MAC v NED/UKR v AUS - Group C Deciders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Probably, AUS didn't look right but I was in a rush.

It's not an acronym though, it's not formed from initial letters pronounced as a word.
    Can TLA not also be "three-letter abbreviation" (and hence beautifully recursive)?
    Last edited by Nurse Duckett; 21-06-2021, 17:29.

Comment

Have the made a decision of whether Wembley will have the final yet? Just thinking about ITV's competition, and 'four free tickets to the final in London'

Comment

I am half disappointed that the Austrians, knowing that both teams only need a draw, aren't performing a knowing ironic tribute to Gijon '82.

But the fact that they are probably going to keep Ukraine to 3 points is certainly good for everyone else.

Comment

Gini seems to be playing like he's been released from
          .. oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post

Can TLA not also be "three-letter abbreviation" (and hence beautifully recursive)?
            Surely to be recursive it would have to be "TLT", standing for "three-letter TLT" where TLT stands for etc. etc.

Comment

Not sure whether second is a massive boon, as it guarantees a game against Italy and (even worse) a journey via Heathrow.

Third will be a game against the winners of either group E or group F, which could be against France, but could also be against Sweden/Slovakia, which seems much more winnable.

Comment

Clive has just opined that "only a calculus professor" can work out the formula of this tournament which put me in mind of my 'need a slide rule' comment on the other thread.

Comment

The above is in reference to Austria's approach to the game, as a draw would guarantee them a (qualifying) third place berth. A loss for either team does make a "best third" place less likely.

Comment

Apparently Clive has just given away the winner of World's Strongest Man - some people on Twitter are apoplectic. I'm watching the game on mute so didn't hear it.

Comment

Terrible pass right at the death typifies Austria's performance. So many chances and no killer instinct. Probably deserved the win on balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Clive has just opined that "only a calculus professor" can work out the formula of this tournament which put me in mind of my 'need a slide rule' comment on the other thread.
                        Grrr.

See also "political calculus" etc. You all mean political calculations don't you? You're not trying to actually work out the political integral of something. Occasionally I suppose you might be trying to use calculus to work out inflection points or whatever but it's never used that way.

Comment

A very chastened looking Shevchenko indulging in what looked like an Icelandic "thunderclap" with the Ukraine support. It all looked pretty mournful, will that be it for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Surely to be recursive it would have to be "TLT", standing for "three-letter TLT" where TLT stands for etc. etc.
                            Hmm, fair point. Self-referential, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                              Heh! I missed that. Which is probably as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X