X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany Hungary

thought i'd start the thread off with this

https://twitter.com/NevilleSouthall/status/1406369730802470920?s=20

Well, as thread titles go, that’s about as minimalist as one can get.

Probably the best move we’ve seen in German football since the 2014 World Cup, however.

Comment

I'd have riffed on as theme along the lines of "HUNGER Game in Munich".

Anyway, great proposal by Munich's council, a red enclave in a Bavarian mountain range of reactionaries.

If Hungary win, Germany is definitely out, and Hungary finish third.
      If Germany win, they are through and could top the group if France doesn't beat Portugal.
      If HUNGER is a draw, Germany are definitely through, at least in third place, because two groups can't any longer produce a third-placed team with 4 points and +1 GD..

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        Munich's council, a red enclave in a Bavarian mountain range of reactionaries.
        Is that so?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Is that so?
          No, large parts of Bavaria are flat.

Comment

Very good

Comment

UEFA has dropped it's inverigation into Manuel Neuer wearing a rainbow armband.

"UEFA drops investigation into Manuel Neuer's rainbow armband, deciding it’s a ‘symbol for diversity’" https://twitter.com/i/events/1406850078103408645?s=09

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                UEFA has dropped it's inverigation into Manuel Neuer wearing a rainbow armband.

"UEFA drops investigation into Manuel Neuer's rainbow armband, deciding it’s a ‘symbol for diversity’" https://twitter.com/i/events/1406850078103408645?s=09
                That's good. Now how is the investigation into Hungarian homophobia going?

Comment

Viv Richards wore the Rasta tricolour wristband throughout his career. I don't think it would have been a good idea to try to stop him.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-06-2021, 16:46.

Comment

My impressions of German TV after 2 days holiday: absolutely brilliant female commentary team on ZDF2. They got every nuance of Wales - Italy spot on.

And Bastian Schweinsteiger is a proper nice, modest bloke talking to somebody I could easily fall in love with.

Proper football country, Germany. Struggling to find anything they do wrong since April 2006 and post Lothar Mattheus.

Comment

And Goretska's hair is bloody cool. Proper 40s.

Comment

Struggling to find anything they do wrong since April 2006 and post Lothar Mattheus.
                        Complacency after 2014, perhaps, or just a generational dip in player quality? 2018 might have been freakish but they have clearly dropped behind France and perhaps Belgium.

Comment

Perhaps not being the undisputed best team in Europe doesn't equate to "doing something wrong" in my book.

Comment

Germany just seem to have a classic international-side problem in that while they have loads of good players, they all seem to play the same positions. They're spoiled for choice in central midfield and for wide attackers, and then are fallow elsewhere.

Comment

UEFA - against homophobia. unless demonstrating that involves upsetting homophobes

https://twitter.com/skysports_bryan/status/1407249294655098883?s=20

Comment

"Political" as in "annoying fascists".

Comment

I can understand UEFA's logic on this. They're thinking that if they let one political gesture in ,you let them all. The fact that morally it stinks, and the far right can easily bring political symbols into football grounds, undermines their stance. That, and they reckon that they might need Budapest for the final.

Comment

It's nonsense, though, as there is no way of determining what is and isn't "political" that isn't itself political.

Comment

I love Goretzka saying something to the effect that Neuer will wear the rainbow armband even if UEFA forbids it. Staring the mighty UEFA down in a fight UEFA can't win.

This is a really decent German team, as a group of human beings.

Comment

I wonder if UEFA have noticed the Hungary ultras wear black shirts.

Comment

I really, really hope they have the courage to light the stadium up anyway ("Sorry, we were showing the new German coach around the stadium and Hansi flicked the wrong switch."). What's Uefa going to do? Call the game off? Take Euro 2024 off Germany and give it to Turkey (or Hungary) instead?

Comment

Koln are lighting their ground and Eintacht are considering the same.

I think it would be more powerful if half a dozen clubs around the country did it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              It's nonsense, though, as there is no way of determining what is and isn't "political" that isn't itself political.
                                              Great sentence. I'm stealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Koln are lighting their ground and Eintacht are considering the same.

I think it would be more powerful if half a dozen clubs around the country did it.
                                                German football is really leading the way with this. The action by 11 Freunde earlier this year, whereby several hundred football players committed themselves to equality, probably has articulated and entrenched the more activist drive to non-discrimination. It was there before, of course. For several years now FC Köln has been engaged in this, backed by its ultras. The same applies to some other clubs.

Incidentally, I believe umlauts and accents are working again here.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                  I really, really hope they have the courage to light the stadium up anyway ("Sorry, we were showing the new German coach around the stadium and Hansi flicked the wrong switch."). What's Uefa going to do? Call the game off? Take Euro 2024 off Germany and give it to Turkey (or Hungary) instead?
                                                  Sue for breach of contracts, or somesuch manouevre.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X