Dual Roberto Duel: Belgium v Italy Quarter-Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Roberto Duel: Belgium v Italy Quarter-Final

A QF between coaches with the same first name. I think the key will be whether Belgium can get the ball up to Lukaku and support him with runners quickly enough to settle Italy's defence. If not, I think Italy can control the game and gradually wear them down.

surely more crucial is whether either De Bruyne or Hazard are available to pass it to him. ?

Comment

Now I like Stella, but I like pizza. I’m really torn on this one.

Comment

No need to be torn. Look at these guys. Even Belotti looks good.

Comment

They win on kit, too.
          Not to mention likely ability beat England

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            Now I like Stella, but I like pizza. I’m really torn on this one.
            Moretti > Stella

Comment

Montalbano > Poirot

Comment

Sampdoria played in Perth many moons ago. One of their less publicised outings (at their request) was a visit to a rehabilitation centre where a teenage fan was recovering after being made paraplegic in a 4WD rollover in dunes in Lancelin to Perth's north. All the players and the coach (Sven-Göran Eriksson) visited this young guy. Afterwards the captain, Roberto Mancini, asked the team liaison to arrange for the fan to be at the friendly they were playing with Perth Glory. He then took him out on the pitch and made him part of the occasion post-match. I hope Italy win v Belgium and indeed win the lot.

Comment

Although Italy had the group mostly settled by the time they played Wales, there was a dramatic shift in the quality of Italy's attack in that game. That problem persisted against Austria. For me, the common link was Verratti. He's a very skillful midfielder, but he's also very predictable (esp. because he will rarely shoot). I'd like to see Italy start with him on the bench. I did not participate in the prediction thread other than to say that Italy would beat France in the final. Obviously, that can't happy but I still see Italy winning it all. They need to be much, much better in this game, though, to get past an excellent Belgian side.

Comment

I was already in Belgium's corner, but the Italians dressing up for The Sound of Music has confirmed it.

Comment

I want Belgium to win. But unless you stack the cards, like "Chimay > Peroni" or "Boeuf flamande > That really rubbery octopus I had in Brindisi" Italy will win most of the culinary and cultural head-to-heads.

For example

A good Neapolitan pizza > literally everything ever produced in the entirety of northern Europe.
                      Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 02-07-2021, 02:05.

Comment

A creamy carbonara > Belgian frites

Comment

If it were me I'd drop Jorginho and put Verrati at the base of the midfield three and have Locatelli being a more dynamic, physical force next to Barella moving into the space vacated by Berardi (and where Di Lorenzo largely isn't, as he stays further back). When Verratti inevitably tires, you can bring on Jorginho. It won't happen, because Jorginho has a talismanic quality for this team and Locatelli coming on to terrorize people in the second half when Verratti has to come off is probably just about as good a plan anyway.

KDB's health is a much bigger question than that of Hazard, who hasn't been really effective in more than a year; my gut feeling is that even if he's fit to play, this game is Italy's to lose. Martinez's setup, as necessary as it might be for a team lacking in traditional fullbacks, really puts Alderweireld and Vertonghen on islands with the wingbacks getting caught upfield a ton, and I don't like their chances isolated up against Insigne and Berardi, especially with Spinnazola consistently getting in overlapping positions. Plus they've played three different players in the center of defense, and Martinez seemed to be trying to save Vermaelen for the knockouts. Witsel staying on the pitch/not getting hit with an early card and having to play cautious is going to be a huge part of protecting that backline. Italy, even if they're in the same sort of boat in terms of exposing their CBs when getting caught on the break, seem a bit more canny and have the additional advantage of players who are familiar with Lukaku (and Mertens, if he plays).

Comment

Me leaving the bookie £40 up > Bellevue Kriek

Comment

Marcel Broodthaers > Piero Manzoni

Comment

It feels like the team with the better defence will win this, and the evidence so far is that team will be Italy.

Comment

Seeing as football is mainly about calamity and disappointment: I’ve received both a speeding ticket and parking ticket in Italy versus my prescription sunglasses falling from the top of my head into the canal during a Bruges tour boat trip. It’s gotta be 2-1 to Italy.
                                  Though I love to see first time tournament winners.

Comment

A bit harsh to reduce Belgian beer to the urine-tasting anti-beer that is Stella Artois.

Comment

In Bruges > The Italian Job

But I still expect Italy to win.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        A bit harsh to reduce Belgian beer to the urine-tasting anti-beer that is Stella Artois.
                                        Indeed. One of the very few Belgian beers that isn't better than anything Italy can produce. Anyroad, at least this thread has persuaded me to open a bottle of gueuze when the game's on.

Comment

I'd like to see Belgium play to their potential, but this is Martinez ffs so they won't.

Comment

Martinez has one thing going for him: he is not Marc Wilmots.

Comment

Italy have looked terrific so far and Belgium have passed their peak, IMHO. Not sure where that leaves both sides in a face-off though.

Really looking forward to this game.

Comment

I thought Austria played Italy really well in the R16 game.

From our vantage point in the lower tier they appeared to swarm around them in both defence and attack. It was more than a press and wasn't parking the bus but was a very high-energy disciplined performance and no surprise they couldn't keep it up in extra time.

Then chasing the game after going behind they really caused problems for the Italian defence by bringing on the towering duo of Kalajdzic and Gregoritsch.

I don't think Belgium will do any of the above and may not need to, especially if KdB is fit (is he?), but it showed Italy can be put under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                  Montalbano > Poirot
                                                  Maigret>Montalbano>Poirot

but I still want Italy to win- tricolore salad already plated up, Brian

Comment

Working...
                                                  X