No announcement yet.

Cym on Den!! The first game in the round of 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Kaspar Schmeichel made a single save, did he?

Comment

Two goals for the Danish Morata, not bad.

Comment

Before I forget again, I don't think anyone's said it yet but kudos to Patrick Thistle for our magnificent thread title. The highlight of a disappointing affair.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Yeah, we went full Bobby Gould in that second half.
          And you never go full Bobby Gould.

Comment

Cheers Various Artist

Dramatic end to Gareth's interview there.

Comment

The BBC interviewer was a bit heavy-handed interviewing Bale. No wonder he walked off.

I'd have tried a tack along the lines off: "Reaching the second round has been a good achievement. Looking ahead, a solid basis for the World Cup qualifications."

Gareth: "Yeah, no, yes, for sure, great group of players that can achieve great things for sure."

Me: "Is the playing for the World Cup an ambition for you?"

At which point Gareth walks off in disgust anyway, but more likely he says: "Yeah, no, er, yes, no, I think at the end of the day every player dreams of playing in the World Cup but as I say I'll take some time off and not think about football and then think about the future."

He'll hardly commit to future plans he possibly hasn't even made yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                I think the ref got tired of some of the, shall we say, frustrated challenges that Wales have put in.
                That's ok, I think the Wales players were pretty tired of the ref from the 48 minute mark.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post

That's ok, I think the Wales players were pretty tired of the ref from the 48 minute mark.
                  The ref wasn't great, but that's no excuse for some of the late and off the ball challenges Wales made in the last quarter, Cornelius was on the end of a couple on his own.

Ideally (in my world), any kick/shove of a player with no pretence of attempting to play the football would be a red card, whoever does it at whatever stage of the game – might stop a lot of cynical fouls, not just petulant ones.

Comment

Going on about the ref might be a distraction from reality, but that's all it is. Denmark dominated from the 10th minute on and 4-0 really isn't a harsh reflection. The 2nd goal wouldn't have happened if Williams hadn't basically passed straight to Dolberg right in front of goal.

Comment

Yeah the second goal was a defensive fuck up. The third goal had Ben Davies slipping while trying to change direction. The fourth goal was excellent and should never have been flagged offside. I'm not going to complain about Wilson's red card because if it had been a Denmark player doing that I'd have said it should have been a red card.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Cheers Various Artist

Dramatic end to Gareth's interview there.
                        What happened?

Comment

That was one of those games where I did want Denmark to win, but after a thriller, not a thumping. Bale must surely have been frustrated that as the one real world class star on the pitch Denmark worked out, affer 20 minutes, how to keep him out of the game.

Comment

The second goal was a defensive fuck up. That doesn't alter the fact it should have been disallowed. A foul doesn't stop being a foul just because the team committing it has been playing better. I don't really have a problem with the referee missing a foul, that happens. What I have a problem with is the failure of the VAR system to be used properly. Denmark were the better team, and in all likelihood would have won anyway, so why not let them do that without a fuck up from the officials?

Comment

Sometimes, when you are rubbish and a better team beats you, you can be sanguine. Well done, Denmark. Contrary to my thoughts during the game, I am not sure that Gunter instead of Williams would’ve made a difference. That is all, can't really analyse the match nor complain about certain decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

What happened?
                                The interviewer asked him about his future plans and he just knocked the mic away and walked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                                  You just got to love a racist prime minister in the national team shirt.
                                  I saw this earlier and just remembered to ask about it. Are the Danish government enacting racist policies, or is it something she's said personally?

Comment

I saw this earlier and just remembered to ask about it. Are the Danish government enacting racist policies, or is it something she's said personally?
                                    Basically, the Social Democrats are tightening immigration laws, and their leftist coalition partners are complaining, but all about the opinion polls.

Comment

They've also been trying to send Syrian refugees back to Syria.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...sed-asylum-law

This wasn't great either.

