Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Team In Euro Finals History

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #26
    That would be very tough given how high quality the group was.

    Comment


      #27
      They were poor, however.

      Comment


        #28
        It was as if they were having some sort of collective on field breakdown.

        Comment


          #29
          A related question could be. Which team's performance in the finals was shocking given how well they were playing in the qualifiers/run-up?

          Comment


            #30
            Turkey are good shout for this.

            They finished just behind France in their group and beat them in Istanbul.

            Comment


              #31
              Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              A related question could be. Which team's performance in the finals was shocking given how well they were playing in the qualifiers/run-up?
              Yugoslavia had a forgettable Euro 92 despite qualifying ahead of a decent Danish side

              Comment


                #32
                England shouldn't have been so bad in 88. Beat Yugoslavia 2-0 at home and 4-1 away in qualifying. Beat N.Ireland (got to World Cups back then) 3-0 at home and 2-0 away. Beat Turkey 8-0. 19 goals scored in 6 games and conceded 1.

                Comment


                  #33
                  HP's question is really the one that highlights Turkey, given that their qualification record was so good, including taking points off France and generally looking extremely solid at the back. This is tempered a bit by the actual tournament being so much later than the qualifiers and Turkey were pants in their friendlies, especially defensively. Still, that qualifying record and the fact that they had a lot of players in really good sides in club soccer meant that people were thinking they could be dangerous in this tournament.

                  Comment


                    #34
                    ITV. It's always ITV.

                    Comment


                      #35
                      There's also the start Turkey made to the world cup qualifiers, putting four past Turkey, winning 3-0 in Norway. They did draw 3-3 at home to Latvia, but that was the third game in a week, and, well, shit happens. Nothing there to suggest they''d be so piss poor here- unrest in the camp?

                      EDIT: Put four past the Netherlands. Putting four past themselves would be a bit much, it's not like they're Portugal or something
                      Last edited by Nesta; 22-06-2021, 09:12.

                      Comment


                        #36
                        Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                        the start Turkey made to the world cup qualifiers, putting four past Turkey
                        So there were signs...

                        Comment


                          #37
                          Damn it.

                          Excellent poacher's finish though Sheep, right place, right time

                          Comment


                            #38
                            Originally posted by Sheep View Post

                            So there were signs...
                            Any more of that and you'll be getting baa'ed.

                            Comment


                              #39
                              Originally posted by Tommasi View Post
                              England shouldn't have been so bad in 88. Beat Yugoslavia 2-0 at home and 4-1 away in qualifying. Beat N.Ireland (got to World Cups back then) 3-0 at home and 2-0 away. Beat Turkey 8-0. 19 goals scored in 6 games and conceded 1.
                              Similarly, 1980 - scored 22 goals in eight matches, dropping just one point in the Republic of Ireland and conceding zero goals at Wembley.

                              Comment


                                #40
                                It seems to happen more in World Cups: Colombia 1994*, Argentina 2002 were both failures after an excellent previous 2 years IIRC. West Germany were on a long unbeaten stretch before they lost to Algeria in 1982.

                                *But Colombia had been poor in Italia 90 so 1994 was a continuation of that, arguably.

                                Comment


                                  #41
                                  Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                                  HP's question is really the one that highlights Turkey, given that their qualification record was so good, including taking points off France and generally looking extremely solid at the back. This is tempered a bit by the actual tournament being so much later than the qualifiers and Turkey were pants in their friendlies, especially defensively. Still, that qualifying record and the fact that they had a lot of players in really good sides in club soccer meant that people were thinking they could be dangerous in this tournament.
                                  Were Turkey that bad? They did ok against Italy for 55 minutes until they stuck one in their own net. They narrowly lost to an inspired Wales then lost an open free-flowing game to Switzerland where both sides needed to win, and win heavily.

                                  Comment


                                    #42
                                    They were pretty bad. Bale dribbling through them from a short corner- twice in a row! - at the end against Wales was shambolic, a sign of real malaise.

                                    Comment


                                      #43
                                      I was going to suggest CIS for this as the only result of theirs I could remember was the 0-3 defeat to Scotland in Euro 92. I was surprised to see they drew their 2 other games against tough opposition.

                                      Comment


                                        #44
                                        Originally posted by Bizarre Lw Triangle View Post
                                        Were Turkey that bad? They did ok against Italy for 55 minutes until they stuck one in their own net. They narrowly lost to an inspired Wales then lost an open free-flowing game to Switzerland where both sides needed to win, and win heavily.
                                        I certainly thought they were, mainly because I expected more from them, if you had put a team like the current Sweden in their place, nobody would have raised an eyebrow, the problem is nobody was predicting pre-tournament that the Swedes could make it as far as the semis. And it was the nature of the losses as well, how they didn't even try to attack Italy, how the Welsh team ripped them apart in the first half, the way the team collapsed at the first sign of adversity in all three games.

                                        Comment


                                          #45
                                          Russia in 2016 were worse than Turkey this year IMO. But they still managed to pick up a point against England.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X