Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Team In Euro Finals History

Qualifier: Worst relative to the field.

Turkey in Euro 2020? Ireland finished on -8 in 2012 but that was a stronger group: the two finalists plus Croatia.

Bulgaria in 2004: lost 5-0 to Sweden, finished on -8.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-06-2021, 16:40.

Trap's Ireland of 2012.

Comment

England at Euro '88 have to be in with a shout

Comment

Once you're into the eight team format pre 1996 you would have to say the quality of the teams is very high from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          England at Euro '88 have to be in with a shout
          Worse than 1992 and 2000?

Comment

Inasmuch as we went home with no points, absolutely. '92 we were in the semi-finals at half time in our last game, and in 2000 we were ahead at some point in all three group games.

Comment

Not the final stages as such but I didn't know until 5 minutes ago that Albania were resposible for West Germany's 68 disaster.

https://impromptuinc.wordpress.com/2...t-germany-0-0/

Comment

Turkey were also poor in Euro 96 but, as above, I'd assume that a group in a 16 teams finals was stronger than in a 24 (that one was Portugal, Croatia, Denmark, all fairly good sides but none got further than the QF).

Comment

Germany in 2000 were absolutely fucking abject. And I don't mean by the standards of Germany, I mean by any standards. It was between them and norway
                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 20-06-2021, 17:30.

Comment

Was it the 2000 Germany squad that Beckenbauer said " if you put them all in a sack, and hit it with a stick, you wouldn't hurt a footballer "

Comment

Denmark in 1988 finished with an identical record to England, in what could be argued was the weaker group.

Comment

Fair shout but only an 8 team finals. I have to believe that those teams would have got out of a group in a 24 team tournament.

Comment

Denmark in 2000 were abysmal, though they did get hammered by very good teams.

Comment

Austria qualified as co-hosts in 2008, and I remember them being particularly poor, although they actually finished third in their group, their defeats (to Germany and Croatia) where only by a single goal, and they got a draw with an equally poor Poland.

In the same tournament, Greece's defending champions lost all 3 games, although they were in a group with Spain and a decent Russia.

Turkey have been terrible, but Ireland 2012 stick in the memory as worse in their cluelessness, even though they were up against strong opponents.

Comment

England in 2016 were something else. I’ve never seen a worse team performance than against Iceland and I’ve watched some shite.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                Denmark in 2000 were abysmal, though they did get hammered by very good teams.
                                Statistically the worst team. Conceded 8 and never scored

Comment

Germany lost to england at euro 2000. Alan Shearer scored.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    Must have been one of the few poor games in that tournament. Tells you something when beating Germany is the most forgettable match England played.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      Once you're into the eight team format pre 1996 you would have to say the quality of the teams is very high from the start.
                                      Since we were in the last 8, Graham Taylor's England got as far as the Golden Generation did

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                        I remember that moment well, if not the rest of the game, because it was the one and only time in my life I've approximated sounding like a stereotypical 'football fan'.

At that time I was just barely starting to surface from a truly vicious nine-month depression after a hideous relationship breakup that annihilated me, and one survival tactic I clung to at that precise moment was trying to appreciate an international football tournament coming around, in the manner of a so-called typical fan – by way of reminding myself that the same 'normal' teenager I'd been until really quite recently was still alive somewhere aside, just buried very deep under the black leaden weights clamped to the inside of my skull and chest cavity 24/7 since the previous autumn. When that goal went in I actually jumped up in my tiny grotty rented student bedroom where I was watching it on my own and shouted "Sheeeear-err!", in a fashion I've never otherwise done before or since. Because despite everything it looked like England might actually be playing well and beating Germany – Germany!! – and so perhaps there was a spark of regular life worth clinging to.

Obviously, it proved an entirely false dawn, in more ways that one. For that England team, because it turned out it was the one tournament where the German side was even more shit than the English one, so beating them on this occasion was ultimately no great shakes. It certainly didn't lead onto anything good from the tournament for England, and I've never seen the goal or anything from that game again since. And I realised swiftly enough too that no, no matter how much part of me might like to, I'm just never going to be a bloke. And I've never done an unironic 'football cheer' again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommasi View Post

Since we were in the last 8, Graham Taylor's England got as far as the Golden Generation did
                                          1) Arguably he hadn't had enough time to destroy the 1990 side yet.

2) They needed a handball goal by Dennis Wise in Turkey and an equalizer by Lineker in Poland (77") to get over the qualifying line.

3) Those lucky breaks used up all of Taylor's luck, leaving him with none for 1993 in that Netherlands game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_E...ifying_Group_7

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post
                                            England in 2016 were something else. I’ve never seen a worse team performance than against Iceland and I’ve watched some shite.
                                            Iceland were pretty good. They finished second in their group ahead of er, champions Portugal, they also drew with hungary and beat austria before losing to France in the quarter final when they essentially just completely ran out of steam.

Iceland were better than England because they were as close to a club side as you will get in international football, and played like they could pass to each other in the dark. This gave them such a massive advantage against teams that had nearly 200 times as many people to pick from.

Comment

England went in without a tactical plan and all the talk beforehand was about playing France in the quarter finals. Then they got the penalty and it felt like the game was going their way without them even really trying. Credit to Iceland for coming back and totally derailing them.

Comment

The game thread on here is an interesting artifact - in between references to the Brexit vote there is some analysis on the England line up and tactics
                                                https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-three-eng-ice

Comment

No tough-love for Yugoslavia in 1984? Finished on zero points and a -8 GD (which included a spectacular 0-5 reversal to Denmark).

Pretty sure that they're also the only finalists to concede double-figures in group matches since the Euros went 'tournament'.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X