Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow Matterface custard

Comment

Turn them off. All of them. Almost everyone on here knows more about football than the wanking wallies employed to dribble verbiage throughout the match, whatever it is. They're always a subtraction to enjoyment rarely an addition. Turn them off.

Comment

I can't be the only one who listens to music while watching a game on telly?

All the stuff being talked on this thread is easily avoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
          the wanking wallies employed to dribble verbiage throughout the match
          Hey!

Comment

Me and a couple of friends once played a live Grateful Dead album whilst watching Match of the Day and on magic mushrooms. Improved the experience no end, although MotD seemed to go on longer than normal...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Hey!
              Present company excepted of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Yellow Matterface custard
                Dripping from a dead dog’s eye

Comment

Matterface has been commentating on TalkSport for well over a decade with Alvin Martin as his sidekick. Didn't realise he was on tv until this Euros

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                    Matterface has been commentating on TalkSport for well over a decade
                    Say no more. Just say no more. I can only imagine your pain. We're all here to help, just reach out.
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 09-07-2021, 05:50.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                      Me and a couple of friends once played a live Grateful Dead album whilst watching Match of the Day and on magic mushrooms. Improved the experience no end, although MotD seemed to go on longer than normal...
                      thought for a moment that said "Me and a couple of friends once played on a live Grateful Dead album whilst watching Match of the Day and on magic mushrooms"

Comment

Who is Matterface? Is he commentating this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_2GELMwfY

I might have heard this commentator on a few Youtube clips (first noticed on the above one). He is absolutely terrible.

Comment

No that's Peter Drury.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            It's sad that you needed to explain that. People are losing a sense of how such things are supposed to work that was once very widespread. One wonders if such "gifts" would now need to be accompanied by multilingual instructions, perhaps in the style of IKEA furniture.

Nef is essentially right about the headline. The implication is that England "cooked up" the result and that the whole thing is a bit of a mess.
                            Hahahaha. I was thinking much the same thing.

I think It was eoin hand, who while managing ireland, went to Bulgaria to watch France play the hosts in our world cup qualificatiin group, and as he was drifting off to sleep the door of his hotel burst open and in came the referee, held upright by two of the best looking women he'd ever seen. He found himself pondering if there was any point in him, or France for that matter turning up for the match the next day.

Actually my parents went to bulgaria in 1975 (That stampcertainly raised eyebrows in JFK when they went to the USA in 76 to visit my grandaunt) and aside from the uncomfortably large number of striking young women in the bar areas of the tourist hotels, the second most bizarre thing was the number of half blind old women who came up to my heavily bearded father and tried to kiss his ring, under the impression that he was some sort of orthodox cleric. Italians started whistling the Internazionale and shouting Karl Marx when they saw him. (I witnessed this) but In Ireland, Children thought he was Santy. Beards mean different things to different people I suppose.
                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 08-07-2021, 23:56.

Comment

A former colleague of mine was studying at an East German university in the 1980s and landed a gig as interpreter for an English referee who was there to officiate a European tie. My colleague asked him if there were any particular football terms he'd like to learn before the match, or if he had any other pressing linguistic or translation-related needs. "No," came the reply. "Just tell me where the brothel is." And he wasn't joking.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

That there is garbage. I have watched a fair amount of games, always on TV, and this implementation and approach is remarkably less disruptive than last year in the Premier League.

perhaps it is the best referees in Europe each game. but it is remarkably better.

Though it is still fucking horseshit garbage compounded subjective decision bollocks.
                                There's the same amount of it, more or less, it takes just as long, they just don't show it to you. leaving you with situations where you spend ages looking at highlights videos of france vs portugal trying to figure out if karim benzema is actually offside or not, until you realise that the guy at the bottom of the screen is keeping him onside with his arse. It seems that a lot of people don't want transparency, or knowledge of what is going on. What they actually want is arbitrary judgement, so they have the outlet of complaining about it being unfair if it doesn't work out their way.

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                                Exactly. You weren't sure. We aren't supposed to be awarding penalties without certainty. Penalties aren't awarded on the basis of probability, or in this case possibility. If they are then that is a mistake. If a replay does not show clear contact then the referee should be given the chance to review his own decision, with an open mind and without feeling compelled to either change it or double down. When a ref awards a penalty the game stops anyway, so the usual auto-reply of 'oh but the flow of the game' doesn't apply.
                                The ref is sure. That's why he awarded the penalty. The question for var is not "Are you sure this is a penalty/" It's "Are you sure that the ref got it wrong?" This video with Neil Swarbrick explains it quite well. The point of VAR is that the referee is still in charge, and making subjective decisions. VAR is checking if he's clearly wrong. The last bit where it talks about inconsistencies is perhaps the most important bit to bear in mind

Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 09-07-2021, 08:40.

Comment

The ref is sure, but not necessarily right. Now I know that VAR isn't used to ask the ref if he's sure, but my point is that it should be, given that the ref has stopped the game anyway.

Comment

This. Or it's a pointless waste of time.

Comment

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1413486114250309634

Charming people. Colleague of mine who was at Wembley said that she knew of an England fan who joined the Danish supporters assoc for £11 and got allocated a ticket in the Denmark end.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                        https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1413486114250309634

Charming people. Colleague of mine who was at Wembley said that she knew of an England fan who joined the Danish supporters assoc for £11 and got allocated a ticket in the Denmark end.
                                        You can see several England fans in the Guardian's image there - above the Guardian masthead there's a group of 4 or 5, and another to the left with his sweater over his shoulders. Most sensibly went for a red shirt to blend in.

Comment

I was sitting above the Danish end and you could see a significant amount of English in there celebrating when they scored. People in my ticket-hunting group had been trying to get tickets there (via the same route RobW mentions) which I tried to dissuade them from doing and I think people might have tried the same for Sunday.

Comment

I think It was eoin hand, who while managing ireland, went to Bulgaria to watch France play the hosts in our world cup qualificatiin group, and as he was drifting off to sleep the door of his hotel burst open and in came the referee, held upright by two of the best looking women he'd ever seen. He found himself pondering if there was any point in him, or France for that matter turning up for the match the next day.
                                            But the result was a 2-2 draw (manager was Johnny Giles). https://www.11v11.com/matches/bulgar...r-1976-233970/
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-07-2021, 14:53.

Comment

Perhaps, for the sake of Italians living in England (and people who could be confused as being Italians), I should be hoping that England win.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

But the result was a 2-2 draw (manager was Johnny Giles). https://www.11v11.com/matches/bulgar...r-1976-233970/

Only beacuse they missed the late penno he gifted them when the score was 2-2.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                                  Perhaps, for the sake of Italians living in England (and people who could be confused as being Italians), I should be hoping that England win.
                                                  Doesn’t seem to make a difference. There appears to be a large section of England fans who will be violent regardless of win or lose

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Only beacuse they missed the late penno he gifted them when the score was 2-2.
                                                    Ah! Bulgaria's 2nd goal is also blatantly offside.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X