Radio in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio in the UK

5 Live had been airing all of the games up to matchday 3 and parallel start times. Does anyone know who is airing the games not on 5 Live and if there is a site to stream the broadcasts on delay? Thanks.

Talksport broadcast both games simultaneously on 1 and 2 if you can tolerate Damn Natterface as the commentator sometimes.

Their dodgy app also has play again but can be infuriatingly unreliable.

If you're abroad, you'll need a proxy as they don't have overseas rights.

Comment

I've been pleasantly surprised that BBC radio (5 Live but also Wales etc) has been available worldwide. During the domestic season the commentary is blocked (as you'd expect, with broadcasting rights issues for EPL and other competitions). Getting more for the Euros than "and we welcome World Service listeners" is a nice bonus, so thanks for paying for it.

I suppose I could grumble a fair bit about some of the commentators but Jimmy Armfield has gone and Chrises Waddle and Sutton are what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
        Damn Natterface
        Who he be?

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Matterface

Comment

For some reason all 5 Live's sports broadcasts have been unblocked in The Netherlands at least since the first lock down. I enjoyed the US open last night, for example and all their football coverage for the whole of the last season.

Comment

5 Live seems OK in the US. Talkshite sometimes gets fed through Sirius XM's FC channel

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                5 Live had been airing all of the games up to matchday 3 and parallel start times. Does anyone know who is airing the games not on 5 Live and if there is a site to stream the broadcasts on delay? Thanks.
                I would have guessed the "other games" will be on 5 Live Sports Extra? Don't know whether they have it on delay though (most other BBC stations have a delay/replay option though).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  What Sam Matterface, huh?

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have a dedicated London VPN so have been able to use that for the past few years to download stuff from BBC. Is the talksport app only phone/tablet or is it available on Mac OS? I'm not seeing anything in the App store on my computer or via a search. The web site lists schedule/catchup but no love with the catchup. I only see an upcoming schedule. Of course these things could be hidden.

BTW, here are easy links for both BBC TV and 5 Live with no spoilers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b0070hx6

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...pisodes/player

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have a dedicated London VPN so have been able to use that for the past few years to download stuff from BBC. Is the talksport app only phone/tablet or is it available on Mac OS? I'm not seeing anything in the App store on my computer or via a search. The web site lists schedule/catchup but no love with the catchup. I only see an upcoming schedule. Of course these things could be hidden.

BTW, here are easy links for both BBC TV and 5 Live with no spoilers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...pisodes/player
                      TuneIn would be an option for Talksport, I'd have thought, if it isn't geoblocked?

Comment

I've been using the VPN on my phone to listen to the 5 Live commentary on catch-up, and I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to the games whilst driving to work. I'm in bed for the later games and don't have time to watch the full replays the following day. SBS Radio in Australia did have the BBC commentary for the 2pm games but not that I could see for the later games. I did contact SBS to ask if they'd be broadcasting all the games but so far no response - no doubt they'll get back to me the day after the final.

For tonight, 5 Live extra will have the Scotland - Croatia game with England on the main station. I was hoping to catch up on this game listening to Radio Scotland's Sportsound, but for some strange reason Sportsound doesn't appear to do catch-up.

Comment

I used to have a VPN but let it slip. Now they tell me they're easily detectable. I don't watch much TV but any info; by PM maybe better, would be nice.

Comment

Sporting I will post this here in case anyone else cares but feel free to send me a PM if you want more info. I use a company called Torguard. I pay for the VPN service, which allows me to jump around between 25 (?) different country IPs **but** those IPs really only fool sites that have simple geo-location blocks. For example, I can get around download limits from sites like Mega NZ by using that VPN. But for something like Iplayer then I needed a dedicated London line, which costs more. They had a black Friday buy one year, get 3 years or something like that so I did it. Anyway, I can turn that on and then watch or listen to any of the catchup. I do all of this on my computer but you can use Torguard (and other VPNs I assume) on unlimited devices: phones, streaming boxes like Amazon Fire Stick, etc. I hope that helps.

Comment

Sporting Im pretty sure if I get 5 Live's sports content without a vpn in Holland, then you should be able to in Spain. I player is still definitely geoblocked though.

Comment

The VPN I use and pay for is Pure VPN, which sounds very similar to Torguard. It's been working perfectly on my mobile for streaming 5Live and the i-player, and there's a browser extension for when I'm using my laptop. They do a 7-day free trial if you're interested.

But after all that, I never got to listen to the Scotland game on the radio yesterday as 5 Live Extra didn't appear on the BBC Sounds app (it magically appeared later in the day), and Radio Scotland just refuses to let users listen to games on catch-up, when every other crap programme they air is available. Ended up catching the brief highlights on the i-player.

