Two Countries, One Cnut. ENG-DEN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Countries, One Cnut. ENG-DEN

A shared heritage. The Danes ask for geld, and England gives it to them...

Oh, very good.

Comment

You've saved me from my tortured "Ragnor's Sons are threatening Saxon defences again" - and a kicking from EIM - so thanks

Comment

And like Canute, the Danes are just there to demonstrate that the inexorable tide of English success can't be turned. Nobody has the magical power to stop it, not matter their position or title.

England's triumph over adversity, the small team fighting back to success after decades without will have everybody enthralled and cheering them on. Just like Manchester United in 1993, or Liverpool in 2020, or the Red Sox in 2004, the underfunded minnow will finally achieve the destiny that the whole world is hoping for.

Come on England! Win this one for Prince William, Mumford and Sons, John Terry, Jim Davidson and all the other mighty oaks of this great land that have been waiting so long.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          And like Canute, the Danes are just there to demonstrate that the inexorable tide of English success can't be turned. Nobody has the magical power to stop it, not matter their position or title.

England's triumph over adversity, the small team fighting back to success after decades without will have everybody enthralled and cheering them on. Just like Manchester United in 1993, or Liverpool in 2020, or the Red Sox in 2004, the underfunded minnow will finally achieve the destiny that the whole world is hoping for.

Come on England! Win this one for Prince William, Mumford and Sons, John Terry, Jim Davidson and all the other mighty oaks of this great land that have been waiting so long.
          Calm down, it's only the semi final

Comment

Luis Enrique is being played by Willem Dafoe

Oops, wrong thread
            Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 06-07-2021, 22:25.

Comment

For the first time since the Portugal game in 2006 I'm actually nervous about an England game.

After that Portugal game I lost the ability to care so much and the lack of England at the 08 Euros and dreadful performances up to, and including, 2016 meant I just didn't care at all.

2018 was a lovely ride, but also extremely unexpected, so the Croatia game didn't feel such a bad thing because we'd achieved far more than expected.

Now though it's completely different. England look good, they look solid, they look confident and they look comfortable. Like following Spurs, you're just waiting for the inevitable bottling. You can feel people talking about the final on Sunday with the caveat, that they don't really believe, that we've got to get past Denmark first.

I have belief that the players' minds aren't on Sunday and that they will concentrate on tonight and tonight alone, but there's been oh so much fate tempting online that I'm bracing myself to be really upset about an England loss in a very, very long time.

Comment

The most famous play by the most-famous-English-person-who-ever-lived is about Denmark. I am disappointed that this thread makes no reference to this. I'm trusting it's an integral part of the Sun's front page headline today

To be in the final, or not to be, that is the question.

What a piece of work is Damsgaard Sterling! How noble in
                reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving
                how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel!
                in apprehension how like a god!

Comment

Alas poor fordPick if we lose thanks to a clanger?

Comment

Kasper Schmeichel points out the bleeding obvious
                    https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/1412501016118022144

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      For the first time since the Portugal game in 2006 I'm actually nervous about an England game.

After that Portugal game I lost the ability to care so much and the lack of England at the 08 Euros and dreadful performances up to, and including, 2016 meant I just didn't care at all.

2018 was a lovely ride, but also extremely unexpected, so the Croatia game didn't feel such a bad thing because we'd achieved far more than expected.

Now though it's completely different. England look good, they look solid, they look confident and they look comfortable. Like following Spurs, you're just waiting for the inevitable bottling. You can feel people talking about the final on Sunday with the caveat, that they don't really believe, that we've got to get past Denmark first.

I have belief that the players' minds aren't on Sunday and that they will concentrate on tonight and tonight alone, but there's been oh so much fate tempting online that I'm bracing myself to be really upset about an England loss in a very, very long time.
                      Good post.

Supporting England has always been like this. One or two occasional bright spots amongst all the underachievement. My natural pessimism where England are concerned meant I wasn't sure we'd even get out of the group this time, so like 2018 this has been a lovely surprise.

The Beeb showed lots of very confident Danes last night, so theres fate tempting on both sides.

We 'could' beat Denmark but then we could have beaten Croatia in 2018. However, I'm absolutely positive that we can't beat this Italian side, so beaten semi finalists or beaten finalists lie ahead. I'll take that.

Comment

On a serious bent, the Danes play 4-3-3. We know they play 4-3-3. They've played 4-3-3 since they were in kindergarten. Southgate knows they play 4-3-3. So what is the managerial experts' view on how to line England up tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          The most famous play by the most-famous-English-person-who-ever-lived is about Denmark. I am disappointed that this thread makes no reference to this. I'm trusting it's an integral part of the Sun's front page headline today

To be in the final, or not to be, that is the question.

What a piece of work is Damsgaard Sterling! How noble in
                          reason, how infinite in faculty! In form and moving
                          how express and admirable! In action how like an Angel!
                          in apprehension how like a god!
                          The Danish training camp is even in Elsinore.

Comment

Denmark have sold all of the 8000 tickets they were allocated to Danes residing in Britain. There are apparently 30000 Danes living in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                              Denmark have sold all of the 8000 tickets they were allocated to Danes residing in Britain. There are apparently 30000 Danes living in the UK.
                              EIM's not taken his Denmark shirt off since the opening game.

Comment

Wasn't Middlesex subject to DaneLaw back in the day.

Just hoping.......

Comment

Thread title-wise I would have gone for Daniel in the Three Lions Den*. I almost did it too, but thought I would wait and see. I've started one match thread this tournament and that's enough.

* or DEN

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    On a serious bent, the Danes play 4-3-3. We know they play 4-3-3. They've played 4-3-3 since they were in kindergarten. Southgate knows they play 4-3-3. So what is the managerial experts' view on how to line England up tonight?
                                    I think he will go 4-2-3-1 with Rice and Phillips anchoring the midfield, Sancho, Sterling and one other in forward midfield and Kane up front.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

EIM's not taken his Denmark shirt off since the opening game.
                                      Apart from when I wore my Sweden away shirt.

Comment

Don't stress, gents:

Hamlet: "There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so."
                                        (Act 2, Scene 2)

Comment

The team is likely to be same.as Ukraine but with Saka for Sancho, Saka being a better and more willing defender.

The five (plus another) substitutions will be key again, Grealish to chase the game, Henderson and Bellingham to shore it up.

In 1996, Terry Vegetables, when allowed 3, didn't make a single substitution for the whole 120 minutes.

Comment

Is the ref going to be dishing out cards or will he be as ludicrously lenient as last night's?

Comment

I have a twist, Eriksen, like Hamlet before him fakes a heart attack (instead of madness) only to declare himself fit minutes before the game and scoring the winning goal with a free kick before suffering a real heart attack during the celebrations (but surviving).

Anyone wanna buy the script?

Comment

Given Denmark's perceived physical state (travel to Baku etc), I think Southgate will prioritise the clean sheet and feel that if the scores remain level and the match extends into extra time, the Danes would be the first to make a mistake.

On that basis, he goes with the back three and has Mount as either the wide attacker on the right or part of the midfield.

Comment

https://twitter.com/stfnjvnvc/status/1412537949477027844

Comment

Working...
                                                  X