It's 1870 and 1982 all over again - France v Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the applicable regulations on colour clashes

In order to minimise colour clashes, there must be a clear contrast between each team’s first-choice and second-choice outfield player attires, to the extent that they could be worn by opposing teams in a match.

If one playing attire comprises predominantly dark colours, the other must comprise predominantly light colours, or if one of the playing attires is hooped, banded, striped or checked, the other must not contain either of the colours of the hoops/bands/stripes/checks.

Teams must have at least two goalkeeper attires which clearly contrast with each other and with the first-choice and second-choice outfield player attires.

A team may be requested to combine items from more than one of its approved outfield player and/or goalkeeper attires (shirt, shorts or socks), in order to create a visible contrast with the other team.

Comment

Shame that was offside as it was a beautiful (non) goal

Comment

Nice of the linesman to waste a minute but let us see a lovely goal before putting his flag up.

Comment

I must have missed the new FIFA guideline that says that the offside flag doesn't go up until the ball is in the back of the net.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand these very late flags for offside. Mbappe gets the ball, runs around for a few minutes, then hits a worldy into the corner. THEN the flag goes up? Happened to Hungary earlier too. Why the delay? New rule or old rule I haven't noticed?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Best goal to get chalked off?
              Beat me to it. What a thing of beauty that was - and none of the defenders had a clue he was offside.

Comment

Couldn't they just chalk off Hummels’ OG and count that one instead?

Comment

Is this the poorest German team for some years?

Comment

Deschamps is really just going to leave Pavard on, huh?

Comment

Late flags are to let the move play out just in case, the VAR will tidy up

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                        I'm struggling to understand these very late flags for offside. Mbappe gets the ball, runs around for a few minutes, then hits a worldy into the corner. THEN the flag goes up? Happened to Hungary earlier too. Why the delay? New rule or old rule I haven't noticed?
                        Might be coming through his ear from the VAR room
                        only explanation I can think of

They are definitely implementing VAR less intrusively in this tournament

edit; or alternatively what Nesta said, indeed

Comment

Hence just the two penalties in twelve matches thus far.

Comment

Another example of how VAR is improving the game as a spectacle.

Comment

So I'm told that the not flagging is deliberate and not an error. Jesus, what a fucking shitty way to run football.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post
                                Late flags are to let the move play out just in case, the VAR will tidy up
                                It was in operation at the last World Cup afaik. I'm amazed that people haven't spotted it before now.

Comment

How was that not a penalty?

Comment

That was a crystal clear penalty for France.

Comment

The global feed director is brave to be showing Low on the sideline. Seems like it's a gamble with what we might be seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

Might be coming through his ear from the VAR room
                                        only explanation I can think of

They are definitely implementing VAR less intrusively in this tournament
                                        Definitely, as was the case in WC 2018. Which begs the question why the PL has made such a balls of it.

Comment

Hummels got the ball but went through Mbappe's legs. VAR must not have thought that the ref made a mistake.

Comment

The late flag might be common but it's also ridiculous. If the linesman thinks it's offside why wait? And how long can he let play go on for before flagging? Can we have 5 minutes of tiki-taki around the box after an offside pass before someone scores and then he flags?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                              The global feed director is brave to be showing Low on the sideline. Seems like it's a gamble with what we might be seeing.
                                              Well, he’s yet to do a ‘Damarcus Beasley’...

Will this be disallowed?

Comment

Well deserved for France

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  How was that not a penalty?
                                                  We seem to be seeing very few replays of key contentious incidents during games but the one they've show so far of that one made it look very much a penalty.

The almost incidental scrape of the ball by Hummel's studs is probably what saved him but I'm not sure it wasn't after he hooked Mbappe's ankle.

Academic now.

Comment

Game over

Comment

Working...
                                                    X