Listening in on catch-up this afternoon on the France-Portugal game, whilst working from home, was just great radio. Goals flying in, teams going from top to bottom in a matter of minutes, English pundits getting excited that England were going to be playing Hungary then Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals, Germany going out for long periods then they end up facing England. It was breathtaking listening and it was a losing battle trying to concentrate on work. I wonder if those watching on the tele had as much fun.

Comment

I haven't been able to find a link for the complete 5 Live broadcast of Italy-Austria. All of the various listings on the Sounds BBC site push to a file that ends during extra time. Did anyone find a link to a complete broadcast?

Comment

Is anyone else listening to Elis & John's European Sundays on R5L during the tournament?

They could actually do a passable job of a proper Danny Baker style 606 if the BBC wanted to go back in that direction but I'm sure they don't.

Comment

I haven't been able to find a link for the complete 5 Live broadcast of Italy-Austria. All of the various listings on the Sounds BBC site push to a file that ends during extra time. Did anyone find a link to a complete broadcast?
                                      I've just experienced the same with the Croatia-Spain match. 3-3 thriller, extra-time just started, apparently an amazing save from the Spanish 'keeper, then silence. I thought I'd be clever and just play the next programme on the 5 Live schedule thinking it would be a continuation of the extra-time, but no, I was immediately told that Spain had won. Aargh!!

It's always a danger when you listen to/watch a live game on catch-up and you see the slide bar at the bottom goes on for 3 hours - kinda gives it away there'll be extra time. But looks like the BBC have solved this issue but just cutting short the programme and fooling me into thinking it was all sorted in normal time. I wonder if they realise we're now in the knock-out stages and extra-time and penalties is a definite possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post

I've just experienced the same with the Croatia-Spain match. 3-3 thriller, extra-time just started, apparently an amazing save from the Spanish 'keeper, then silence. I thought I'd be clever and just play the next programme on the 5 Live schedule thinking it would be a continuation of the extra-time, but no, I was immediately told that Spain had won. Aargh!!

It's always a danger when you listen to/watch a live game on catch-up and you see the slide bar at the bottom goes on for 3 hours - kinda gives it away there'll be extra time. But looks like the BBC have solved this issue but just cutting short the programme and fooling me into thinking it was all sorted in normal time. I wonder if they realise we're now in the knock-out stages and extra-time and penalties is a definite possibility.
                                        The updated the Italy-Austria game today and uploaded a proper time for France-Switzerland so no idea what motivates the thinking. Obviously, the ideal solution is to choose by the date for all the radio stuff and then go into the next program. But the BBC has outsmarted themselves. The live broadcast following Italy-Austria pushed to the 606 podcast and the live broadcast following Croatia-Spain is actually the broadcast that started whenever the game ended, so it's not like setting a DVR to record cable/satellite and adding the next broadcast time slot(s).

Comment

I've just listened to the France-Switzerland game and it ended as we got to the bloody penalties!! Straight onto the i-player to catch the shoot-out on the highlights show, and thankfully they showed all of them. I've just contacted the BBC with a "please explain" so hopefully they fix this ASAP.

Comment

I received a response from the BBC saying the Switzerland-France game has now been fixed and users can now listen to the extra-time and penalties. Too bloody late!! Of course, the haven't fixed the actual issue as it cut out again at the start of extra-time when I listened to the Switzerland-Spain game yesterday. Useless bastards.

Listening to the Czech Republic-Denmark game, the co-commentator Izzy Christiansen kept referring to Kasper Schmeichel as "She-Michael". With her Scandi-sounding surname, maybe she's pronouncing it right and we've been getting it all wrong since the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                                              I received a response from the BBC saying the Switzerland-France game has now been fixed and users can now listen to the extra-time and penalties. Too bloody late!! Of course, the haven't fixed the actual issue as it cut out again at the start of extra-time when I listened to the Switzerland-Spain game yesterday. Useless bastards.

Listening to the Czech Republic-Denmark game, the co-commentator Izzy Christiansen kept referring to Kasper Schmeichel as "She-Michael". With her Scandi-sounding surname, maybe she's pronouncing it right and we've been getting it all wrong since the 90's.
                                              They list a longer time but the files are the same for Switzerland-France and for Sweden-Ukraine.

Comment

Isn't Schmeichel a Polish name?

Comment

Yes, his dad (full name Peter Bolesław Schmeichel) had Polish citizenship (from his dad) until 1970.

In Danish, the 'ch' seems to be silent: "Smy-kill", first syllable emphasized. I have no idea about the Polish pronunciation, but I assume they would have switched it around the same time the whole family became Danish citizens, or Peter always used the Danish as soon as he started mixing with kids outside his family (and his mother was Danish anyway).
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-07-2021, 19:23.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X