon feels very reasonable. It’s nice - although also a bit weird - that they’ve decided to cater for early-to-bedders on the US East Coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                I like a 9.30 pm kick off. Enough time to digest one's dinner before watching.
                                From my dim recollection of Spanish dining habits you're not really giving much (any) digesting time there.

Comment

Almost wilfully inconvenient as well in London, trains finish earlier on a Sunday - last train back to Colchester for example leaves Liverpool Street at 00:02 so extra time and penalties would probably rule out getting on that
                                  Last edited by colchestersid; 11-07-2021, 17:01.

Comment

I expect they'd hold the train.

Comment

You've been gone a while, eh?

The mere fact that one is dealing with at least half a dozen operating companies complicates that, even if there was the will to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

From my dim recollection of Spanish dining habits you're not really giving much (any) digesting time there.
                                        I don't usually have much for dinner but point taken!

Comment

Noon here on the Left Coast is fine. Early enough not to spoil dinner whatever the result.

Comment

Working...
                                          X