Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much more are UK TV going to show Scot v Eng 96 in the lead-up to tomorrow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Just watching the build-up on ITV4 now. Impressive how much booing of the respective anthems there was, from both sides.
    I've got it on now while I eat my lunch. It's a full commentary with Brian Moore and Ron Atkinson. The other angle here is that ITV were probably doing an international feed live even if they weren't showing it domestically. Whenever I watched games in English and Irish bars on holiday in America in the 1990s it was always ITV commentary.

Comment

I've always noticed with Euros and Worlds that ITV tend to use the tournament graphics, whereas BBC tend to use their own - such as the clock and score in the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
        I just watched the highlights from the Euro 2000 Qualifier Playoffs - I remember little besides Scholes scoring twice for England. Sol Campbell operating as quite a useful right back?
        That was the game where reportedly Keegan let the squad stay up drinking and playing cards on the Saturday night after the Hampden game, at which a lot of drink was said to have been taken. The venue for this hedonism was Carlisle's somewhat stuffy Cumbria Park Hotel.

Comment

I see the Tartan Army are bringing their own special "flavour" to a very wet central London today.
          Yeah, we're sorry about that, but I don't know that it has warranted the Met issuing a dispersal order to "prevent the public being caused alarm, harassment and distress and stop criminality".

Meanwhile, a lesser known (& sober) battalion of the TA that raise and distribute money to disadvantaged childrens charities on their travels has donated £5K to Little Lives UK in Fulham.
          https://twitter.com/TACC_Scotland/status/1405862228948049922

Comment

Am I the only one who finds Gascoigne’s goal somewhat overrated?

The ball sits nicely for him after bouncing, and whilst the flick over Hendry was cute, he wasn’t exactly the most mobile of centre backs, and it’s not an outrageous piece of skill. The finish was then a fairly straightforward half volley.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good goal, and was a great moment for England fans, but I just don’t agree with some who seem to think it one of the great goals of all time.

Comment

There was the unusual aspect of him using both feet in the move, flicking the ball with his left and then finishing with his right, something many English players at the time would struggle to do.

Watching it earlier was a reminder that the live TV pictures at the time didn't actually show the "dentist's chair", they showed him going down with his mouth open, cut to crowd and bench reactions, and then returned to him lying on the ground with players standing round which didn't make a lot of sense at the time until they replayed the actual celebration later. One of those things that most people would swear blind they saw happen live but didn't.

Comment

I don't think it was overrated. I stood up and applauded even though I was alone in my flat. You might as well say Pele's even better example from 1958 is overrated because the Swedes were lumbering heavyweights in steel boots.

TV: I think BBC had Eng v Sco and the QF v Spain in exchange for ITV having the 1st and 3rd games. Both had the SF. Obviously ITV would record the full commentary for extended evening highlights.

My AEB feelings are slipping every time an England player is interviewed and the team takes the knee. These guys deserve to be praised. Their only character flaw AFAIK is the diving but they learn that at their clubs. Scotland seemed rather one-dimensional and technically poor against the Czechs so are not going to missed.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-06-2021, 13:06.

Comment

Hope today's match between government-supporting and separatist-controlled regions of the troubled United Kingdom passes without violent incident and isn't used by the region's authoritarian Prime Minister to stir up ethnic tensions.

Comment

I'm tempted to nick that for Twitter, BLT

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I'm tempted to nick that for Twitter, BLT
                      Feel free!

Comment

Working...
                      X