No announcement yet.

WAL-ITA, or the SUI-TUR option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Wales will be up for it. It's Italy. You want to prove yourself against the top sides.

Comment

That's true. Why bother turning up here if you're not going to try to beat the best sides? OTOH, for most sides, this phase is solely about getting out of the group, and anything above that is wasted energy and unnecessarily risking injury.

Comment

As we've seen Bale isn't one to rest on his laurels so I think he will be up for it - even just in patches - and, of course, Ramsey is back in Italy. Let's be honest, those are the two we need performing to nick something out of this, even if it's a point. Of course, the other issue is that this is an Italian team that hasn't let in a goal nor scored less than 2 in a game since October so I doubt they will be sitting back either - even if they don't exactly go for it. I remember going to the away game after we beat them in Cardiff in what I think was one of the best performances I have seen from a Wales team (certainly pre-2016). We were beaten 4-0 at the San Siro. However, I feel that this is still a better Welsh team.

Comment

8 changes for Italy and 3 for Wales.

The yellow card amnesty kicks in for the quarter finals and not the last 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            That's true. Why bother turning up here if you're not going to try to beat the best sides? OTOH, for most sides, this phase is solely about getting out of the group, and anything above that is wasted energy and unnecessarily risking injury.
            Problem is we're not out of the group. We have to give it a go cos finishing third and spending the week fretting about what everyone else is doing doesn't much appeal. We need to at the very least run Italy close and that's not a small ask.

Comment

I don't think Wales winning would be that big an upset, tbh. Bale and Ramsey, with everyone else clearly well-drilled around them? Italy have flattered to deceive so far but don't have any particular stars like in the old days. If anything, if Wales do get a thumping tonight that ultimately leads to elimination I think they'll be disappointed.

Comment

Forza Cymru!

Comment

Did they say why the black armbands?

Comment

1-0 Suisses

Comment

In the 8th minute I have my first (since I turned on at 7 minutes) hearing of "if the scores remain this way...". I'm sure that's not at all premature.

Comment

I'll be amazed if any team goes out with 4 points.

Comment

Surely Wales want to be sure to finish in the top 2 of the group. Either way, they'll play a 2nd-placed team (likely Ukraine or Austria if 1st, or Russia/Denmark/Finland if 2nd). Finish third, they'll play a group winner (Belgium or Spain/Sweden/Slovakia).

Comment

What odds would you have got on Gunter scoring the first goal?

Comment

2-0 Helvetia - really starting to eat into that goal difference.

Comment

It would be good domestic bragging rights to beat Italy given England have never done so (in a finals tournament).

Swiss 2-0 up, need another 2 to go 2nd I think, if Wales lose 1-0.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-06-2021, 16:32.

Comment

This Turkey is so rank... like making a sandwich from leftovers on Epiphany.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                    This Turkey is so rank... like making a sandwich from leftovers on Epiphany.
                                    You're only supposed to stuff them once.

Comment

That's opened things up.

Comment

DON'T PANIC!

Comment

OK, that was nearly time to start panicking.

Comment

Assuming an Italy v Belgium QF, whom would you fancy? On play so far it's Italy, with Belgium relying on outstanding individuals to overcome the coach's tactical shitness.

Comment

I have made my piece with us finishing third and then going out.

Comment

Switzerland are cutting through Turkey almost at will, I wouldn't hold out too much hope of their goal difference getting any worse. Sommer has made some good saves but really, Turkey are beaten already.

Comment

Half time. I dunno, I'm not that disappointed so far. Wales had a couple of good spells.. and several let offs.

Hoping Turkey have one decent half and get something back against the Swiss.

Comment

I have to say that Italy's (mostly) second XI looks pretty impressive. Wales are playing ok, although Morrell is having a shocker, having given the ball away several times in dangerous positions.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X