Cym on Den!! The first game in the round of 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    All fair points BLT... albeit I'm not so sure about the second one, was that the limit of Welsh ambition and is the pressure really all on a Danish side who've already performed a minor miracle just to get out of their group?
    I dunno, the whole "win for Eriksen" stuff must give a whole load of additional emotional baggage that they don't necessarily want or need, for a team who pre-tournament were already considered Denmark's best hopes since the 1990s.

Hope Wales can send them home so that they can take the time they need to heal and not have their trauma strip-mined for surplus narrative for the TV industry..
    Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 26-06-2021, 09:47.

Comment

That's the noblest-sounding excuse for wanting your team to win a football game I think I've ever heard! I can't disagree, though.

Comment

I've had a discussion recently about what "success" at the Euros would be for Wales. We agreed "failure" would have been going home at the group stage. "Success" would be getting to the quarter finals and beyond. So a defeat today would be "met expectations".

Comment

Indeed, that would seem the 'par' result pretty much, wouldn't it?

A shame meanwhile I only just learned randomly via Sporting's post on the 1968 Euros that the Wales-Italy match the other day was for the Unofficial Football World Championship:
          https://twitter.com/UFWC_Football/status/1406538729972551684

That was the first Welsh challenge for the UFWC since late 1988 – they lost the 'title' to the Netherlands via a Ruud Gullit goal in a WC qualifier, having only 'won' it in their previous (friendly) game v Italy before that year's Euros, which was itself amazingly the only time they'd been in the mix for it since 1937.

Instead, Italy will have the chance to move into the Top 5 all time UWFC titlists (ranked by defences of the crown) if they can beat Austria.
          Last edited by Various Artist; 26-06-2021, 10:43.

Comment

Denmark had that traumatic first match, and then completely emptied the tank against Belgium and Russia. Wales have played comfortably within themselves for the first three games. They've got to be fairly strong favourites

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              Indeed, that would seem the 'par' result pretty much, wouldn't it?

A shame meanwhile I only just learned randomly via Sporting's post on the 1968 Euros that the Wales-Italy match the other day was for the Unofficial Football World Championship:
              https://twitter.com/UFWC_Football/status/1406538729972551684

That was the first Welsh challenge for the UFWC since late 1988 – they lost the 'title' to the Netherlands via a Ruud Gullit goal in a WC qualifier, having only 'won' it in their previous (friendly) game v Italy before that year's Euros, which was itself amazingly the only time they'd been in the mix for it since 1937.

Instead, Italy will have the chance to move into the Top 5 all time UWFC titlists (ranked by defences of the crown) if they can beat Austria.
              As I mentioned on the Groundhopper thread (which I can't blame non-obsessives for not following), you were "awarded" a badge for attendance at the match that in my nervous and befuddled state completely confused me ;

Comment

I've just realised I'll be at two consecutive title deciders with Italy's game tonight.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-06-2021, 11:55.

Comment

As a proud son of Zealand, I'll be hoping for a Denmark win. But should Wales triumph, I'll point to how many Manics gigs I've been to, and claim part if that victory too.

Comment

As well as having 3 welsh grandparents, I've seen the Manics and the Stereophonics multiple times each.

I know, I know. My wife likes them, and I like that one song (Dakota). Plus Tom Jones guested at one of the gigs for extra Welsh points.

I've predicted a 1-0 to Wales on the prediction thread, and I have a 0% strike rate so far.

Comment

The Manics and Stereophonics have "one song" between them?!

Everyone's a critic, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        I've just realised I'll be at two consecutive title deciders with Italy's game tonight.
                        Awesome! And another badge to boot. Hope you'll be able to enjoy that more this time.

Comment

Oh, Rome was a blast. Best defeat since Zenica.

Comment

All those kids singing the anthem was great. Dwi'n hoffi weld "Cofiwch Dryweryn" in the background of one of them

Comment

Wales remind me of the Czech Republic side in Euro 2004, Bale is Poborsky (upgraded version), Ramsey is Nedved, Rosicky is Joe Allen, Moore is Koller.

Comment

Come on Wales! You've already won the anthem match. Good luck to you all.

Comment

Every Welsh ex-pat living in Amsterdam in the stadium, probably.

Comment

The Welsh team stood in a line getting really short in the middle then tall again looks like a recent covid infections graph.

Comment

Yessss, they've both got their gloves on. Bring on the saves!

Comment

So nice to see the anthem being sung with such passion, I think it was Gary Speed that brought that in. It was certainly present under Chris Coleman.

A 4-7 split for the team photo is a strange one.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          A 4-7 split for the team photo is a strange one.
                                          Seems positively restrained by our recent standards.

Comment

Would Welsh fans have been allowed to travel if the UK were still in the EU (Jon Champion just implied it was a factor)?

Comment

You would presumably have signed up for the EU Covid Cert by now, whereas no confirmation as to where the UK stands on that so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Would Welsh fans have been allowed to travel if the UK were still in the EU (Jon Champion just implied it was a factor)?
                                                Pretty sure individual EU countries set their own restrictions against individual nations.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  Every Welsh ex-pat living in Amsterdam in the stadium, probably.
                                                  Immigrant.

Comment

Bale has started very well. Game very even.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X