No Portuguese Pundits: Portugal v Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Why does he look so unhappy when scoring? Is he always like this?
    I've googled some of his previous goals and he does celebrate, and smile, but in general he's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      My name is Ray de Galles and I endorse this kit match-up.
      Agreed. How come they could do it for this game, and France-Hungary, when for so many they can’t? Block colours are one of the most annoying aspects of modern international football.

Comment

Gosens definitely picked up an injury because it was mentioned on commentary but he was still running around between the knock and the substitution so perhaps just a niggle that will recover during the rest period.

Did Germany play this well at any point in Euro 2016, when they were losing SFs?

Comment

There was a 3-0 against Skovakia in the 2nd round, but Germany were dull in that tournament. Reaching the semi final covered the cracks that would lead to the crash in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
            Gosens was Germany's best player against France as well. He's the new Podolski.
            He clearly should have been sent off, and suspended for this game. So there's that.

Comment

There is indeed that. Plus, I didn't think Germany had any good players against France.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

He clearly should have been sent off, and suspended for this game. So there's that.
                For what? Colliding with a player? It was reckless while going for a legit ball, and for that he deserved a yellow card. But a straight red? We've seen far worse fouls in this competition that were not punished, studs-on-bone stuff. Anyway, the scene was checked by VAR, and on review not considered straight red. UEFA reviewed it after the game, and after investgation decided not to sanction Gosens.

So you can argue the toss for a red card, but Gosens can't be said to have got away with anything. Three legitimate authorities independently investigated the scene, and none thought it required a red card or a subsequently imposed ban. So not so clear after all. There's that.

Comment

For challenging for a header with his hip. It's wrong when a keeper does it too. It's a textbook example of dangerous play, and is so far removed from what you should be doing that it's obvious that it should be a red card.

The VAR in the German France game must have been given a massive bung. There is no other explanation for Germany getting away with three straight reds and a penalty.

Comment

UEFA wants to keep Germany in for TV exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                      Three legitimate authorities independently investigated the scene, and none thought it required a red card or a subsequently imposed ban. So not so clear after all. There's that.
                      That's a touching faith in "legitimate authorities". Since when has Uefa or VAR or the on-field referee been considered by the esteemed members of this board as in any way infallible? Germany were fucking lucky to come out of that French game without any red cards or subsequent suspensions. That Gosens' violent play (and Rüdiger's violent conduct) went unpunished only highlights the hypocritical disconnect between the laws of the game (and all the bollocksy moralising about Respect) and their actual implementation.

Comment

Well, it so happened that I agree with the authorities regarding Gosens. It was a yellow, maybe even orange, but not a red. As I said, you can argue the toss for a red card. My argument is that the scene wasn't as definitive as you and TAB suggest.

Whereas Rüdiger is clear-cut. He should have been suspended.

Comment

Working...
                        X