No announcement yet.

Mentioning the War-athon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gareth Southgate was quite interesting on the rivalry when speaking with Mark Pougatch on ITV yesterday, responding to a question about how the players would handle the rivalry and how the staff might go about addressing its importance by pointing out that a fair number of the squad weren't even born when the big semi-finals of the 90s took place, and therefore likely don't feel the same about Germany as a footballing rival as a lot of older folk do. Gave the impression that they may be taking the dangerously sensible approach of not really concerning themselves with the significance of who the opposition are, rather just how they can win the game.

Best response though was when Pougatch asked some inane question about the "handbrake", which ITV seem to have declared their buzzword as regards England in this tournament (I genuinely lost count of the number of times Matterface and Pougatch said it throughout the coverage of the Czech game), and Southgate just deadpanned back "I don't know what you mean, Mark."

Comment

What is the handbrake? What does it mean? As metaphors go, I can't even guess this one.

Comment

I think the metaphor is that England are a sportscar just waiting to roar into action, after sensibly waiting at a set of traffic lights. Of course, they could release the handbrake and speed straight over the dual carriageway, through a hedge and into a duckpond.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          I think the metaphor is that England are a sportscar just waiting to roar into action, after sensibly waiting at a set of traffic lights. Of course, they could release the handbrake and speed straight over the dual carriageway, through a hedge and into a duckpond.
          So the metaphor for Spain was a bottle of uncorked cava. Any more national team metaphors out there?

Comment

I assume that when England release the handbrake, we'll roll slowly back down the hill and bump into the car that was parked behind us causing annoyance, cost and minor damage to both.

Comment

What would be the function of this imaginary handbrake approach? Lulling the others into a false sense of security, like a pool hustler? Feels like if they want to play high octane attacking football in the later rounds, they ought to have started getting some experience in it in the first round while they could make mistakes

Comment

I hope this game is as exciting as luke Shaw's press conference. Poor Jose,

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...on-but-he-cant

Comment

Someone's going to start a different thread for the actual game, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

So the metaphor for Spain was a bottle of uncorked cava. Any more national team metaphors out there?

Comment

B elarus
                      U ltonia
                      C loggers
                      K rauts
                      EE sti

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Someone's going to start a different thread for the actual game, no?
                        If I must.

Comment

Don't look back in Eng-Ger?

Comment

Or, perhaps a PiL themed prediction: Eng-Ger Has No Energy

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              Don't look back in Eng-Ger?
                              Don't mention the VAR?

Comment

Each of the favourites has struggled so far, so good chance for the plucky German underdogs

Comment

A scan of the front and back pages on the relevant Twitter feed reveals nothing too bellicose ahead of the match, which is heartening.

Comment

There is this...
                                    https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1409766911697637376

My previous unexpected feelings of of hoping for England to win just got vomited up

Comment

Fuck, returning my tickets now.

Comment

Oh God, no.

That crying with laughter emoji really is banter's angel of death, isn't it.

Comment

FFS. We've finally got a mostly likeable team, a mostly likeable manager, our media have stopped being overtly racist and our fans haven't killed anyone recently. But that band will have every sensible neutral cheering on the Germans.

Comment

I had "Kai Havertz and let slip the dogs of VAR!" But what do I know eh?

Comment

Working...
                                            X