The Play-Off Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Play-Off Winners

How many teams have surpassed expectations or been well below them?

I think North Macedonia were marginally above expectation. They didn't get totally hammered and arguably matched Ukraine for long periods.

Scotland might have been expected to get 2-3 points at home but lose at Wembley. They switched that around. A home GD of -4 was below expectations perhaps.

Slovakia still have a game to play but I would not have backed them to beat Russia so that's a 'surpass'.

Hungary have been the big surprise and would have qualified from any other group in my opinion. Home advantage was obviously important to that but some of their players have been outstanding.

I think Scotland and N Macedonia are the sides who looked like they needed a Nations League route into the tournament whereas Slovakia and Hungary looked like they were good enough to have qualified by the traditional route of being a Top 2 side in a qualifying group.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-06-2021, 09:49.

Scotland and North Macedonia and Slovakia all finished third in their respective groups so could well have qualified via traditional playoff mechanisms (only Greece finished third and didn't participate in playoffs).

Comment

Good point.

Comment

Hungary ended up in the Group of F and clearly that was always going to be a very hard group.

Comment

Once the dust has settled how do the third place teams get allocated their respective opponents

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
            Once the dust has settled how do the third place teams get allocated their respective opponents
            Assuming the third-placed team in Group F goes through and Finland go out, I think this is how it works out:

NED v CZE

BEL v 3rd Group F

1st Group F v SUI

SWE v UKR

BBC's permutations guide (and a graphic during the punditry of the France/Portugal game displaying the Netherlands/Czechia tie) giving just enough clues to narrow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Assuming the third-placed team in Group F goes through and Finland go out, I think this is how it works out:

NED v CZE

BEL v 3rd Group F

1st Group F v SUI

SWE v UKR

BBC's permutations guide (and a graphic during the punditry of the France/Portugal game displaying the Netherlands/Czechia tie) giving just enough clues to narrow it down.
              Is this correct then? With Belgium Portugal and France Switzerland?

Comment

Gary Lineker says so.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Is this correct then? With Belgium Portugal and France Switzerland?
                  It is, indeed.

Comment

Just looking forward - if Belgium are to get to the final they have to go through Portugal, probably Italy and then possibly France or Spain. That's a draw and a half

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                      Phew... I knew that all those Einstein's riddle puzzle books would come in handy one day.

Comment

Just caught up on the games, so missed this earlier, but Wikipedia have a nifty table that explains which combinations of thirds would have ended up where

Comment

That which-3rd-placed-team-goes-where chart is the exact same one FIFA used at Mexico 86 and Italia 90, trivia fans.

Comment

Working...
                          X