England sets Euro record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England sets Euro record

I stand to be corrected, but I believe England have set a Euros record by topping their group with a scanty total of two goals.

Previous record was three goals held by: Belgium (1980), Spain (1984), Germany (2016). Of those, only Germany didn't concede goals in the group stage.

Has any side topped a four-team World Cup group with equal parsimony? Poland 1982?

No, Poland went mad in their final game and beat Peru 5-1. Northern Ireland, however, did top their group at the same tournament after a 0-0, 1-1, then a 1-0 win against hosts Spain.

Comment

Poland 1982 scored 5 in the first group stage, all against Peru. Looking through that World Cup, Northern Ireland scored 2 and conceded 1 when topping group 5.

England matched Northern Ireland in 1990, so could potentially hold the (at least joint) record in both tournaments.

Edit: curses to Rogin who stole my first paragraph as I was typing my second!

Comment

Japan won their group at the 1992 Asian Cup having scored two and conceded one in their three games. Runners up UAE and third placed Iran both also finished having scored two and conceded one.

Comment

The World Cup record holders: Italy 1970 (Germany scored ten time as many in their group). A 1-0 win against Sweden and two 0-0s against Uruguay and Israel.

Two goals (as already mentioned): England 1990. And Northern Ireland 1982.

Group-toppers with three goals: France (2018), Paraguay (2010), Mexico (1994), Cameroon (1990), Morocco (1986), Belgium (1982), Austria (1978).

Comment

Wow, one goal, good sleuthing. Unlikely to be topped... although technically possible if all the games in a group finished 0-0, but only in those circumstances.

Comment

I posted this on G-Man's Facebook but will repeat here, for no good reason:

(England's) record is nonetheless better than our 1970 World Cup group campaign, which also saw two 1-0 victories, plus a 0-1 defeat to the eventual champs.

Of course, having qualified out of that group, we then faced..?

Comment

The statistically proven curse of ITV - England's success over Czechia was the first in a tournament on the commercial station since 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                  The World Cup record holders: Italy 1970 (Germany scored ten time as many in their group). A 1-0 win against Sweden and two 0-0s against Uruguay and Israel.

Two goals (as already mentioned): England 1990. And Northern Ireland 1982.

Group-toppers with three goals: France (2018), Paraguay (2010), Mexico (1994), Cameroon (1990), Morocco (1986), Belgium (1982), Austria (1978).
                  Mexico's group in 1994 was the only time all four teams in a group have tied on 4 points, each W1 D1 L1 and GD 0. Mexico's 3 goals beat Ireland and Italy's 2, with Ireland taking second thanks to Houghton's lucky dig, Italy taking third on their way to the final, and Norway the unlucky bottom team having scored just one goal, (the one which beat group winners Mexico). But it was Egil Olsen's shit on a stick team, so no one cared.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Mexico's group in 1994 was the only time all four teams in a group have tied on 4 points, each W1 D1 L1 and GD 0. Mexico's 3 goals beat Ireland and Italy's 2, with Ireland taking second thanks to Houghton's lucky dig, Italy taking third on their way to the final, and Norway the unlucky bottom team having scored just one goal, (the one which beat group winners Mexico). But it was Egil Olsen's shit on a stick team, so no one cared.
                    Lucky dig? There's a lot of lucky goals in professional football if we're to use your template.

Comment

I think as an AEB, I'd prefer their GD to have been something like 5-3, which would indicate that they'll leak goals rather than do a Greece and grind their way to the final.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                        The statistically proven curse of ITV - England's success over Czechia was the first in a tournament on the commercial station since 2012.
                        Whoever put that article together doesn't seem to know the difference between the 2014 and 2018 World Cups.

Nor how to proof-read a headline.

Comment

2011 Kirin Cup (only three teams). Three games between Japan, Peru and Czech Republic. All games ended 0-0. Three teams shared the trophy despite not managing to score a goal.

Kirin Cup is one of my favourite tournaments having winners as diverse as Bosnia Herzgovina, Fluminese, Argentina, Club Brugge and Middlesbrough

Comment

They really should stage a "champion of champions" special edition and have all of the previous winners thrash it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X