Comment

Yes a racist country just like the UK hope we both lose.

Comment

The interviewer asked him about his future plans and he just knocked the mic away and walked off.
                                            Apparently, Bale had been asked exactly the same question after the last game. Didn’t see that interview, so not sure what answer he gave, but he was obviously pissed off to be asked the same again so soon. Don’t blame him, especially after having just been knocked out of the euros

Comment

That was one of those situations where, as proud as I am of how he conducts himself as a professional, I was quite pleased to see the emotion in that he was fairly pissed off. Also, as someone who gets irritated as he can't hear well, I can sympathise that he was getting pissed off with the Danish support being so loud (which is, of course, their prerogative).

On a more sober (or, technically, drunker) reflection, I wonder if we fell into a cult of Kieffer Moore too much. Over the last decade, we have played on the floor out of the back with balls through from midfielders into the feet of players to score goals. Don't get me wrong, there have been goals from set pieces as well as goals from crosses onto the heads of Moore, Bale, Vokes etc. However, we haven't played long balls to a striker in the way that we did today...or, perhaps we have and it seemed moreso today as it was less successful.

I am not sure what the alternative is as I haven't seen the likes of Tyler Roberts, Rabbi Matondo or Ben Woodburn to know whether they are the answer in the long-term. Pushing Bale up certainly isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                                                The second goal was a defensive fuck up. That doesn't alter the fact it should have been disallowed. A foul doesn't stop being a foul just because the team committing it has been playing better. I don't really have a problem with the referee missing a foul, that happens. What I have a problem with is the failure of the VAR system to be used properly. Denmark were the better team, and in all likelihood would have won anyway, so why not let them do that without a fuck up from the officials?
                                                The VAR system was used right, if it wasn't used at all on the second goal. Play that took place in the opposite half of the field, with possession swapping back and forth between the sides at least twice more prior to the relevant action is way too far removed to be open to VAR considering - it's a completely different phase of play, VAR can only consider incidents in the phase that included the goal/penalty/sending-off offence. The ref on the field got it wrong (clearly), but VAR isn't used and above all shouldn't be used on something that takes place so far dissociated from a goal. If that was allowed (it's not), we could likely found some foul or other not given to a conceding team in just about every goal there is.

Comment

Beaten by a far better side on the day, though I think the 0-2 scoreline it was heading for until those last mad few minutes would have been a fairer reflection of the game than 0-4.

Denmark played the ref even better than they played us. Their constant diving and exaggeration of contact fed in to his reading of the whole game which slanted towards them. There were no better illustrations of that than the absurd decision to allow play to go on for the second goal when Moore was fouled (not that Neco's subsequent brainfade wasn't appalling) and Wilson's red card.

VAR shouldn't have been used for the Moore incident though (and it would be an even worse development than it appears if something that far back in a move is analysed) and the ref wasn't responsible for the result. Our own anaemic attacking play, lack of structure and uncharacteristic sloppiness in defence were the bigger factors. The game sort of crystallised some of my pondering recently on how good or not we (and Page) actually are.

Now's not the time for that though, it's a sign of how far we've come that a R16 exit is such a huge disappointment. Still proud of the boys but quietly furious that they've been dragged thousands of miles across Europe and denied more than a handful of our own supporters while having to face effectively three home crowds for Turkey, Italy and Denmark. I'm just glad I made one game in the tournament and that it was such a blast being there.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-06-2021, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                    The game sort of crystallised some of my pondering recently on how good or not we (and Page) actually are.

[...] Still proud of the boys but quietly furious that they've been dragged thousands of miles across Europe and denied more than a handful of our own supporters while having to face effectively three home crowds for Turkey, Italy and Denmark
                                                    This is me too, on both counts. On the latter point, wasn't the stat that Denmark have travelled 355km in all in this tournament so far (i.e. the distance from Copenhagen to Amsterdam) while Wales have travelled c. 3600km?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X