There's a good tradition of Löw and 'gate - ENG - GER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a good tradition of Löw and 'gate - ENG - GER

Oh come on, that's not that bad at short notice. And it doesn't mention the war and hopefully has given everyone a happy little earworm.

England to win a scrappy game 2-1 with two goals that G-Man will go to his grave declaring should have been disallowed.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-06-2021, 20:05.

I said elsewhere pre-tournament, and possibly on here, that I thought England had a decent chance in it because (as well as their home advantage) I didn't think there were any of the traditional "big teams" that were looking that good.

The knockout stages so far have pretty much borne that out, with the possible exception of Italy, but nobody is looking anything like the complete package at the moment.

Comment

Some of these titles, I don’t know…

(Smiley thing.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        Some of these titles, I don’t know…

(Smiley thing.)
        can we have footnotes?

Comment

If we mark group performances out of 3, Germany get 1 v France, 3 v Portugal and 1 v Hungary. England get a 2, 1 and 2. So, evenly matched at 5 points.

I can see Kroos and Gundogan gradually gaining ascendancy in midfield, particularly if he sticks with the inexperience of Rice and Phillips rather than Henderson's big game nous.

2-1 Germany in a game which will not gain prominence in the tournament highlights reel.

Comment

I don't think the commentary team will cope if it goes to penalties.

Comment

I think a 1-0 England win with Sterling scoring would be nice.

Comment

0-0 england on pens.

also start heading for all sorts of low scoring records

Comment

No score prediction from me, for reasons of competence and jinx-fear, or even a vague guess as to the sort of game we'll see.

What I'd like to see from England is the sort of modest hope that has been the limit of my ambitions for decades now: no 'keeper errors, a fairly solid defence, a moderately mobile and creative midfield that pass and run with the ball a bit and a reasonably potent attack that shoots occasionally and usually in the general direction of the opposition goal.

Surely that's not too much to hope for?

Anything more than that would be a huge bonus.

Comment

I'll predict a similar pattern and outcome to the World Cup semi final against Croatia - England score early, relax too much and spurn chances to extend the lead, get gradually outplayed, their confidence draining like an emptying bath, concede second half equaliser and then concede the winner late in normal time, or in extra time - but not without a golden chance to win it / equalise, for inclusion in the closing montage as an agonising moment (hitting the "woodwork" most likely). Or something.

Comment

Yeah, I absolutely hope to be surprised, but I can't see sufficient ambition or mental strength here for an England triumph.

Regardless of their current merits as a squad, Germany generally know how to cope with these knockout games.

Comment

Do we know why Southgate is not picking Sancho? Is he more likely to pick him tonight, given his Bundesliga experience, or less?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Do we know why Southgate is not picking Sancho? Is he more likely to pick him tonight, given his Bundesliga experience, or less?

No-one seems to be sure. Perhaps he doesn't track back enough for Southgate or isn't training well, or something. Could even be carrying a knock, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                            I'll predict a similar pattern and outcome to the World Cup semi final against Croatia - England score early, relax too much and spurn chances to extend the lead, get gradually outplayed, their confidence draining like an emptying bath, concede second half equaliser and then concede the winner late in normal time, or in extra time - but not without a golden chance to win it / equalise, for inclusion in the closing montage as an agonising moment (hitting the "woodwork" most likely). Or something.
                            It's like you've tapped into my nightmares or something...

Comment

Unfortunately, tonight is our regular football game on Coram's Fields, and rather than watch the game in the office on iPlayer by myself, i'm being dragged to local pub, whilst I sit like a full kit wanker, downing J20s because I refuse to drink alcohol before playing. I doubt I can stop my teammates from drinking, and as I grow older I find myself less inclined to watch football in pubs, England games especially. On the plus side, i'll likely not be able to hear the England band play the them to The Great Escape on a loop for 90 + minutes, but I fear that there will be numbskulls present singing 'No Surrender' and '10 German Bombers'.

Comment

Twenty-five years ago I was doing exactly that (playing football on Coram's Fields) while France were playing the Czechs in the semi-finals of Euro 96, before we all squeezed into some pub in Bloomsbury to watch the England - Germany game. I remember that day more clearly than where I've just put my car keys.

Comment

It all comes down to which Germany turns up: the one v Portugal or the one in WC18 and v Hungary. They weren't that bad against France given the French strengths were all matches to German weaknesses (Mbappe's pace v Germany's defence walking through treacle). As such it's entirely unpredictable. I mean, Hungary was a KO game in all but name and they very nearly fucked that up (OTOH if England play as cohesively as Hungary did, it will be an improvement on how they did v Scotland, so inconsistency applies to both sides).

I think the betting is going something like 60:40 in England's favour; I'd say 55-45 Germany, with the swing based purely on the history of how the sides have played in KO games since tournaments went to straight KO in 1986 (OTOH 1990 and 1996 repeated would be pens*, obviously).

*A potential problem is if Southgate keeps Kane on purely to take pens. Then they go 1-0 down and...does he stay on just in case they get a pen?
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-06-2021, 13:05.

Comment

Fans getting ready

https://twitter.com/mjiob/status/1409861351510585349?s=21

(to replace Boris Johnson, in this case)

Comment

The second round winners to this point have largely been the teams who were well organised but lacking in creativity in the first round (possibly excepting Italy). By this token, England have a chance.

By any realistic token however it's hard to see past a German win

Comment

I absoulety love English football, and the strength and tradition of the pyramid. I like the personality of this England team in general. But I'm not a slave to patriotism.

I'm sort of judging who I want to win this by how I think each country would react to a victory, and I know so many people in England who would be genuinely and nicely ecstatic.

But I couldn't bear to see England win a tournament the year after Brexit, and all the bandwagon jumping from their loathsome government and press.

Germany is just a much nicer, saner, fairer country than England at the moment. I haven't lived in England for 30 years. I want Germany to win.

Comment

From the BBC website:

"There are two changes to the Germany side who scraped past Hungary in dramatic fashion.

Ilkay Gundogan and Leroy Sane drop out, alongside Serge Gnabry."

I failed my GCSE in Counting, but, that's three isn't it?

Comment

Looks like Southgate has gone for the 5-2-3 formation which can revert to 6-2-2 when under pressure. Go England!

Comment

This game is set up for a Timo Werner hat-trick, isn't it? Couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo all season, let's now watch him bang in a range of goals from close range, long range and with his head.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                From the BBC website:

"There are two changes to the Germany side who scraped past Hungary in dramatic fashion.

Ilkay Gundogan and Leroy Sane drop out, alongside Serge Gnabry."

I failed my GCSE in Counting, but, that's three isn't it?
                                                Gnabry didn't start against Hungary. But it is an odd sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                                  I absoulety love English football, and the strength and tradition of the pyramid. I like the personality of this England team in general. But I'm not a slave to patriotism.

I'm sort of judging who I want to win this by how I think each country would react to a victory, and I know so many people in England who would be genuinely and nicely ecstatic.

But I couldn't bear to see England win a tournament the year after Brexit, and all the bandwagon jumping from their loathsome government and press.

Germany is just a much nicer, saner, fairer country than England at the moment. I haven't lived in England for 30 years. I want Germany to win.
                                                  I can't want England to lose, fuck idiots patriotism. That's why a Sterling winner, or even better a Rashford one, would be nice. A win, but achieved with a method to boil the piss of the right (wrong) people.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X