Groups With Widest Age Span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groups With Widest Age Span

I figured it would have to be group C, assuming North Macedonia because it's a young country, but wiki said their national football side was founded in 1926. Still, Netherlands' FA was founded in 1889, joined FIFA in 1904 and UEFA in 1954 (upon the founding of each organization, respectively). So maybe that group still wins this utterly unimportant contest.

Still, just thinking about this led me down a rabbit hole of looking up when certain countries were founded. It's not really clear in most cases because it depends on what counts as the founding of the country as it exists today. Austria has been known as a distinct entity for over 1,000 years, but its current form didn't really come to be until after the War. The founding of the modern Netherlands is also not clear. I think the best option would be in the 1600s, but other dates could be picked.

For a long time North Macedonia was part of Yugoslavia so the football fedelation may have started in the inter-war period but did it continue after the second world war as an independent entity?

Comment

Wikipedia has Macedonia's first official international as 1993. (First unofficial one in 1945)

Comment

If you don't count Czechia as continuity Czechoslovakia, then the gap from Scotland-England's first international in 1872 to Czechia's first in 1994 will probably "earn" a win for Group D.

Comment

England and Croatia?

The current Croation football federation was founded in 1992, so older than the Czech.

Comment

I went down that rabbit hole too Belhaven, and was surprised to find that Croatia was recognised as a FIFA member in 1941 until the end of the war, when they were "reunited" with Yugoslavia.

*The surprising thing being that FIFA were recognising countries during the war, as they are "famously apolitical". My quotes are doing a lot of heavy lifting in this post.

Comment

Is it clear when England became England?

What was the most recent nation to become affiliated to UEFA? Montenegro was affiliated in 2007 despite the FA having started in 1931 as a subdivision of the Yugoslavia one.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-06-2021, 17:40.

Comment

Is it not Gibraltar?

EDIT: Just checked and they became UEFA affiliated in 2013 with the first competitive team playing a fixture in 1993

Comment

Kosovo

Affiliated 2016, first international 2008

Comment

San Marino claims to be the oldest sovereign state in the world

https://www.timetravelturtle.com/vis...ldest-country/

Andorra dates froim Charlemagne.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-06-2021, 21:31.

Comment

I would have thought both Japan and China have been independent longer than San Marino, given both date back before the Common Era?

Comment

And I'm sure they would agree, but the San Marinese would cite discontinuities in the state's identity and control over their territory over that time

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                          I went down that rabbit hole too Belhaven, and was surprised to find that Croatia was recognised as a FIFA member in 1941 until the end of the war, when they were "reunited" with Yugoslavia.

*The surprising thing being that FIFA were recognising countries during the war, as they are "famously apolitical". My quotes are doing a lot of heavy lifting in this post.
                          I somehow forgot Croatia was part of Yugoslavia.

Comment

FIFA being very ethical there in 1941 - Croatia was slaughtering Jews at the time.

Comment

More than Jews, of course, the Ustaše pretty killed everyone who disagreed with the regime of the era.

Comment

Working...
                              X