No announcement yet.

No Portuguese Pundits: Portugal v Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys know this is a major international tournament and not a summer friendly in Birmingham, Alabama, yes?

Comment

A lot of VAR in this game. Is it a coincidence that the officials are English?

Comment

Hummels is icing his knees during the "cooling break"

Comment

Paul Breitner celebrating there.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
            A lot of VAR in this game. Is it a coincidence that the officials are English?
            Could just be a lot more has happened than in a lot of other games

Comment

They use bottled water in disposable plastic bottles during the cooling break. Surely a sports team should have refillable water bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                They use bottled water in disposable plastic bottles during the cooling break. Surely a sports team should have refillable water bottles.
                Sharing bottles not on?

Comment

Sanches hits the postage stamp!

Comment

I think pundits ought to be able to pronounce the names of players they see in the EPL every week (and must frequently have heard being pronounced correctly). OTOH Derek Rae is the only commentator who correctly pronounces the Portuguese EPL players.

Comment

Loewe's substitutions have not helped here. Taking Gosens off straight after his goal was a very deflating move. Germany have been very flat since then.

Comment

Someone stick another quid in the machine so we can keep the excitement going

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Really can't understand why this gets people so wound up. It's a wholly different and unnatural way of pronouncing in many cases, and can sound far worse if they do attempt a proper pronunciation.
                          I can't imagine European commentators have any more success with names like Maguire or McLaughlin to be fair.

I'm just always surprised that when a foreign player's name is seriously mispronounced over here it's put down to some sort of laziness that's unique to British commentators or pundits. Like you, I'd be surprised if other countries' football folk are flawless in this regard and I suspect that when they do get something wrong it's not dwelt on so critically.

Comment

Two draws in the last group games puts the big 3 all through, with France as group winners.

Comment

I reckon Germany might yet be best placed for top spot now.

Comment

This makes any titting about around "do England want to finish first or second" irrelevant at least, as now it's the teams in Groups E and F who have the opportunity to know who and where they play next. England won't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  This makes any titting about around "do England want to finish first or second" irrelevant at least, as now it's the teams in Groups E and F who have the opportunity to know who and where they play next. England won't know.
                                  Probably just as well really, if England are to progress they have to play one of them in either the round of 16 or the QF. Getting the home tie in the next round should be the target. There is a strong possibility that the alternative will be playing Sweden in what will be a near home game for them in Copenhagen, and if they get past that, the Group F winners in St Petersburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I'm just always surprised that when a foreign player's name is seriously mispronounced over here it's put down to some sort of laziness that's unique to British commentators or pundits. Like you, I'd be surprised if other countries' football folk are flawless in this regard and I suspect that when they do get something wrong it's not dwelt on so critically.
                                    It's not just me then. It just gives off a vibe of snark and superiority at times to me.

"I think you'll find it's actually pronounced 'tyoreeee-tho'".

Comment

Gosens joining Dumfries as early breakout stars?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                        Gosens joining Dumfries as early breakout stars?
                                        For a second I thought you were telling us he had signed for Queen of the South.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

The worst thing in the UK is the incorrect attempt at pronunciation which becomes more offensive than just pronouncing it with your own pronunciation system. Jose Mourinho mentions it in that Amazon documentary about Spurs, saying after a decade working in the UK, commentators still call him "Ho-zay" when his name uses the exact same /jeh/ sound as in English: "Jo-zay". Every commentator who says "Hor-hay Hee-zus" deserves flogging, it's pronounced exactly as it would be in English: Jorge Jesus.

I think I've said before, but I went from 2004 until 2012 thinking Cesc Fabregas second name was pronounced "Fa-bray-gas" because that's how it was pronounced in Portugal. But I prefer a natural pronunciation than an falsely assumed one.

Edit: add to this, when living in other countries, I just accept people will pronounce Stephen incorrectly, it's no big thing.
                                          Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 19-06-2021, 19:23.

Comment

But it is Fa-bray-gas...

Comment

I think the question I asked after the France game - "I have no fucking idea why he [Gosens] is in the team" - has been answered to my satisfaction.

The nation demanded Jogi change his line-up. Jogi ignored the nation. Jogi wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

It's not just me then. It just gives off a vibe of snark and superiority at times to me.

"I think you'll find it's actually pronounced 'tyoreeee-tho'".
                                                I'm not wound up (and I'm sure it happens in other countries), it's just a bit odd - I'd never even heard Gundogan pronounced with the hard G, ever, so don't get why somebody does it. It's not hard to say, as everybody else can attest.

Anyway, back from my 'friends' meal, and watched the rest. Great game.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                                  I think the question I asked after the France game - "I have no fucking idea why he [Gosens] is in the team" - has been answered to my satisfaction.

The nation demanded Jogi change his line-up. Jogi ignored the nation. Jogi wins.
                                                  Gosens was Germany's best player against France as well. He's the new Podolski.

Löw changed tactics, but I would be happy to speculate that losing only 1-0 to France actually gave the team confidence. After the debacles in Spain and against North Macedonia, Germany was more afraid of getting thrashed than motivated to go for a win, especially after going down so early. They were inhibited. Against Portugal, there was a confidence which even going behind couldn't shake. Jogi not changing the team probably helped build that confidence.

The three subs on the hour apparently were all due to injuries and/or niggles.

Comment

Made some crap joke about Gosens having been a great figure skater too which evidently went right over the head of my 40-something friend. "Ah, you wouldn't remember who Robin Cousins is, would you?"

"Oh yes, I remember him," she said, still unsmiling.

Loved that Germany performance. At one point, they had the momentum of inevitability they had in that World Cup semi against Brazil. For the fourth, before the cross had even come in from the right, I said, "Here's another goal". And it was.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X