Two Countries, One Cnut. ENG-DEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    What's the significance of "Zuppa Inglese" in this context? I know it literally means "English soup" and actually means "trifle", but is there an idiomatic Italian understanding that means this headline makes sense? Or is it just a phrase that includes the words "inglese"?
    I think "Zuppa" can be " thing, stuff," so it could be translated as "An English concoction"

but this is a job for ursus arctos

Comment

England charged by EUFA over laser incident.

Uefa charges England after a laser pointer was directed at Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel during Wednesday's Euro 2020 semi-final.

Comment

Come on UEFA.

Meaningful fine, and close Wembley for a couple of matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57763001

England face charge over laser incident, and a "disturbance" during the national anthems

Comment

I think there has to be some sort of meaningful punishment for the laser pointer thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
            England did it a lot at the Russia world cup to good effect, most obviously against Panama. Colombia were freaked out by it as well, regarded it as straight up cheating
            I got the impression that refs had wised up to this and had started awarded the free-kicks to the defending team but last night's ref seemed to be living in a former decade.

It's also inconsistent: in the penalty area the defending team has always received the benefit.

Comment

Etienne Immediate elimination? Scotland reinstated to contest final as the only to team to have held England, and on their own turf as well.

Comment

I think we'd want to save Scotland from the humiliation that Italy would unleash on them.

More seriously, it's very difficult to think of proportionate punishments for individual fan actions. Mass fan misbehaviour obviously can be dealt with by closed door matches etc. But if they are able to identify the culprit a lengthy ban would be merited.

Comment

https://twitter.com/almostconverge/status/1413100765309292551

Comment

If the person wielding the laser is identified, then they could be prosecuted and get a criminal record. It wouldn't be unfeasible for them to be banned from football matches.

Comment

Happened to Igor Akinfeev in the Brazil world cup, probably caused Russia to concede the equaliser to Algeria that knocked them out. Nothing came of that.

Comment

Well, it's a take.

https://twitter.com/sgevans/status/1413097694155976709?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                          England charged by EUFA over laser incident.

There was a moment during the second half, I think, when a Danish player looked at the crowd, then spoke to the ref who in turn trotted over to speak to the fourth official. At the time my hunch was that some tosser was using a laser pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                            Hmm. Would have been easier for the ref to give the Kane penalty if that was the case. Or disallow the Danish goal for encroachment.

Comment

Conspiracy theories are too easy, intellectually lazy and always ignore their obvious flaws but I was wondering about the politics of warding off UEFA's threats to move the final if they couldn't have their big junket in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

There was a moment during the second half, I think, when a Danish player looked at the crowd, then spoke to the ref who in turn trotted over to speak to the fourth official. At the time my hunch was that some tosser was using a laser pen.
                                This was also my hunch. They showed the fourth official talking to some UEFA suit. The fourth official made a kind of "pen" hand gesture, like when asking for the bill, but it looked more like a torch. I then guessed he meant "laser pen".

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

This was also my hunch. They showed the fourth official talking to some UEFA suit. The fourth official made a kind of "pen" hand gesture, like when asking for the bill, but it looked more like a torch. I then guessed he meant "laser pen".
                                  Maybe he was checking the funds had been transferred after the dodgy penalty.

Things have moved on from the old days where the referee would find a naked woman and a mink coat in his hotel room upon arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Conspiracy theories are too easy, intellectually lazy and always ignore their obvious flaws but I was wondering about the politics of warding off UEFA's threats to move the final if they couldn't have their big junket in London.
                                    You're going to have to show your workings on that one.

Comment

That would be an awfully lot more credible if Johnson actually had a "role in stopping the Super League'.

As it is, there seems to be evidence he gave a positive response to it in an advance meeting with Ed Woodward but after the reaction to it was clearly toxic he did exactly the same as he often does, in Heseltine's words ;

“He works it out, he decides which way the wind is blowing, and that wonderful phrase about a politician – a man who waits to see the way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says, ‘Follow me’.”

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Things have moved on from the old days where the referee would find a naked woman and a mink coat in his hotel room upon arrival.
                                        Surely the naked woman would just put on the mink coat?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Surely the naked woman would just put on the mink coat?
                                          The Mink coat is for the wife, might cause issues if it came with the scent of another woman.

Comment

It's sad that you needed to explain that. People are losing a sense of how such things are supposed to work that was once very widespread. One wonders if such "gifts" would now need to be accompanied by multilingual instructions, perhaps in the style of IKEA furniture.

Nef is essentially right about the headline. The implication is that England "cooked up" the result and that the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                              Yeah, this. Although I'm lucky that I'm not living in a city or even a big town so most of the noise and celebration is geographically distant from me too.

I'm in a team at work that generally has no interest in football at all, several of them don't even have a team that they would nominally claim to support, but yesterday they were all chatting excitedly about watching the game in the evening. I suppose it's nice that people get caught up in it and excited at the prospect but the inverse snob part of me is also thinking "Why don't you go down and support your local club once in a while?"
                                              This I me I'm afraid. I occasionally watch Euros or world cup matches (I watched the first half of the England-Denmark match in the gym and managed to miss England's first goal while I was switching machines, caught the end of the match after my walk home) and otherwise have very little interest in football. I do sometimes watch my daughter and my niece play in their hyper local teams, and got tickets for a couple of games of Paralympic Goalball at the 2012 Paralympics. But I've never been to a football stadium otherwise and have no real desire to go to one.

Comment

Well, I s'pose they're well-versed in having to sniff out a football scandal or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Maybe he was checking the funds had been transferred after the dodgy penalty.

I think Brussels hotels kept a supply of mink coats in the basement just for this.

Comment

So I've just heard this Matterface guy that you all hate so much for the first time, they played his call of Kane's penalty on the Second Captains. Yeah, he's awful. Say what you will about America and our dumbed down media coverage, we never get such jingoistic homer announcing like yelling "Yes! Yes! Yes!" like he did after Kane scored. Certainly not in soccer, since we always are given British announcers during the World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X