The ding-dong Zaragoza - Zagreb derby - ESP v CRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ding-dong Zaragoza - Zagreb derby - ESP v CRO

Spain finally came to life in their final group game, and arguably Croatia did the same. Could be a good game this afternoon.

Spain came to life once they had gone 2-0 up(the first goal of which was handed to them utterly ludicrously). I don't hold out any hope that the second half of the Slovakia game was anything but a fluke. I've found watching them to be awful. I was a fan of 2010 Spain, and loved watching them trying to unlock defences. This team however, seems to be playing possession for the sake of keeping possession, and without any creative players to conjure up chances, or goalscorers to get on the end of them, it just seems futile. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see past a Croatia win (though probably only 1-0 as Spain aren't going to give up many chances either)

Comment

Not trying to be contrary or owt, but I much prefer this Spain team to the World Cup winners. This team is human, it actually makes mistakes, and I think it's more direct and exciting to watch - even if that's not necessarily making them Brazil 1970. Successful Spain ended up boring me to the point where I'd probably have switched over to the rugby channel, if I'd had one.

Comment

Yeah I don't get that more direct thing. Without a Xavi or Iniesta or Silva (etc) sliding inch perfect passes through the defence, this team just seems to pass the ball round (like water polo but without a shot clock)

Comment

Jordi Alba omitted from the starting line up. as is Gerard Moreno. Brave choices. Gayà plays.

Comment

Lovren and Perisic out with positive Covid tests.

The former of which must be a boost for Croatia, surely?

Comment

Ah, think maybe only Perisic is due to Covid test, Lovren might be just because he's rubbish.

Comment

Lovren's suspended - two yellow cards.

Comment

Ah, so only indirectly due to being rubbish. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                    Jordi Alba omitted from the starting line up. as is Gerard Moreno. Brave choices. Gayà plays.
                    Moreno has looked like the best forward player Spain have, so that's a surprise to me. Do they have a good replacement for Alba (going forward) - I presume they've opted this way to be more defensive?

Comment

Busy start from Spain.

Comment

Is every referee in this tournament bald (or has a shaved head)? Do they all believe themselves to True Heirs of Collina?

Comment

It's that thing where they have to give a dropped ball if it hits them and influences play. Imagine the VAR fuss if a ref had to be called over to adjudge if a chipped pass had brushed his own flowing locks.

Comment

This is the tournament of missing from point blank range.

Comment

OMFG

Comment

Well

Comment

Oops.

Comment

WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

Comment

Spectacular OG from halfway!

Comment

Whoopsy!

Comment

Hey goalkeepers, STOP THINKING YOU'RE FOOTBALLERS!

Comment

Was it Morata?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              Is every referee in this tournament bald (or has a shaved head)? Do they all believe themselves to True Heirs of Collina?
                                              ’Certainly not ‘true hairs of Collina’, eh folks?’

Why does ITV’s co-commentator use the ‘itch’-suffix for all of Croatia’s players bar ‘Mod-rick’ - who must after all be the best-known of them all?

Meanwhile, what the blue bloody blazes..?!

Comment

More a dire goal keeping fuck-up on a back pass from the halfway line

Comment

Holy fuckaroli!
                                                  this is the tournament of keeper OGs and howlers

Comment

Working...
                                                  X