The Final - Italy v England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Final - Italy v England

Thought a boring, neutral title might be best for this one. And no, it's not too early, because it's the only match left and we're all thinking about it already. Or in some cases, trying not to.

I can't help thinking that England have the advantage in a number of areas. In a low-chance tight game, they have the more clinical centre forward. In a high tempo game, they seem to have exceptional fitness. I was thinking that perhaps the central triangle of Phillips, Mount and Rice looks a little lightweight - but Henderson is always there if that is a worry for Southgate.

Italy are masters of game management though. England still haven't conceded from open play, but then they've not faced anyone in Insigne's * class yet. If he finds a way through, or England concede through a set piece, Italy will be a much tougher nut to crack.

And whether we go OTF Vietnam or not, this place still rules.

* Edit - or Chiesa!
    Last edited by Kevin S; 08-07-2021, 08:06.

England have the advantage on centre forwards, but Italy do on goalkeepers.

Comment

You'll have a job getting a pizza in London on Sunday night.

Comment

Anthems: Italy win 12-0
        Kit: not their greatest but still a 2-0
        Keeper: 2-1
        Defence: England shade it, with age/mobility of Italy's centre backs a worry 1-2
        Organisation, team shape: 2-2
        Strikers: 1-3
        Midfield creativity: 2-1
        Luck/rub of the green: England winning this, as usual
        Home advantage: that too
        Game management and the dark arts may be required and Italy should win that​​​

Comment

0-0, penalty kicks aet. Some poor bastard will miss and will spend the rest of their life with it tagged on to every sentence said or written about them.

Comment

So that looks comfortable for Italy. I won’t believe anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
              0-0, penalty kicks aet. Some poor bastard will miss and will spend the rest of their life with it tagged on to every sentence said or written about them.
              As the "poor bastard" more often than not seems to be least deserving (Zico, Waddle, Baggio, Beckham, van Basten, Shevchenko) it's going to be Marcus Rashford, isn't it?

Comment

Someone said on another thread that no team has ever won 2 penalty shoot outs at the same Euros.

If England won a penalty shoot out to win a tournament the then they would be the most unEngland England team ever to England. It would be the capstone to the transformation of the team under Southgate.

Comment

Italy are my longstanding other team, so I'm comfortable with England getting beaten by them. I usually stand up and try and join in with the singing of the glorious Italian anthem, so I'm not looking forward to it getting drowned out with boos.

After the prolonged critical appreciaition of his "talent" this tournament by the whole of OTF, it's written in the stars that Ciro Immobile will get the only goal.

Comment

I'd love Southgate to make his team talk: "Forget everything else, you kids just run past the old buggers".

England losing while regretting they didn't really go for it is the most likely outcome, unfortunately. I'd be fine with them losing a ding-dong classic, but not expecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

After the prolonged critical appreciaition of his "talent" this tournament by the whole of OTF, it's written in the stars that Ciro Immobile will get the only goal.
                      It will bounce in off his arse when Harry Maguire shanks a clearance after a Pickford patented fluffdrop, and Immobile will run the length of the fucking pitch before a 20 yard kneeslide.

Comment

England will win 2-0, Chiellini will get a red card and Brighton will sign Belloti.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          You'll have a job getting a pizza in London on Sunday night.
                          Did someone say Pizza?

https://twitter.com/_samwhitehouse_/status/1412455937714032642?s=20

Comment

Not reached a final in 55 years - but England are winning this 'as usual'.

My invisible money's on Italy.

But, y' know, here's hoping.

Comment

Back in November 2014 I went to the New York to watch England play Italy in an under 19 international. England played really well and won 3-0, and Ben Chilwell is the only player from that match to be at the Euros (honourable nod to Dele Alli who might have been there had Mourinho not fucked him over). So as far as I'm concerned if an England team featuring Izzy fucking Brown can beat the Italians then it's nailed on it will be repeated on Sunday and the nation will parp and chant and sing and come home in some form and fireworks will be let off and nice Gareth will become Sir Gareth and the sun will come up on Monday morning regardless.

Or Italy win and some imbecile smashes the windows of a branch of Pizza Hut on a provincial retail park. Take your pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                Someone said on another thread that no team has ever won 2 penalty shoot outs at the same Euros.
                                Possibly me. We watched the Eng v Ukr game with the Rad5 commentary. The commentator was banging on about it all night much to the amusement of Dublin and Sutton.
                                It was actually a far better viewing experience than any Matterfacefest. They commentate over the official uefa feed not the bbc or itv altered version. I’d imagine it’s the feed that OTF exiles are viewing.

Comment

Confidence was high in Cumbria, even before last night's win.

Much to unpack there, not least trying to work out which country's or province's flag it is, because there aren't any blue stripes on the England one.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Much to unpack there, not least trying to work out which country's or province's flag it is, because there aren't any blue stripes on the England one.
                                    She even went to "Jinx Tattoo".

Like, how much do you want to piss off the fates? FFS

Comment

I wonder which players from the last England senior team to reach a major final will be part of the BBC/ITV studio panel? Alex Scott and Eni Aluko should be the favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Faroes

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          I'd love Southgate to make his team talk: "Forget everything else, you kids just run past the old buggers".
                                          "You kids just run in to the old buggers...and hit the deck" will surely be the directive, as it has been all tournament.

I'm well aware Italy will do exactly the same given the opportunity btw, though I suspect they won't have as many chances to.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                            I wonder which players from the last England senior team to reach a major final will be part of the BBC/ITV studio panel? Alex Scott and Eni Aluko should be the favourites.
                                            Martin Peters.
                                            The rest will be sitting in the Crowd (Hurst, Charlton et al) looking stiff and uncomfortable.

Just realised Peters died two years ago, forgot that.

Comment

Martin Peters will struggle to be in the studio, or anywhere else for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                Back in November 2014 I went to the New York to watch England play Italy in an under 19 international. England played really well and won 3-0, and Ben Chilwell is the only player from that match to be at the Euros (honourable nod to Dele Alli who might have been there had Mourinho not fucked him over).
                                                Do you know how many of the Italians are in the current squad, out of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Martin Peters.
                                                  The rest will be sitting in the Crowd (Hurst, Charlton et al) looking stiff and uncomfortable.

Just realised Peters died two years ago, forgot that.
                                                  Hurst and Hunt are the only two healthy enough to even get as far as the stands, as far as we know.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X