England qualify !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England qualify !!

It's coming home, it's coming home (to self isolate)

Unless I'm wildly mistaken England can pick me in goal tomorrow night and lose 14-0 and they'll still be in the last 16.

One of the nice things every time England get knocked out of a tournament is that the coverage stops being so saturated with constant references to England, interviews with English players or visits to their training camp every ad break, "what does this mean for England??" punditry etc. and we can enjoy the rest of the games in peace

Comment

Both England and the Czechs are through, as they can't finish lower than third place and as they both have 4 points and there are 2+ third-placed teams that finished on 3 points, they'd go through as one of the best placed.

Still many possibilities as to who they could play, basically anybody from Group E, any of the big boys from the Group of Death, or if they fall to third, possibly the Dutch.

Comment

Yes, all teams on 4 points plus Switzerland are there.

Comment

Trying to predict whom England would or wouldn't beat has gone out of the window, I think, due to Kane + COVID + apparent tactical crisis; they seem well behind the Group of Death sides but they might have some desperate backs to the wall performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
            It's coming home, it's coming home (to self isolate)

Unless I'm wildly mistaken England can pick me in goal tomorrow night and lose 14-0 and they'll still be in the last 16.
            I don't know. The fact that you're not a registered member of the squad (as far as I know) surely ought to lead to some sort of points deduction.

Comment

Well, if, between now and about 7pm tomorrow evening, Rogin can change all of his legal details to those of Jordan Pickford - and then kidnap and hide said namesake, while successfully convincing the remainder of the England set-up that this bizarre succession of events represent a sensible course of action - then a points deduction could potentially be avoided.

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
              One of the nice things every time England get knocked out of a tournament is that the coverage stops being so saturated with constant references to England, interviews with English players or visits to their training camp every ad break, "what does this mean for England??" punditry etc. and we can enjoy the rest of the games in peace
              I could be wrong, but I’d hazard a guess that the same thing happens in most other competing nations. (Regarding their own representatives obviously, not England.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                Well, if, between now and about 7pm tomorrow evening, Rogin can change all of his legal details to those of Jordan Pickford - and then kidnap and hide said namesake, while successfully convincing the remainder of the England set-up that this bizarre succession of events represent a sensible course of action - then a points deduction could potentially be avoided.
                Or Rogin is secretly outing himself as Dean Henderson.

Comment

Well, if, between now and about 7pm tomorrow evening, Rogin can change all of his legal details to those of Jordan Pickford - and then kidnap and hide said namesake, while successfully convincing the remainder of the England set-up that this bizarre succession of events represent a sensible course of action - then a points deduction could potentially
                  Or he might just need to prove that he was the only Englishman who didn't ruffle Billy Gilmour's hair

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Yes, all teams on 4 points plus Switzerland are there.
                    Switzerland got 4 points too.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I’d hazard a guess that the same thing happens in most other competing nations. (Regarding their own representatives obviously, not England.)
                      Oh sure it does, and it's equally annoying. Actually I've noticed they're trying to do a little bit of that with Scotland this time around (not something I had noticed happening with Wales or Northern Ireland previously), and despite supporting Scotland I've found that tedious as well

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                        Both England and the Czechs are through, as they can't finish lower than third place and as they both have 4 points and there are 2+ third-placed teams that finished on 3 points, they'd go through as one of the best placed.

Still many possibilities as to who they could play, basically anybody from Group E, any of the big boys from the Group of Death, or if they fall to third, possibly the Dutch.
                        if I understand it right if England win they play France, Germany or Portugal at Wembley. if they lose they play the Netherlands in Budapest - - the best option appears to be the draw: Spain, Sweden, Slovakia or Poland in Copenhagen. -

Comment

Groups E and F are intriguingly poised IMO. Spain know they can't afford to "do a Portugal" and draw all three, because although they'd have a better GD than Ukraine and Finland, they could finish bottom if they drew (giving SVK their 4th point) and Poland beat Sweden, who already have 4 and know they are qualified.
                          Portugal meanwhile know that a single goal defeat to France, leaving them with 3 points and 0 GD, would put them ahead of the group B/C boys - even a 2 goal loss could see them progress on goals scored. But a win for Hungary would put a defeated Portugal bottom and Germany 3rd.

Comment

Pretty confident Germany will beat Hungary tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Pretty confident Germany will beat Hungary tbh.
                              I was confident France would, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

if I understand it right if England win they play France, Germany or Portugal at Wembley. if they lose they play the Netherlands in Budapest - - the best option appears to be the draw: Spain, Sweden, Slovakia or Poland in Copenhagen. -
                                But after that game, if they were through, they'd then get France, Germany or Portugal in the QF away from Wembley.

Comment

Yeah, sooner or later you've got to beat a good team (or a team that beat a good team)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

But after that game, if they were through, they'd then get France, Germany or Portugal in the QF away from Wembley.
                                    ...and in St Petersburg, where it is currently* 91 degrees F. England chasing shadows for two thirds of the game in that heat is going to make for grim viewing.

*I know the game itself kicks off at 7pm local, but it'll still be boiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I was confident France would [beat Hungary], too.
                                      But Griezmann explained that already. The French were scared of all the people in the stadium (those new-fangled "spectators" you have these days) who made a noise. Plus there was the heat, which the Hungarians didn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

If England lose, they could end up playing the winner of group E in Glasgow.(if the four best teams are from groups A, D, E & F)

Comment

Working...
                                        X