No announcement yet.

Holes in midfield - ENG-CZE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only way England can play Portugal is if they beat France and Germany beat Hungary or if they draw with France and Germany lose. To be honest I can't see Portugal beating France nor Germany losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

I didn't get to watch the whole game, and what I did see admittedly didn't have my full attention, but I agree with you, it was pretty dull watching for a neutral. I was pretty surprised to read Jonathan Liew speak of England in glowing terms in his article about Saka. I thought I must have only seen the boring parts.

Not sure which part of the game you watched, but England were much better viewing in the first half, during which Saka was very impressive.

Towards the end of the second half, a graphic flashed up to inform us that neither side had ventured a shot since half-time, which wouldn't have come as a surprise to many.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yes. Topped their group. Managed to navigate a tricky game against their oldest rivals where form didn't matter. Two 1-0 wins, one of them after losing 2 players very late because of covid protocols.

Reckon it could be a Greece style stealth job.
        Having said, the years that underwhelming sides triumph tend to come in tournaments where the big sides are weak. In 2016, no side won all three group games - Wales and Hungary were the group-stage top-scorers and Wales had the joint best goal difference. In 2004, the only side to do so was Czechia. Both of those teams were relatively unfancied and lost to the eventual winners in the semi-finals.

Comment

England are going to play Germany unless France put out a reserve XI and get a draw instead of a comfortable win.

Comment

As always with England, it's the hope that kills. You can put the group performances down to them not knowing how to break defensive teams down, teams that fill the box whilst England cross the halfway line, and then tell yourself that they'll look much better against a team that is more open.

Then when it does come around, England will do the same things again and, despite looking ok, end up losing on penalties anyway.

As for Sam Matterface, I don't think there's been a worse commentator throughout this tournament and he's ITV's main man. It's cliché after cliché and desperately looking for that soundbite that will be replayed again - when Italy scored, I think, their second against Switzerland last week I'm sure I heard "It's the eternal city and they'll be talking about that goal forever". It's actually painful to listen to.

He alone is enough to plump for the BBC when it comes to decision time for the final.

Comment

Much as it pains me to put the boot in to a fellow Blue, Matterface just seems desperately bland, with no obvious sense of humour, passion for his subject or ability to turn a phrase.

Comment

I imagine I'm alone in this, but if the choice for the final is Pearce or Matterface, I would go with Matterface. At least with Matterface you can tune him out. Pearce screeches like an alley cat spooked by a cucumber.

Comment

England have a fairly solid defence and some really excellent young players. Saka, Bellingham, Sancho - if the players find a way to play together that exceeds the tactical mediocrity of their manager who know what they might acheive

Comment

Careful Nef, next you'll be suggesting playing young players who aren't blatantly knackered out and other radical ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      As for Sam Matterface, I don't think there's been a worse commentator throughout this tournament and he's ITV's main man. It's cliché after cliché and desperately looking for that soundbite that will be replayed again - when Italy scored, I think, their second against Switzerland last week I'm sure I heard "It's the eternal city and they'll be talking about that goal forever". It's actually painful to listen to.
                      Just before the same game he launched into some painfully worded build-up around "the Swiss have a mountain to climb tonight, and there are mountains between Switzerland and It-" and got cut off mid flow by start of the advert break.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

There was at least one season where Kevin Davies was both the most fouled and most, er, fouling player in the Premier League. He still holds the all-time record for most fouls committed in a Premier League season (the top 3 in fact, and by a long shot) which is pretty impressive for a striker
                        Indeed, and funny you should say that because not only had Quinn crossed my mind as a candidate - right up there with Mark Hughes in terms of obvious enjoyment in dishing it out - but I did a very brief bit of googling after I'd posted the question, and it turns out that the top 10-20 or so committing the most fouls are all attacking players or midfielders. I only found stats for the Premier league, and for the last two seasons, but the season before last I think it was Ayew top or near top of both lists.

Comment

Re: Matterface. It's not so much the silly things he says, they have such a volume of games these days, that's inevitable. It's more that a) he doesn't really know what he's talking about - I saw Henderson was offside and I was checking emails by then - and b) he seems to feel part of his role is to act as national cheerleader, interpreting every event though a lens of "how this is good for England." And as the ineptitude and turgidity mounts, so does his desperation. I don't mind (football) commentators being a bit partisan, but try to keep a grip on reality, FFS.

Comment

You just know Matterface spends hours before a game writing his ad-libs and puns and then tries to crowbar them into the commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              It's 'Czechia' on google maps and has been for about five years.
                              Czech Republic on their team tracksuits.

Comment

I only got the joke in the thread title when Holeš scored against Netherlands yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X